What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5TH ASHES TEST: @ The Oval London July 26-30, 2023

Valheru

Coach
You basically lost 3 straight tests, you got away with one but have been outplayed for the majority of the series despite England basically gifting you a 2-0 lead.

Why are you that surprised though? How many big test series have Australia won away in the past 6 years?
I'm not sure as an English cricket fan, I would be throwing shade at other teams away performances.

The ashes only has the interest it does because of how Australia performs in England. When it is hosted in Australia it is a dull series because we all know the result before a ball is even bowled in anger.

last 10 ashes series in England

England - 18
Australia - 23
Draw - 12

Last 10 tashes series in Australia

England - 9
Australia - 33
Draw - 8

5 of the wins came in the 2 series they won in that time so only 4 wins out of 40 tests in the series they have lost.

lol

bazza

Immortal
Australia could have won at least 4 of those tests but it was throwing away wickets in Headingly and poor fielding at the Oval that cost them

Saying that England could have one the first 2 tests for the same reasons

King-Gutho94

Coach
I don't get the cheating call.

It's akin to calling us cheats for the Bairstow appeal, we are entitled to appeal, it's up to the ump to give it out or otherwise.

The poms didn't change the ball, the umps did, they are entitled to ask much like we are.
Joel Wilson was blind in 2019 and clearly his vision has got worse in 2023

King-Gutho94

Coach
Ultimately it's pretty hard to win away series, especially in England. They have lost less series at home the past 10 years than Australia have. Their bowlers are very skillful in their conditions and we always struggle to get much more than 300. We would have been in a world of trouble had England started with Woakes instead of Robinson.

Don't think either team would be happy with 2-2. Score flatters Australia a bit, whereas the 2019 2-2 flattered England.
Really they lost less series at home then us in 10 years.

I wouldn't have thought of that tbh.

Who have we lost to India and south Africa x2 for both.

King-Gutho94

Coach
The top of Duckett's head would be mistaken for a coffee table and it would all kick off when someone sets a beer down on him

The only decent thing Duckett has done his whole career was pour a vodka of Jimmy Anderson's head in Perth back in 2017.

simmo1

First Grade
Really they lost less series at home then us in 10 years.

I wouldn't have thought of that tbh.

Who have we lost to India and south Africa x2 for both.

I read it on Cricinfo and was surprised too. They have lost two series - lost to NZ a couple of years ago and Sri Lanka of all teams back in 2014.

t-ba

Post Whore
OMFG not going to the drinks
south park my posts GIF

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Pretty disappointing tbh, although its good to retain the Ashes, I wouldve loved a win. It's a strange feeling having still got the Ashes but we didnt play that well.

The target was a huge task and it wouldve been a miracle if the Aussies pulled it off, but 384 seemed too much for the Aussies. Looked promising with Warner and Khawaja but apart from them and Smith no one really got going.

Poor bowling, not being able to handle the swing bowling.

If Lyon was still there who knows what wouldve happened, I dont think England wouldve belted him in Leeds.

Wouldnt surprise me if the biggest talking point is the Bairstow run out and you'll still hear the "Aussies Cheating" "Not in the Spirit of the game". Typical Poms

undertaker

Coach
Feels weird to have the Ashes series over so early.

The previous Ashes series in England began exactly 4 years ago to this day, and finished on September 15.

undertaker

Coach
So, a smorgasbord of white-ball cricket will be dished up between now and Australia's next test match on December 14:

3 T20s + 5 ODIs vs South Africa (away)
3 ODIs vs India (away)
minimum of 9 ODIs at the World Cup (away)
5 T20s vs India (away)

In fact, until India tour Australia during the 2024/25 summer, Australia's test match schedule is very lean over the next 16 months - only playing 7 test matches:

3 tests vs Pakistan (home)
2 tests vs West Indies (home)
2 tests vs New Zealand (away)

These 2 test series are a waste of time; they should be a minimum of 3

JJ

Immortal
Combined XI:
Khawaja
Crawley
Smith
Brook
Head
Stokes
Carey
Woakes
Starc
Broad
Wood

Root unlucky.

Forget Bazball, the series turned to England's favour when they picked Woakes who was outstanding. I reckon if England had dropped Anderson straight away and brought in him and Foakes the series would have been won by them.

Australia's new ball bowling and field settings with the new ball was shambolic, Crawley played well but Duckett should never have been allowed to score like he did.

Tactically Cummins was horrid and the advice he got from his coaches was terrible. They knew how England were going to play a long way out but had no plan A let alone plan B or C.

It will be a very different Australian side who tours England in 4 years time.

Anyway, ashes retained and world test championship won, although it feels like we just scraped into the top 8.
For me Root (ave 51 1 100 2 50s) easily ahead of Smith (avg 37 1 100 1 50) and Head (average 36 3 50s)...

Bairstow's runs vs Carey's ability to catch? lol or as a batter?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Who the f**k would want to drink with those dickheads anyway.

Stokes would probably glass you.

Broad would keep asking for the glasses to be changed.

Apparently, he whinged for the entire second Aussie innings while we ere none for, and his argument was not that the ball was old, because it wasn't. He was heard to say "The ball is doing nothing, how can we take wickets if the ball isn't swinging ?"

Unbelievable that the umpires caved on that argument.

Fangs

Coach
The beers story is highly embarrassing for English cricket and speaks volumes about how they conduct themselves.

undertaker

Coach
The FBC loyalty is fine given there records but history shows the deeper into a series we get they start to wane.

Gabba 2021 against India starc, cummins and haze were cooked after 4 tests in 4 weeks including bowling all day in sydney we played all of them for the final test and look what happened India chased down 330.

Same here one of them needed a spell and we needed a fresh injection didn't matter who got rested just needed fresher legs.

Yeah, this FBC loyalty has to be thrown onto the scrapheap once for all.

I remember that Gabba test, where India ended Australia's 32 year unbeaten streak. Once Rishabh Pant got a roll on during that final day, Hazlewood/Cummins/Starc were on a hiding to nothing. India may've won that test with a 2nd or 3rd string bowling attack due to their massive injury list, but their bowlers were fresh and ready to go in that test compared to ours.

Because of T20, most of our batsmen over the past decade and half have the attention span of a child with ADHD, getting out in test matches playing stupid shots. Seems like the Argus Review - formed in the aftermath of that 2010/11 Ashes humiliation, where Australia lost 3 tests by an innings - achieved nothing. One of the concerns at the time was the large amount of T20 cricket being played....and that was back in 2011! Since then, there has been an explosion in the number of T20 leagues around the world, with most of the Aussie test players participating in.