What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5TH ASHES TEST: @ The Oval London July 26-30, 2023

King-Gutho94

Coach
I think we tried to play Ireland in a warm up Test series in 2019 but I'm pretty sure England beat us to it that year.
More like we weren't desperate enough.

CA came out and said something similar to this when Ireland and Afghanistan got test status in 2017 we support there promotion but we won't be looking at playing them in the near future.

They couldn't punt the Afghanistan test quick enough.

undertaker

Coach
I reckon England will keep Anderson going around
England will keep Anderson going around, until he's like this:

skeleton-watching-tv.jpg

undertaker

Coach
CA are a scum of an organisation.

I suppose we had the WTC final this time but even in 2019 when Ireland had test status why not play 2 tests in Ireland before the Ashes.

Seeing as we're basically there instead of 2 warm up games against counties. How much would that generate for cricket in Ireland if we played a test in Dublin and Belfast.
100% agree with you.

CA were one of the organisations that heavily supported the "Big Three" concept, which I was vehemently against when it was first suggested in 2014. Most of the stuff that has gone backwards in Australian cricket since I first started regularly watching back in the mid '90s (not just at the highest level, but also at grassroots level) occurred during James Sutherland's tenure as CEO of CA. Everything now is all about the $$$$, hence why we keep playing regular ODI and T20 series against India.

Yes, I believe the best time to play tests in Ireland is when we tour England. I'd also love to see more test cricket in Dublin and Belfast. Of the 7 tests Ireland have played, only one of them was in Ireland (their debut test vs Pakistan in 2018).

We didn't play any games against county sides this Ashes series, and only played one - against Derbyshire - during the 2019 Ashes tour. Largely due to T20 (as well as the addition of The Hundred tournament), the days of Ashes tours comprising of all those games against county teams between Ashes tests - like we did in the past - are over. George Bailey made reference to this in an interview he did back in April.

This has been one of the most frustrating aspects of international cricket, much like how international rugby league is run: so much potential, yet held back by poor decisions at the administrative level. Everything nowdays seem to revolve around the ICC and/or BCCI's approval (which includes the establishment of various T20 leagues that are run and bankrolled by Indians)

TheParraboy

Staff member
The irony of poms winning the 5th test on the back of seam and swing

I think each country fancied their chances of winning the series, but it seems poms are quite butt hurt they didnt. Reports they abandoned drinks after the series, probably Baz driven, seems odd for a nice guy (apparently no time for drinks at the ground, but at a nightclub later ?? its just not cricket - see article below)

Leeds son and Piers for you

God save the king the aussie cricket team

1690875369690.png

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
ICC did the FTA.

The cycle ended last year and starts again now.

But yes very dumb.

Why not invite Bangladesh out and give them some respect with a few tests they have beaten us the same amount of times as the kiwis since 93.

Plus its going to be the same result anyway a complete flogging.
I'm sure that cricket boards are allowed to negotiate playing test matches outside of the WTC. For example, since the inception of the WTC in 2019, there have been two New Zealand vs England test series that weren't part of the WTC (November 2019 and February 2023).

If CA doesn't want to play minnows during our summer, like they did in 2003 and 2004, tests vs Zimbabwe/Bangladesh/Ireland/Afghanistan should be held in the Top End venues (Townsville, Cairns or Darwin).

Dogmatix

Juniors
Was it the ball change or did the pitch change? Or was it both?

They changed the ball all series and it never made much difference. With the last change they bowled 11 balls with the changed ball on day 4 and the changed ball was doing nothing then. Come day 5 and conditions changed completely. Looked more a change in how the pitch played rather than the ball

Sure the ball was newer but the story of the series was that the ball was not swinging much in the first 10 to 15 overs so a newer ball was no guarantee of more swing or bounce. Openers scored the most runs for both sides (Crawley and Khawaja) as opening vs the new ball was the best time to bat

King-Gutho94

Coach
ball change if you listen to Oozie

ICC assign the umpires before the series for each match.

How on earth for what was potentially a decider of the biggest series in test cricket currently.

Did we end up with 2 dopes in Kumar Dharmasena and Joel Wilson as part of the officialdom for this test match.

Get rid of the neutral umpires and just give the best man for the job.

DRS anyway with 3 failed challenges makes any thought of bias out the window

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
ICC assign the umpires before the series for each match.

How on earth for what was potentially a decider of the biggest series in test cricket currently.

Did we end up with 2 dopes in Kumar Dharmasena and Joel Wilson as part of the officialdom for this test match.

Get rid of the neutral umpires and just give the best man for the job.

DRS anyway with 3 failed challenges makes any thought of bias out the window

although Broad continually whinged about the ball, not because it was old because it wasn't, he whinged because it wasn't swinging which happens with some balls

he can whinge all he likes but the decision was made by the umpires and they are totally at fault for the ball being changed as they just wouldn't stand up to the whinging