What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Test: Austalia vs England at SCG Jan 3-7 2011

aqua_duck

Coach
Troy Cooley needs to be taken out the back and shot, him having a role with the centre of excellence will do more harm than good for our future because he's proven himself to be a useless bowling coach. IMO change needs to start at the top, new selectors, a new coach without doubt, Mike Young to be on board full-time as fielding coach, I'm prepared to give Alfie 1 year to see if anything changes if not he goes aswell.

TheParraboy

Staff member
2nd session day 4 under way

England will look to force the pace and declare in about 60 mins time id say

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
then tomorrow at Tea

Australia 1/454 dec
Watson 0
Hughes 232*
Khawaja 210*

Aus leads by 90

Eng, all out for 28
Hussey with a 5fer opening the bowling with Khawaja, who also gets a 5fer

yappy

Bench
2nd session day 4 under way

England will look to force the pace and declare in about 60 mins time id say

and Austalia will look to have these two break the record for the longest 10th wicket partnership in First Class history...

Big Pete

Referee
Would rather we don't lose any wickets and both Watto and Hughes are on double tons.

In reality, the game will be over by tomorrow morning.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
i wouldn't say morning, we'll get to lunch tomorrow, and go agonising close to a draw before 3 batsmen completely f**k it up.

yappy

Bench
Just looking at the pitch on TV and you can see the grass has burned off and it's starting to crack. Bloody great test pitch. Just a shame we look like we're going to miss out on batting on it when it was great for batting. Big big task ahead.

chefman21

Juniors
Troy Cooley needs to be taken out the back and shot, him having a role with the centre of excellence will do more harm than good for our future because he's proven himself to be a useless bowling coach. IMO change needs to start at the top, new selectors, a new coach without doubt, Mike Young to be on board full-time as fielding coach, I'm prepared to give Alfie 1 year to see if anything changes if not he goes aswell.

I think we need to get back to a skills based coaching system, rather than a computer based coaching system. Use the computers as support. Move back to the style of coaching that has worked for 400 years.

I don't think Cooley is useless. He was great for the Poms 5 years ago, and we are seeing the results of his coaching even more so now. His legacy has resulted in England being close to the best Test side in the world, with the number one pace attack in the world. I don't think it's his fault that the quality of most of our bowlers picked are barely Test standard. He can only teach them so much. It's up to them to execute. Which they haven't all series. Him being at the Centre of Excellence can only be of benefit to Australian cricket. Given his past success with what was a young bowling attack (England), the ability he has now to guide our young quicks into players of the quality of Anderson, Tremlett, Bresnan and co is a real strength for us.

I agree about Young. This team desperately needs a set of traditional skills based coaches. Give him a full time position and give him support staff. Same with Cooley, Langer and co. Forget the cost. The Australian Cricket side is the single most important sporting team in the country. When the Australian Cricket side is strong Australian sport - and Australia - is strong. It's the heartbeat of this country. In this case cost doesn't matter. The day Australian cricket dies is the day Australia as we know it dies. Do it once, do it properly and do it well.

I'd like to see Langer stick around for another two years. I think the techniques of a fair few of our players has really improved. I just think we are in sh*thouse form with a run of bad luck and no confidence. Whether his role is still with the national side or the Centre of Excellence I don't know. But I still think he has a role to play.

yappy

Bench
I think a full time fielding coach would be helpful, but I don't know Young is the guy. As a baseball coach I'm sure he is great with long throws etc, but I don't know he's the guy to develop our catching, especially slips catching, and simple stuff like ground fielding and anticipation. Junior probably wouldn't be interested but surely a guy who was a real good fielder at the highest level would be keen to do the job.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I think a full time fielding coach would be helpful, but I don't know Young is the guy. As a baseball coach I'm sure he is great with long throws etc, but I don't know he's the guy to develop our catching, especially slips catching, and simple stuff like ground fielding and anticipation. Junior probably wouldn't be interested but surely a guy who was a real good fielder at the highest level would be keen to do the job.

he's had the job for at least 10 years that I know of

its only the last year or so that our catching has been sh*t