What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Test: Austalia vs England at SCG Jan 3-7 2011

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
My ideal position for Watson is at 4, and that is purely to make him bowl a bit more.
Geez you finally get it. I could handle 4 would prefer lower and have the experienced guy bat with the tail, but the main point, openers should not be bowling 20 overs per innings. 700 run series will not happen to a guy who has open and bowl every match.

I don't expect 700 from Watson, a 50 ave with the bat with say 400 runs, a few wickets, good fielder and we have an excellent player for you side.

It was refreshing to see but hard to say whether it was good captaincy since it didn't work.

That's not to say he was bad either, just passable. Obviously there's more to being a captain and let's be fair to Clarke for it, he's really just caretaking the side - let's see how he goes when he isn't just subbing in for Punter before we truly judge him.

IMO it showed Clarke was on the ball and was thinking ahead he saw his "X factor" bowler made some good runs and his confidence was high so gave him the new ball that's the kind of thinking that won Tubby so many plaudits and he saw it wasn't working so took him off. The problem is neither Hilfenhaus, Johnson or Siddle are good enough for the new ball but you need 2 of them to bowl with it.

Clarke won't be the captain like AB or Steve Waugh who'll bring the fight but he has the potential to be the Mark Taylor and out think the opponent with field placings, strategy and off the cuff decisions. It was good to see and a positive for the future imo.

Also a good call made by Mr Angry this is still Ponting's team I don't think Clarke can be properly judged until he has the team entirely in his control as a fill in captain (albeit the next one) he wouldn't have had the dressing room the way he would/will in the next few years especially with Ponting at the game.

beads6

First Grade
That is true...but he does have some say in terms of selections...lol at Beer, Hilfenhaus and Smith being in a test XI!

Clarke would have had zero say in selections for this match IMO. I don't think the Captain should ever get to have a role in the selection of a side.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I would not go below 4. Plus and I do mean this...ONLY if there are two other openers (not Hughes at the moment) that are acceptable at test level. If we can find two decent openers, I am more than happy to put Watson at 3 or 4. Khawaja is your best 3, Watson would suit 4 which would allow Clarke to go back to 5.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Watson averages 18 at no6..he averages a tick under 50 opening
Whilst correct not the full story, that is in tests , in first class it is reversed. The guy scored multiple ducks for QLD opening.

Watson averaged 18 as a younger man, he now averages 50 as an older guy.

Anyways, my main point is you cannot expect a guy to open and bowl as an all rounder. Must be lower in the order.

lockyno1

Post Whore
That is fine, but not at 6. He would be a horrible 6. He needs to quicks on when he comes in. You don't want Watson coming in with the spinners on. He needs to have the quicks on to get his feet moving. No3 or 4 is his position.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Considering they cheated in 2005 to get it to reverse ...

Can the moderator who deleted my post concerning Haddins smashing the wicket with his gloves then claiming a wicket 'bowled', posted in comparative defence of Bell not walking, as an allegation of cheating, please explain to me why this post is okay? PM will suffice.

Is it just posts of Australian's allegeldy cheating that will be deleted?

Gaba

First Grade
Averages just a tick under 50 opening. He is doing fine, and until you can find TWO alternatives he will continue to open. My ideal position for Watson is at 4, and that is purely to make him bowl a bit more.
5 would be another option , watson isnt a player what is going to last long (more then 2 sessions)in batting he doesnt have the temperament.

Last edited:

beads6

First Grade
Can the moderator who deleted my post concerning Haddins smashing the wicket with his gloves then claiming a wicket 'bowled', posted in comparative defence of Bell not walking, as an allegation of cheating, please explain to me why this post is okay? PM will suffice.

Is it just posts of Australian's allegeldy cheating that will be deleted?

It isn't I had a post deleted regarding England cheating.

pantherz9103

First Grade
What a day, Liverpool lose, Australia concede record score to England and then are set for an innings defeat AGAIN and I was there to watch it. Oh well, atleast its nearly over and the one dayers might be better.

Gaba

First Grade
Just put him at 6, with out top order he will be in early a fair bit...
thinking about it you are right 5 is a bit high so is 6

7/8 might be the choice because he isnt a batsman what will stick around when the other batsman need thier partner too hang around for a while.

watson will be able to score his 50's-90's quicker without much criticism he would normally get

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
They've tried to start with Johnson in the past - it didn't work and it didn't work again.

Reminds me of the slow kid who doesn't learn his lesson about fire.

Patorick

Staff member
Blind Freddie can see Hughes is struggling but as i said to Boggerwood Storm with Kat injured who else could you pick to open the batting???

Jaques is in worse form, Rogers injured. Klinger also struggling. Cosgrove is still 180kgs, Marsh scoring all his runs at 4. Maddison still far to young, the cupboard is well and truly bare. The only option i can see is Hussey up to open in a stop gap solution.
Your forgetting Ed Cowan.