What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A big reason we get crap crowds compared to AFL

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
In-goal said:
I can't believe how ingnorant some of you fools are, you think you know it all. However I love RL all I have been saying is that most of you fools are so worried about finding excuses, that you will never find the answers.

Most of you post without any real evidence to what you complain about, I have been dubbed a AFL troll however I have been posting here pro RL since 03 and since 01 on RLeague before that.

I know far more than alot of you high school sh*theads will most likley ever know, simply because you raised as biggots in the worst city in Australia.

Oh Telstra to far, Oh Telstra to far from the Action, Tri-Nations final who cares this is generaly your attitudes to the game so why don't you take your mates to the games and shut the F up
In-goal said:
I can't believe how ingnorant some of you fools are,
In-goal said:
I can't believe how ingnorant
In-goal said:
ingnorant

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Keep posting champ, you're doing a great job of making an arse of yourself.

Copa

Bench
Slackboy72 said:
I would say in Canberra that union is the biggest game followed by league and then AFL not too far behind. At the local level the ACTAFL is definitely bigger and better supported than the local league comp. The reason why the roos did so poorly in Canberra is because they were sh*t and noone wanted to see them play. Add to that the fact that Manuka oval is tiny in terms of capacity and you won't get any large crowds there any time soon.
don't let brumbies and Raiders crowds deceive you... rugby league is extremely popular in the ACT...

Problem is that rugby league is far more popular than the Raiders in Canberra.

green eyed mike

Juniors
There are a lot of league fans in Canberra and there are also a lot of sports fans. In the late 80's and early 90's when the Raiders were on fire they would regularly get 20K+. Since then the Brumbies have been doing well and as a result people have gone to watch. If the Raiders were near the top of the ladder then you can guarantee they would pull big crowds.. The reality is that there are still 8-10K people who are prepared to freeze their balls off and watch their team lose!

fanatique

Juniors
joshreading said:
I find the blame game a little done - here is a fact. RL Crowds have NEVER EVER been that great, they here about game of the round crowds forty years ago being 65000 and presume that was the average but we hae the highest average EVER NOW!!!

AFL does have a higher core fan base then RL that is a FACT. As a victorian, there are probably more ACTIVE AFL fans there than ACTIVE RL fans in NSW and Qld combined. Sure RL has about the same couch, relaxed, nominal style supporters that go to or watch bigger RL events (like people going to church on easter and Christmas)

RL will continue to grow - yes things need to be done to encourage growth in crowds (I think the conference idea would help actually) and the nature of the game effects the crowds with behind the posts not the most appealing to most unlike better vantage points from most angles in Aussie Rules.

Rugby League needs to stop comparing itself to AFL and simply aim for an average of twenty thousand and that puts it in good company to the WORLD in sport.

I totally agree with every word you write. The unending comparison annoys me. AFL is Australia's biggest and best supported sporting product. NRL is next. Every comparable stat points to this being true.

We need to stop worrying about AFL which is immensely well run aggressive and supported and we need to get out house in order and copy what others do well.

20,000 average by 2015 is well withing reach.

In-goal

Bench
Originally Posted by joshreading
I find the blame game a little done - here is a fact. RL Crowds have NEVER EVER been that great, they here about game of the round crowds forty years ago being 65000 and presume that was the average but we hae the highest average EVER NOW!!!

AFL does have a higher core fan base then RL that is a FACT. As a victorian, there are probably more ACTIVE AFL fans there than ACTIVE RL fans in NSW and Qld combined. Sure RL has about the same couch, relaxed, nominal style supporters that go to or watch bigger RL events (like people going to church on easter and Christmas)

RL will continue to grow - yes things need to be done to encourage growth in crowds (I think the conference idea would help actually) and the nature of the game effects the crowds with behind the posts not the most appealing to most unlike better vantage points from most angles in Aussie Rules.

Rugby League needs to stop comparing itself to AFL and simply aim for an average of twenty thousand and that puts it in good company to the WORLD in sport.

I totally agree with every word you write. The unending comparison annoys me. AFL is Australia's biggest and best supported sporting product. NRL is next. Every comparable stat points to this being true.

We need to stop worrying about AFL which is immensely well run aggressive and supported and we need to get out house in order and copy what others do well.

20,000 average by 2015 is well withing reach.

Makes sense to me, 2 of the best posts I have read on this topic.

Kid Dynamite

Juniors
In-goal said:
Makes sense to me, 2 of the best posts I have read on this topic.
Try posting that though in the place inhibited by bitter, deluded twats, known only as the Fight Club. They will find a way to argue that with some of the most contrived and flat out bullsh*t arguments you will here. Just reply " come over here with the rest of society. We can see that AFL is bigger than league in Australia because we have no choice. We live in a world called reality where we must accept things such as facts." It will make no difference though, they say you have your head in the toilet and resort to lame insults. It's insecurity central and they spend all day on their defending league and attacking other codes. I think the place needs a resident shrink.

Kid Dynamite said:
Try posting that though in the place inhibited by bitter, deluded twats, known only as the Fight Club. They will find a way to argue that with some of the most contrived and flat out bullsh*t arguments you will here. Just reply " come over here with the rest of society. We can see that AFL is bigger than league in Australia because we have no choice. We live in a world called reality where we must accept things such as facts." It will make no difference though, they say you have your head in the toilet and resort to lame insults. It's insecurity central and they spend all day on their defending league and attacking other codes. I think the place needs a resident shrink.

awwwwwwwww diddums..

Holla

Juniors
In my opinion the reason RL crowds are dwindling is the fact that every round now has approx 6 night games.
In winter this is ridiculous if your trying to promote attendance at games. It doesn't matter what the actual temperature is it's always colder when you can't sit on the hill in sunshine.
The Monday night game should be scrapped and NEVER visited again. The family cannot attend when there is school the next day.
When negotiating TV rights, I would like to know who in their right mind would sign a contract that limits the coverage of one game a round to only those with pay tv.
The idea is to get the game in front of as many as possible.
Cold nights & limited TV coverage ARE NOT the way to do it.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
In-goal said:
I can't believe how ingnorant some of you fools are, you think you know it all. However I love RL all I have been saying is that most of you fools are so worried about finding excuses, that you will never find the answers.

Most of you post without any real evidence to what you complain about, I have been dubbed a AFL troll however I have been posting here pro RL since 03 and since 01 on RLeague before that.

I know far more than alot of you high school sh*theads will most likley ever know, simply because you raised as biggots in the worst city in Australia.

Oh Telstra to far, Oh Telstra to far from the Action, Tri-Nations final who cares this is generaly your attitudes to the game so why don't you take your mates to the games and shut the F up

Very f**king nice, you know, some of us grew up not far from Canberra, actually, very bloody close to it, and playing and supporting RL since I can remember, the Raiders get most of their support not from Canberra, but the towns all around it, it doesn't help when they play most games at night, the country people with their families find it hard to drive for hours and hours to see a game, just so they get home around bloody midnight.

When the Raiders played on Sundays most of the times years ago, they would get bus loads of people from Goulburn, now they play most games on a Saturday night, people find it too hard to get to games with their kids, pay for food, pay for petrol, go without beer and have to drive 2 or more hours home.

Canberra is not a Union city, it's a RL city, you may say, but look at the Averages, so what, the Raiders are sh*t and the Brumbies near the top most the time, the crowds are not that much different, plus the Raiders play twice as many games.

Some people have no idea about RL in this area of Australia, the team is not a team for the National capital, it's a team for the country people, always has been ever since Queenbyan was given the go ahead.

And who the hell here talking to you is a High school sh*thead?

In-goal

Bench
Very f**king nice, you know, some of us grew up not far from Canberra, actually, very bloody close to it, and playing and supporting RL since I can remember, the Raiders get most of their support not from Canberra, but the towns all around it, it doesn't help when they play most games at night, the country people with their families find it hard to drive for hours and hours to see a game, just so they get home around bloody midnight.

When the Raiders played on Sundays most of the times years ago, they would get bus loads of people from Goulburn, now they play most games on a Saturday night, people find it too hard to get to games with their kids, pay for food, pay for petrol, go without beer and have to drive 2 or more hours home.

Canberra is not a Union city, it's a RL city, you may say, but look at the Averages, so what, the Raiders are sh*t and the Brumbies near the top most the time, the crowds are not that much different, plus the Raiders play twice as many games.

Some people have no idea about RL in this area of Australia, the team is not a team for the National capital, it's a team for the country people, always has been ever since Queenbyan was given the go ahead.

And who the hell here talking to you is a High school sh*thead?

I wasn't having a go at Canberra thank you very much, just the large mess north east of there.