What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Draft?

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Everytime I hear the word 'draft' in conjunction with Rugby League I can't help but think "Terry Hill"

Because of what happened with him in 1991, there will never be a successful draft in the comp again.

we don't need it. There are only a small minority of teams that don't have adequate numbers of juniors coming through to replenish their first grade ranks.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Front-Rower said:
A draft will never be seen in Rugby League as its been proven illegal in a court of law. And we don't need to be back in the court rooms cause player A doesn't want to go to club Z.

In my opinion drafts don't work. The current system we have isn't perfect but it is much more fairer on the player as he can choose the best offer for him and play for the club they want to play for, not the one they are told to play for.

Why does it work in the military?

The Observer

Staff member
Generally speaking, an all encompassing, AFL-style draft wouldn't help the game for the reason mentioned before.

However, a limited external draft as proposed in 2004 would be good for the game:
* Limited to under 18s
* selection of only a few players
* each NRL clubs is given a country area to focus their development on - HOWEVER NSW clubs don't get access to QLD regions (this was the reason Brisbane vetoed the first). Only 3 QLD clubs and Melbourne get access to QLD.

robbie123

Juniors
I reckon a points system similar to the one used in jim beam cup would be most effective...

i think players should be rated from 1 thru to 10 and a team is only allowed to field a certain amount of points for the season...
all debutants are given 1 point and your rating does not change until you change clubs or go to june 30(assumin they would bring it back in) therefore teams are encouraged to develop players rather then just look for players to poach...

if a team bought a 3 point player or fielded one of their juniors with 1 point, and develop them into a 10 point player then it would still only count for 1 or 3 points on their roster...therefore being more valuable to that club then any other club.

abolishing the salary cap would mean that it would be more attracitive for players to play for the nrl instead of ESL and union.

at june 30....a board of members will rate every player that is off contract for the next season according to how they play...this board could consist of a full unbiased bench or a member from each team and one from the nrl...

this would keep the comp even but also the best team on the paddock will not be the one with the most money but the team who develops their juniors better and therefore encourages growth of the game...

The ratings could be restricted as in a test player must be between 6-10 origin between 4-8 and so on...

Players from other comps (ESL and Union) could be judged on their performance in that comp...

imo this would be much better then a draft and the salary cap...as it encourages players to stay put rather then go looking for other clubs and doesnt restrict teams on how much they can pay players

Misty Bee

First Grade
Front-Rower said:
You really want to compare a Rugby League draft with the Military?

Yes, because both require the person to live and work in a place designated by their overseers, according to the needs of the organisation.

And I'm talking peacetime, too.

stuke

Bench
HAVE two sons playing schoolboy footy - one in the A's and the other in the C's. The older one was recently injured and forced on to the sideline for several weeks. He insisted on turning up to the two games he missed, so he could be around his teammates, run the water and share in the joys of team sport.
He didn't miss a training session, even though he couldn't do anything except watch. He did all of this off his own bat. He has learned enough about footy to know that team is everything - that loyalty to your mates and your coach is really the only lesson to be learned from schoolboy sport.
My younger son is in the C's. Last week, his team recorded its second consecutive win for the first time since he started playing footy when he was seven.
The boys are starting to talk to each other - on and off the field. They don't want to be put up to the B's, nor do they want to be dropped to the D's. They are starting to get an understanding of what it feels like to belong.
Professional sport is, of course, a different egg. It is essentially about winning. But the fundamentals remain the same - teamwork, loyalty, mateship. When you have these, coaches say, you have the three essential elements that create a winning culture.
The AFL has a draft system which ensures that an even distribution of player talent is divided among the clubs. Once you are drafted to a team, you sign a contract and you stay put.
If you are a member of an AFL club, you can't walk out in the middle of a year, or halfway through a week, just because the going is not good.
If you are a coach, you can't just tell a ruckman to get out of the club because his form is down, or because you really hoped you would be able to replace him with a mid-fielder. You stick with the player list you are given and get on with it.
The result is that the AFL has created a tradition that embodies all that is good about football. Your guernsey is treasured. You become a member of a club culture and you fit in with your teammates, come hell or high water.
That is why the National Rugby League has got it all terribly wrong. This week, something rotten happened to league that has left a very nasty taste in many fans' mouths.
No fewer than eight players jumped ship from their footy club or announced they would do so at the end of the year. More than 50 players are predicted to do the same in the next four weeks.
One young bloke called Jamie Soward played for the Roosters last weekend and will don a Dragons jersey this weekend. One of my radio colleagues suggested he should have jumped in a cab at halftime of last week's game and played the second half for the Dragons.
Newcastle's Clint Newton, son of golfer Jack Newton, was born and bred in Knights territory. He is a good, solid player who has always been a good club man. His team was flogged by nearly 70 points last weekend, so after a row with new coach Brian Smith on Monday he had no choice but to pack his bags.
Newton has found a home with premiership favourites Melbourne, which must tell the dills at Newcastle something about their genius coach.
We are fed absolute poppycock from coaches and administrators that this is what we must expect from professional sport and these are the facts of life. Elite footballers should be able to keep their minds on the job, no matter what team they are playing with.
If I hear the words "commercial reality'' again, I will scream. The notion that you could start the season with one club and quite happily switch mid-year sends a very bad message to the kids playing in the A's and the C's every weekend.
It says loyalty doesn't exist in league any more. Any coach can plug the holes left by injury or an out-of-form player by looking at the player list of a team up the road. Any player can change jerseys mid-season as long as the dollars are right.
One call to the ever-eager, greedy player manager and the deal is done. The whole sorry thing puts league fans at the bottom of the pile. Why bother teaching the rules and traditions of team sport to your kids when professional sport makes a mockery of them?
It is time for a draft in rugby league. Any AFL club will tell you it has largely eliminated all of this nonsense from the equation. You are picked and you stick - just like when you were a school kid.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21831836-5006066,00.html

she conveniently forgets to mention that this has been tried before - and failed - as it has been proven in court to be a restraint of trade. it only operates in AFL due to the players allowing it. if they were to challenge it they too would be allowed to move much more freely.

it is the players who could make it happen, but i can't see the players agreeing to it any time soon, can you?

maybe she should ask her new newspaper colleague, Terry Hill, his opinions on it? ;-)

Ridders

Coach
i don't see anything wrong with the soward incident. He wasn't in the roosters first grade plans, which is exactly where he deserves to be. Up come the dragons, who are in need of a half-back, and accordingly the roosters give a release to sign with the dragons. Its a situation were everyone's happy so i don't have a prob with it. Better that than Soward having to waste a year in PL only to move to the dragons next year.

also whats so great about the draft. it has the potential to make you play at a club that you have no desire for, surely that can't be good for the game

Walt Flanigan

Referee
lol shut your mouth Wilson.

One of my radio colleagues suggested he should have jumped in a cab at halftime of last week's game and played the second half for the Dragons.

Would this cab happen to travel back in time? Considering the Dragons match was on Friday and the Roosters match on Saturday. Not a cheap cab from Sydney to Canberra either.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I wonder if she's being deliberately stupid :-k

Iafeta

Referee
The draft won't work - everyone conveniently forgets the outpost teams. My own club for instance; some Australian kids don't want to go to Auckland, similarly some Aucklanders want their first opportunity to be with the Warriors. What's so fricken hard to understand about that? It is illogical.

The situation with Soward is simple; the Roosters made a gaffer, as they did with Josh Lewis. Two good halves who should have been in first grade were neglected and the market dictated they found first grade opportunities elsewhere. Quite simple really. The draft won't preclude neglected players finding their true long term worth elsewhere.

Tom Shines

First Grade
Was does Clint Newton have to do with it you stupid f**king bitch? He chose to terminate his contract and seek football elsewhere.
Draft or no draft, players could still do this. What's he supposed to do? Sit on his arse and refuse to turn up for training for a year? I can't wait until someone can (eventually) kncok her smarmy column of the page. But I wish she'd give herself a permanent uppercut.

Latest posts