What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A-League 10/11 :: Round 15 & 16

jc155776

Coach
Gee the Fury are playing rubbish. The lack of depth due to not being allowed to spend the cap and the players uncertain future has taken its toll.

We blew so many chances as well.

Perth are terribly undisciplined. All Perths yellows were justified, the second red was just a stupid decision by Griffiths to kick the ball away when its a yellow almost every time.

They need to come up with something like a third card thats worth half a yellow for little things like that and taking off shirts after goals etc. How a little kick away cops the same penalty as cynical deliberate or dangerous foul is crazy.

roboshark

Coach
You were lucky that Perth weren't awarded those penalties...at least 1 should have been given to god

Nevan_

First Grade
They need to come up with something like a third card thats worth half a yellow for little things like that and taking off shirts after goals etc. How a little kick away cops the same penalty as cynical deliberate or dangerous foul is crazy.

:lol::lol:

fish eel

Immortal
Gee the Fury are playing rubbish. The lack of depth due to not being allowed to spend the cap and the players uncertain future has taken its toll.

We blew so many chances as well.

Perth are terribly undisciplined. All Perths yellows were justified, the second red was just a stupid decision by Griffiths to kick the ball away when its a yellow almost every time.

They need to come up with something like a third card thats worth half a yellow for little things like that and taking off shirts after goals etc. How a little kick away cops the same penalty as cynical deliberate or dangerous foul is crazy

What he did is a yellow card. No arguments. When you already have one, to go and kick a ball away is just f**king stupid, shows just how ill disciplined Perth are. He deserved a yellow just for being so bloody dumb.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
why? It's just another 90 minutes.

Those 'eurosnobs' you talk about watch their teams play a couple of times a week reguarly without it damaging their season.

In fact, I would think Newcastle will be buoyed by the game, a win, a good home crowd. IMO, it will only be good for them.
This. The only problem with our next home game is that it's a Wednesday night.

Mid-week games, in terms of fan support, don't work IMO. Sure, they're great to watch on tv, it just doesn't translate to bums on seats. You need to look no further than the 12k that saw us beat the Phoenix and then three days later (against our derby rivals no less) and the crowd goes to a tick over 7.5k.

Last edited:

beave

Coach
i was ready to jump the fence and slap some Fury players yesterday, f#$king pathetic.

Too many eurosnobs I would imagine. People who sit at home watching midnight/2am EPL and heard the word Beckham.

You are worse than the self proclaimed greatest sports fans in the world Victorians you tripped over the football bandwagon 5 minutes ago and call other fans Eurosnobs :?

Tom Shines

First Grade
Hang on a second Tim Tam, are you suggesting that those that went to Newcastle v Team Beckham were Eurosnobs?

Because if anything, it would be the Johnny-Come-Latelys and the Know-Nowts who fawn over Beckham, usually because "he played for them Manchester Red Devils" and occasionally could bend a free kick around a wall.

I had zero interest in watch that overpaid, overrated primadonna go around -- and not just because of the obvious Manchester United connection. Most genuine football fans would feel similarly.

roboshark

Coach
Hang on a second Tim Tam, are you suggesting that those that went to Newcastle v Team Beckham were Eurosnobs?

Because if anything, it would be the Johnny-Come-Latelys and the Know-Nowts who fawn over Beckham, usually because "he played for them Manchester Red Devils" and occasionally could bend a free kick around a wall.

I had zero interest in watch that overpaid, overrated primadonna go around -- and not just because of the obvious Manchester United connection. Most genuine football fans would feel similarly.

Well I am a genuine football fan and I was interested in seeing him go around

I just thought the game and atmosphere sucked

And I'm there every week so it pains me to say that

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Completely agree about Beckham... I actually feel sorry for the rest of the Galaxy side - playing second fiddle to a player well past his prime.

weasel

First Grade

Roboshark, much respect for you, dude. And all the other guys on here that go to A-League games regularly.

fish eel

Immortal
Completely agree about Beckham... I actually feel sorry for the rest of the Galaxy side - playing second fiddle to a player well past his prime.

Do you?

It's because of Beckham they get to play around the world.

I wouldnt mind playing second fiddle to someone if it meant my home games were sold out and I got free junkets to Australia.

Beckham might be past his prime as a footballer, but he is still a cut above MLS. If anything, they're playing second fiddle to a better player. He is also a consumate professional, despite the circus that follows him around.

roboshark

Coach
Roboshark, much respect for you, dude. And all the other guys on here that go to A-League games regularly.

Yeah thx mate. I have played all of my life, still play 0/35s (poorly mind you). I have been attending games in newcastle back to when KB united played in what was originally called the Phillips soccer league in 1978 In fact still have a number of KB programs

Then followed newcastle rosebuds, newcastle breakers, newcastle united, and now jets. Also watch EPL as much as possible

To me getting the chance to see Beckham play is a once in a lifetime opp. He also seems like a real nice guy as well...my opinion of him has risen to that of not just a top footballer

Jobdog

Live Update Team

I thought it was a marked improvement on what is around normal Jets games tbph. It just wasn't kept up over the whole match.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Do you?

It's because of Beckham they get to play around the world.

I wouldnt mind playing second fiddle to someone if it meant my home games were sold out and I got free junkets to Australia.

Beckham might be past his prime as a footballer, but he is still a cut above MLS. If anything, they're playing second fiddle to a better player. He is also a consumate professional, despite the circus that follows him around.

They might personally benefit, sure - but what recognition do they get? To go home and say "I played in a team with Beckham"?

Sorry, I just find it hard to buy the hype. Maybe it is jealousy that Newcastle got to play them and not us, who knows. At this time of the year I think the A-League should be the focus and while this might help the Jets' crowds for a week or two I don't think it will last (they won the championship less than three years ago, that didn't do much).

In general FFA marketing is poor when it comes to our domestic comp and that should be a priority.

fish eel

Immortal
They might personally benefit, sure - but what recognition do they get? To go home and say "I played in a team with Beckham"?

where did I say they get 'recognition'.

I said they get a free junket to Australia.

All their home games are sold out because of Beckham. I dont think they mind playing second fiddle to a bloke who is 1. a cut above most of them and 2. a bloke who fills their stadium.

Sorry, I just find it hard to buy the hype. Maybe it is jealousy that Newcastle got to play them and not us, who knows.

Sounds like it.

It was great promotion, and might have even turned a bit of coin, if not for the Jets for the city.

And you even enjoyed the match ;-)

At this time of the year I think the A-League should be the focus and while this might help the Jets' crowds for a week or two I don't think it will last (they won the championship less than three years ago, that didn't do much).

I think the Jets fall away with the crowds had as much to do with the turnover of players and issues around Con, TBH.

And on field, to think that one 90 minute promotional match would damage their season is just ridiculous.

In general FFA marketing is poor when it comes to our domestic comp and that should be a priority.

Agreed. The focus has been the world cup bid though.