What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A player you thought was gun who was bum???

Mr Saab

Referee
so did owen craigie, jacin sinclair, jason bell, and craig field but it didnt happen because of many reasons.
McLinden had no position in the league. He was a utility player and thats all...and he wouldnt make australia or NSW as a utility player as the game had plenty of those who could do a much better job.
He was a 1st grader and thats it.

Edwahu

Bench
Mclinden would easily have played for Australia if he consistently held his form from his rookie season where he played 5/8th. You blokes with short memories should remember he won Raiders player of the year ahead of 5 or 6 aus reps that season FFS.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Red and Blue Knight said:
Nice backflip.

You're still a moron though.

what f**king backflip you clown?
i said in the original post that he had the skills and potential to have played for australia in some compacity... you assumed i ment he could have started 5/8th, you assumed wrong... the only moron here has been you Jamie... you know what they say about assumptions ;-)

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Ash Graham
Daniel Irvine- good player, just couldnt pass from dummy half
Nathan McMillan- dont know what happened to him, he wasnt a gun he played well in PL got a shot in First Grade, but disappeared after that.

Mr Saab

Referee
whoopppeee dooo..
Owen Craigie should have played for oz if he didnt discover KFC
Craig Field could have played for australia if he had the mental attitude

So he had one good yr and was player of the yr at the raiders. hoooray.
McLinden had talent, but so have about 100 other players who didnt play for australia.

The Preacher

First Grade
Edwahu said:
Mclinden would easily have played for Australia if he consistently held his form from his rookie season where he played 5/8th. You blokes with short memories should remember he won Raiders player of the year ahead of 5 or 6 aus reps that season FFS.

Well, Whoop-de-do !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll:

Raider_69

Post Whore
Mr Saab said:
whoopppeee dooo..
Owen Craigie should have played for oz if he didnt discover KFC
Craig Field could have played for australia if he had the mental attitude

So he had one good yr and was player of the yr at the raiders. hoooray.
McLinden had talent, but so have about 100 other players who didnt play for australia.

so you agree with me?
wheres the issue.

Mr Saab

Referee
talent is one thing Raider69....80% of players have that....putting it on the park is another.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Does anybody remember Ewan McGrady for the Bulldogs in the early nineties? Talk about a one hit wonder. Wes Patten and Leo Dyvenor (spelling?) were another two who couldn't perform on a weekly basis but had freakish talent when they were on form.

As far as current players for my team I'd say Epalahame Lauaki hasn't quite lived up to the billing he first recieved when bursting onto the scene in 2004 I think it was. I'm hoping he's going to get a chance to turn that around this year so he's not a lost cause just yet.

Green Machine

First Grade
Paullyboy said:
Olejinik was at Manly wasnt he? I remember he had MASSIVE wraps on him in about 98?

Id forgotten all about him till now.
Started out at Penrith. Peter Mulholland took to the Western Reds and then to PSG. Bob Fulton gave him a go at Manly, but it all came to nothing

The Preacher

First Grade
KeepingTheFaith said:
Does anybody remember Ewan McGrady for the Bulldogs in the early nineties? Talk about a one hit wonder. Wes Patten and Leo Dyvenor (spelling?) were another two who couldn't perform on a weekly basis but had freakish talent when they were on form.

As far as current players for my team I'd say Epalahame Lauaki hasn't quite lived up to the billing he first recieved when bursting onto the scene in 2004 I think it was. I'm hoping he's going to get a chance to turn that around this year so he's not a lost cause just yet.

There where a few of the Dynevor family that could play. They're from the Murgon area in SW Qld, South Burnett district. Some good footballers that enjoyed the social aspect too much to go much further than Wide Bay reps.

The Colonel

Immortal
Green Machine said:
Started out at Penrith. Peter Mulholland took to the Western Reds and then to PSG. Bob Fulton gave him a go at Manly, but it all came to nothing

Was at the Bunnies for a little while too. Plenty of talent.......

Smartman

Juniors
Willie Peters - The next Sterlo

Tyran Smith - The assumed next great backrower, also from souths.

Lee Hookey - Best talent in 20 years according to tugger

Andrew Mcfadden - hahaha

Green Machine

First Grade
In the early 70’s, there was bloke from Balmain called Geoff Starling who was about 18 when he cracked into the Australian team. He got sick and disappeared as quickly as he arrived.
Paul Hauff from the Broncos debuted for Australia in 1990. By mid 1992, he was gone from the Broncos first grade team

m0j0

Bench
simon says said:
I know there have only been snippets of him.....in first grade,and the PL GF but he looked very small and didnt do much,missed a few crucial tackles too......this should get the Rooster fans clucking.
Actually, I mostly agree with what you say. I've seen him play some inspiring matches in JF, but I've never really seen him shine since making the step up. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't say he was crap, he just hasn't performed to the high standards that have been (unfairly) expected. Then again, he's only young - remember it was only 17 months ago he was playing in the Jersey Flegg Grand Final. My fear is that he'll get snapped up by another club before he gets a fair go here and that's when he'll start to show his potential.

nqboy

First Grade
simon says said:
I'll get the ball rolling......Ive got two Balmain jnrs that I watched keenly that I thought were going to be dead set stars.The first was Jacin Sinclair,he was carving it up in the lowers,and just never made it in the top grade.I reckon it was more attitude than ability.....seemed a bit of a lair and I reckon this may have hindered his evoltion into a top flight first grader(from a reserve).
Sinclair was special. I remember him at 5/8 for a no-name Tigers outfit dominating Wally Lewis and carving Brisbane at Lang Park in the late 80s (I think). The Tigers still lost (again, I think).

My two would be Todd Riley, a country kid who starred for Easts at fullback for half a season at fullback in the early 80s, was in line for Rookie-of-the-Year and disappeared without trace, rhyme or reason, and Mark Ross, a flashy winger for Souths in the mid-80s who could do anything but never achieved his potential.

Les Kiss is another one, injury prevented him from becoming one of the great wingers. And I always liked David Woods, the Parra centre, the only Eels junior of the day who coud have stood beside that great backline of th early 80s.

Latest posts