What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aaron Woods

Well surely we can get a better prop than this for far less $$$. Samy is there anyone is ISP you would promote at this given time? P.s ouryears Foxsports rates Woods at the 4th best prop in the game??

If you want a prop that’s going to bend the line and hit the ground for a quick play the ball, a la James Graham, he’s your man.
The fly in the ointment is half the time Woods believes his own hype and thinks he’s Artie Beetson and drops the ball......a lot.

Yep agree. Suggest we start looking under our nose.

Would prefer we give Lawrie substantial minutes for the rest of the season to give him the chance to stake his claim for a place in the 17.

The kid plays with determination, is running hard and marking strong metres in ISP. If he gets half a season of meaningful game time, he may prove to the coaching staff that he has the goods.

Lawrie will add more muscle weight over the off season. Once he bulks up a bit more he won't be dominated by any opposition forward pack.

Where necessary, our props could be:

Vaughan
Frizell
Lawrie
Graham or Latimore

This would create a back row vacancy which could be filled by Host/Leilua or Sele.
I think Lawrie looks the goods, which means we will proberbly let him go without trying him.
I would still approach Korbin Sims, as a bench replacement for Ah Mau I think he would be ideal.

ouryears

Bench
Well surely we can get a better prop than this for far less $$$. Samy is there anyone is ISP you would promote at this given time? P.s ouryears Foxsports rates Woods at the 4th best prop in the game??
I would like to know their exact rating system / process.

A. Most post contact metres?
B. Most hit ups?
C. Most offloads to players in a better position than him?
D. Number of tackles?
E. No Missed tackles?
F. Line breaks?
G. Try assists?

What else is important, Less or more than the above points?

4th rated, in their little fox heads maybe.

250,000 fans can't be wrong.

Drag Queen

Bench
Could never understand how he was always picked in the NSW and Australian teams. The selectors must have seen something in him that is lost on most fans. I reckon I saw him play one decent game in the past few years. Wouldn't want him at the Dragons, especially as we now have a pack with some toughness and mongrel. Obviously Ah Mau needs to be replaced but for me, Woods wouldn't be the right answer. I wonder what happened to the hype around us looking at Alex Walmsely? Just media talk perhaps?
Not sure
If you want a prop that’s going to bend the line and hit the ground for a quick play the ball, a la James Graham, he’s your man.
The fly in the ointment is half the time Woods believes his own hype and thinks he’s Artie Beetson and drops the ball......a lot.
Relieved to know it's not only me that sees deficiencies in his game. I'm the first to admit I'm not an expert at league. Love watching it but the scrums are ridiculous compared to Union. League is a lot more structured though, which I have a problem with tbh. Not sure if this a good or bad thing but I'm getting a bit sick of the on/off ref situation. Hopefully tonight I will watch a free flowing game with the Blues for the win. It's just about 4 pm which is wine time. I'll try to not slurp :D

possm

Coach
Yep agree. Suggest we start looking under our nose.

Would prefer we give Lawrie substantial minutes for the rest of the season to give him the chance to stake his claim for a place in the 17.

The kid plays with determination, is running hard and marking strong metres in ISP. If he gets half a season of meaningful game time, he may prove to the coaching staff that he has the goods.

Lawrie will add more muscle weight over the off season. Once he bulks up a bit more he won't be dominated by any opposition forward pack.

Where necessary, our props could be:

Vaughan
Frizell
Lawrie
Graham or Latimore

This would create a back row vacancy which could be filled by Host/Leilua or Sele.

I posted something like this under another thread only with Leilua in the prop position instead of Lawrie. I feel Leilua is more suited to the prop position.

BennyV

Referee
Agree.
I'm also not adverse to signing Woods as long as the Dogs are, as you say, picking up a good majority of his freight.
I'm sure also, that Graham will quickly get in his lazy face. Just on Graham i agree next year starting from the bench.
Young Lawrie is looking better each game in ISP and with another year he will be ok imo.
Sele looks the odd one out tbh. Not yet signed past this year and is not really a prop, but is a lot better than most people believe.
Sele, IMO, is our best prospect in the forwards, followed by Host. IF handled correctly that is.

Unfortunately they are currently blocked by JDB and Sims/Friz respectively in their natural positions (forming one of the top back rows in the comp) and are being managed by one of the least competent coaches in the comp...so, yeah...

TruSaint

Referee
I dont see Woods as a replacement for us. Admittedly, I have a bias here. Have never seen the hype about the bloke. Give one of our young juniors a go ( more than 3 minutes per game off the bench ), and if not go to market. Woods doesnt instil me with any confidence.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Woods was NSW's worst player in Origin 3 last year, and that's saying something considering the team performance. At the time I said he should hand back his match fee.

I never noticed him doing much of anything before or since. The only reason I noticed him at all was because of his disgraceful exhibition of avoiding work in that match.

possm

Coach
Interesting that Vaughan plays the least amount of minutes, except Merrin. And they talk about burn out..

It's not just minutes that is the measurement, it's also intensity. A player can be on for 40min and not exert himself whereas, another player can be on for lesser time and have maximum impact. Vaughan is a player that puts in maximum effort each time he plays.

BennyV

Referee
Exhaustion and ‘burnout’ is more than minutes played, training loads and injuries factor in too.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Exhaustion and ‘burnout’ is more than minutes played, training loads and injuries factor in too.

It's a mental thing too. Traveling to and from training, traveling to games, spending time with the same people almost every day, becoming complacent with the routine.

BennyV

Referee
It's a mental thing too. Traveling to and from training, traveling to games, spending time with the same people almost every day, becoming complacent with the routine.
Literally every other team puts up with these issues too. Some moreso than others.

giboz71

First Grade
Sele, IMO, is our best prospect in the forwards, followed by Host. IF handled correctly that is.

Unfortunately they are currently blocked by JDB and Sims/Friz respectively in their natural positions (forming one of the top back rows in the comp) and are being managed by one of the least competent coaches in the comp...so, yeah...

This doesn’t really make sense seeing that “one of the top back rows in the comp” (Friz, JDB and Sims) have all reached rep level under Mary’s watch.

Sele I agree is a good player, but Host has never made a compelling case to put him in FG. Most on this forum (including me) would have slated him to replace Thommo but Mary slotted Sims there instead and he has become an Origin squad player. Mary made the right move.

So Host’s lack of progression is on him, not Mary.

BennyV

Referee
This doesn’t really make sense seeing that “one of the top back rows in the comp” (Friz, JDB and Sims) have all reached rep level under Mary’s watch.

Sele I agree is a good player, but Host has never made a compelling case to put him in FG. Most on this forum (including me) would have slated him to replace Thommo but Mary slotted Sims there instead and he has become an Origin squad player. Mary made the right move.

So Host’s lack of progression is on him, not Mary.
The being blocked by a rep level backrow and having an incompetent coach are 2 mutually exclusive reasons.

And while the right move was made in moving Sims to the left edge, that doesnt counter the fact that the handling of Host over the last 2 years has been horrid. The reason he's not made a 'compelling case' is because majority of his time in first grade has either been spent on the bench (with a token 5 minutes) or has been spent playing as a prop. The opportunities he has had in his natural position hes proven to be quite comfortable in first grade with potential to build into a very good player. Couple this with the fact that I'm not convinced Mary has any clue how to effectively use an edge backrower (look at the difference in the way Friz plays in rep teams vs our team) and it's not hard to see the issue with him.

As for Sele - well, that's more to do with Mary's odd strategy of bringing in youngsters, which have been well discussed on this forum.

Last edited:

Belta

Juniors
Despite the flack by forum members on Woods the stats reposted by Auntie Gerald shows Woods stats mirror Vaughan's only he has 45 offloads to Vaughan's 15. He also has a quick play the ball. His tackle efficiency is one of the highest. So really

Is he overrated? I'd say Yes

Should Vaughan of played Origin instead of Woods last year? I'd say Yes

Is he worthless? I'd say no
If he was signed by the Dragons would he and Vaughan got us good go forward and combined well with our awesome back row? (especially if you have Graham as an interchange) I'd say yes

Hopefully Lawrie could do the same but it's not reflective of his performances in ISP.

So it's Junior Paulo to the Eels, Shannon Boyd to the Titans, Tim Glasby likely to go to Newcastle, Ah Mau to the Warriors and we promote Lawrie.