What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ABC net article - I hate Rugby League

gottabegood

Juniors
I just can't believe the endless hammering Rugby League gets across all media, which no other sports receives. Have a look at this one. Truly these people are the true scum/thugs of the earth. I don't buy any toungue in cheek crap.

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/stories/s2254161.htm

I hate rubgy league

Worst. Sport. Ever.

The eastern states of Australia - well, two of them at least, were brought to a standstill on Wednesday night. It was "Origin Night" – a feast of football well-enough hyped to draw even the most casual observer of Rugby League into the couch-dwelling fray.

I freely admit to watching about ten minutes of it, because State of Origin is supposed to be the ultimate iteration of domestic Rugby League. Instead, it showed the game up for what it is: the stupidest sport in the history of the universe. Dumber than golf, less engaging than curling and even less preferable than having your skin flayed off and being dropped from a helicopter into the middle of a salt pan.

There. I said it.

Rugby League is violent, brutish and ugly – a game played by thugs for the enjoyment of other mindless peons who need their entertainment spoon-fed to them. Don't believe me? Then ask yourself this: Why else would Rugby League need commentators who seem to think that the only way to deliver a call of the game is to have a serious crack at permanently deafening anyone within a ten mile radius, if it wasn't for the fact that the people watching the game are clearly too stupid to follow the action?

Legendary commentator Ray Warren shouts like he's trying to sell water-damaged Persian carpets at less than ten per cent of their retail value. And the more he shouts, the less believable he is – like a carpet commercial shill, he sounds like he's edging closer to having a stroke with every forced syllable that leaves his foam-flecked lips.

That's why, for the State of Origin match, I tried to listen to the 'alternative' commentary, delivered with tongue firmly in cheek by Roy and H.G. on the Triple J network. But the only radio I own is in my car - and without the visuals, even Roy's dry wit and H.G's hilariously unintentional renaming of Carmichael Hunt – no prizes for guessing which part of the female anatomy that name became – could keep me interested in the match.

I was discovered, ten minutes later, slumped behind the wheel of my Mazda, like an antipodean George Michael, only less stoned. Thankfully, I wasn't driving at the time – but it was still embarrassing, being caught napping by a neighbour who is now, I'm sure, utterly convinced that I have a substance abuse problem.

But I digress.

The "sport" of Rugby League is the most helplessly pointless endeavour known to man. It's a sham of a sport. Its supporters claim it's better than Rugby Union because it 'flows more' – an interesting claim, considering that the action grinds to a screaming halt every time someone is caught with the ball.

It's supporters claim that it's one of the toughest games on the planet. And I suppose, if you believe that large, meat-headed, sweaty men wrestling with each other is tough, then yeah ... I can see your point.

But considering that many people honestly believe that a desire between overtly heterosexual men to wrestle each other in mud is a sure sign of a repressed homosexuality, it's not a difficult argument to make that many of the players may well be hiding something from themselves. At least Ian Roberts had the balls (pardon the pun) to come out.

It's little wonder, then, that the most-watched TV show to deal with the topic of this sport is a haven for cross-dressing Neanderthals who love nothing more than getting a bit Benny Hill with each other, while in drag. I don't care if they like it – the thing that they have clearly failed to consider is this: The nature of the comedic aspect of burly blokes dressing up as sheilas is, actually, pretty demeaning to women. And I know a lot of broads who take exception to that kind of sexist punishment in the media.

Worse still is the grossly exaggerated manliness of some of the players, whose only distractions from their on-field gropings of each other are beer-fuelled 'boy's weekends' that end up in seedy motels, while they undertake the noble pursuit of the fairer sex – sometimes entirely without the lady in question's permission.

In some footy circles, this is entirely respectable behaviour, as mates egg each other on in the pursuit of a root after the game.

And even the on-field antics of some Rugby League players are utterly deplorable - John Hopoate's decision to skip medical school and proceed straight to providing free prostate checks for opposing players is just one example of how these gormless idiots behave. They're less-developed than cavemen brawling over who gets to eat the best part of the mammoth.

The footy clubs, from which these 'sportsmen' earn their keep are up in arms at the moment over a proposed tax increase on poker machine earnings that could see them bankrupted – and to those clubs, I say "Good Riddance". When they're not busily fleecing their patrons of their hard-earned dole cheques with the pokies, they're selling them a shallow belief in the false god they call "The Team".

I remember the days when the players weren't professional, highly-strung athletes. To play First Grade footy for the local team was an honour you undertook for the love of your sport (such that it is...), and in between weekend matches, the players held down normal, regular jobs.

It was not uncommon to see a well-built young man going over for a try on Sunday afternoon, and then seeing him emptying your bin into a garbage truck the following Tuesday morning.

These days, it's all about the players – they're pampered, treated like prized possessions, taken out of their box for the game, and then wrapped carefully in cotton wool and stored until the next time the Club wants to play with them. Add to that the ridiculous salaries some of them command – and it's little wonder the Clubs have to leech as much money from their fans as humanly possible.

The whole Rugby League industry is a sham. A cruel hoax. The sale of parochial false hopes to hapless punters is a disgrace – smile at them, take their money at the gate for the match, gouge them $19 for a pie and a beer at half time, then even more over the bar at the Club at the end of the game.

What little's left over is put through the ever-present poker machines and all to pay a bunch of low-brow boofheads to act like a pack of pigs around a dropped melon on a Saturday afternoon.

Rugby League's dwindling fan-base is evident in the falling number of club members and supporters through the gates at the games. And the bigwigs at League HQ are still scratching their heads trying to figure it out.

Well, here's a hint, fellas: The game stinks, the players are serial boozehounds, drug takers and the clubs are bankrupting their own members by pushing for more poker machines to pay a bunch of players with the economic ethics of two-dollar whores – it doesn't matter who's paying the piper – and more often than not, it's the fans who can't afford it.

JW

Coach
LOL

Nothing more than a cut and paste job from a plethora of past articles written by boring hacks who present outdated, yawn-inducing stereotypes as new, hard-hitting facts.

Take a ticket and get in line, plonker. Fair dinkum.

Mish

Juniors
Sheesh, thats the worst I've read. Instead of one or 2 kicks into RL its a blatant ambush.

What happen? Did he catch his Mrs in bed with a star RL player or something... can't blame her tho, the idiot can't even afford a radio.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
That's pretty f**ked up. You wouldn't get away with saying things like that about a religion and get it on the ABC site. I sent the ABC a piece of my mind anyway, not that they'll do anything about it.

gottabegood

Juniors
Here was a previous article written in the SMH guide about the centenary test included in my response, which I forgot top post.

Dear Greg,

This here message is in response to the unbelievable preview knifed by one of your flock in Keith Austin.

First of all here it is retyped in all it's glory.

Rugby League Centenary Test - Fri 7:30pm

"There is some sort of league game going on tonight at the SCG. It's not my sport but I am told it's between Australia and some other mob.
Expect boofheads with no necks running into each other at full tilt. Expect concussion, eye-gouging, testicle twisting and other memorable sporting moments."

How this little boy is able to get away with such outrageous slander, in what is supposed to some sought of reputable newspaper has me speechless....what an extraordinary bully this boy is. This ain't the first time either.

I could diddle daddle away about this but the clear message in his tone is a simple case of prejudice. That he would simply support either Rugby Union or AFL, or has been mandated by yourself or the hierarchy whom support the same, to put the boot in. You agree that this is the trait of the lowest of human forms, so I christen him Little Rudolf...... The funny thing is that he probably wouldn't be as heavy handed if it was a preview on Carl William's new educational video "How to support your family".

I'd like to leave the door open, but, as someone famous said "that sh*t ain't funny" so.....

I will be letting the community be aware of this type of (endless) crap, and will be looking to ensure the right Rugby League people know about this type of slander. Were this leads, who knows.....but I've had enough of these bully boy tactics by the SM bloody H.

Cheers

Choppies

Coach
He is just lashing out because I take it his favourite game is Union and we all know Union is going south in this country faster than a $2 hooker.

Nugby

Juniors
I can only imagine the posts that would get in there if the comments weren't being moderated.

Ari Gold

Bench
WTF? look at the comments below the article, people are actually agreeing with him....

what on earth is going, this week has been a nightmare for RL fans.

Frederick

Staff member
Gregor Stronach is a 35 year old Sydney-based freelance journalist, best known for his work as a writer for The Chaser. He has been writing opinion and satire for more than 15 years.
Credibility = 0