What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Abes speaks out, Sweeney joins Maquarie in Newcastle Competition

MSKnight

Juniors
Originally from RLW

A Stormy Knight
By Matt Logue

Daniel Abraham is still dreaming. He hasn't given up on a gig in the NRL. Deep down he knows he has something to offer, he just wants the chance to prove it.

At 26, Abraham believes his best years are ahead of him, and he's excited by the prospect of linking up the Central Coast Storm in the next season's State Cup.

As the official feeder club to premiers Melbourne in 2007, the Central Cost outfit offers him a a lifeline to the NRL, and Abraham has vowed to grab it with both hands.

"The way the knights treated me was a kick in the guts, but there's no way I'm giving up on a contract somewhere," Abraham tells RLW.

"I would have loved to stay in Newcastle, but Brian Smith said i wouldn't be playing first grade and that hurt.

"I'm just looking forward to a fresh start because there's no way I'm throwing in the towel just yet."

Abraham says he's already spoken to Storm coach Craig Bellamy about his chances of breaking into the premiers' top side.

He is so desperate to return to the NRL he even knocked back a rich offer with the London Harlequins in the English Super League. The back-rower admits he couldn't leave behind his one-year-old son Lane and that's why he remained in Australia.

Instead he'll be working weekdays for his scaffolding business in Newcastle and traveling to the Central Coast to train and play.

'I quite easily could have gone over to England, but i didn't want to leave my son behind and miss out on seeing him grow up," he says.

"First grade is still a realistic aim and Bellamy told me I'd get my chance when the likes of Ryan Hoffman and Dallas Johnson were playing rep footy.

"Jamie Feeney is coaching the Central Coast side, so hopefully his experience will help me get to the top again."

Abraham is not alone though. There are a handful of Newcastle team-mates in exactly the same position.

No longer wanted by coach Smith, they have little choice but to take their careers to the bush and start afresh.

Former fullback Milton Thaiday will link with Central Charlestown in the Newcastle competition.

Fellow Novocastrian Reegan Tanner is in limbo after failing to receive an offer in Australian or from an English club.

Tanner is currently unemployed and training in the hope he'll pick up a contract, but is expecting to sign in the Newcastle competition or the Queensland Cup.

He's hoping to pick up an offer to support his partner Brooke and their baby daughter, Zaili.

'I'm doing my best but i can't wait around forever and I need to start bringing some money home," Tanner says.

'I'll also have to pick some work to support my family and will probably just end up playing locally."

Meanwhile, former Cowboys winger Neil Sweeney has linked with Macquarie in the Newcastle competition while Knights Premier League fullback Nathan Hinton has joined Western Suburbs.

Sweeney was nothing flash for the Cowboys but he is a handy player. Suprised he didnt stay in the NRL.

roopy

Referee
In the paper the other day they said Thaiday, Ling, Larry Tuafua, Laban, Steve Gordon and a few others i can't remember will be some the Newcastle Central Knights players who join with the players not needed by the Knights to be our side in PL.

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
Feel bad for tanner, I thought someone would have thrown him a contract, no good when you see a bloke failing to bring in the $$$ for his family.

Hanscholo

Bench
"The way the Knights treated me was a kick in the guts."

Newcastle Knights Benevolent Society.

Ofcourse keeping perennially injured under achievers is an intelligent move. I know these guys are playing for a living but honestly if Tanner and Abraham hadnt been preparing for life after grade then thats their problem. Its no secret both of them have had hardly spectactular careers and that the door was looming.

I enjoyed some of Abes' footy, but im disappointed that Smith telling him he wasn’t going to play first grade is somehow poor treatment.

I’m starting to see why this team has done nothing but fail since 2001, the pub team culture needs to go.

Alex28

Coach
KniGhTs BaTTLeR said:
Feel bad for tanner, I thought someone would have thrown him a contract, no good when you see a bloke failing to bring in the $$$ for his family.
See...we copped pretty of s*** because we dumped some players, however this is a vindication that we have done the right thing. The guy can not get an offer - fullstop. Why do we want a guy like him when absolutely no one else in the comp wants him?

If he is battling for dollars - then go out and get some work away from footy like Abes and Milton have done. We are under no obligation to re-sign him.

I have a feeling the next few years will show how well these other blokes are going at other clubs. I'll back a few of them being back in the real NRL.

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
Alex28 said:
See...we copped pretty of s*** because we dumped some players, however this is a vindication that we have done the right thing. The guy can not get an offer - fullstop. Why do we want a guy like him when absolutely no one else in the comp wants him?

If he is battling for dollars - then go out and get some work away from footy like Abes and Milton have done. We are under no obligation to re-sign him.

I have a feeling the next few years will show how well these other blokes are going at other clubs. I'll back a few of them being back in the real NRL.

I never said we should have re-signed him, I just said I felt sorry for him because he isn't providing for his family, we should have let Tanner go ages ago. Just because he hasn't played that well for the Knights that means I should become a heartless prick and say good sh*t its his fault for not thinking ahead.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
KniGhTs BaTTLeR said:

Why would someone have thrown him a contract? He plays lock forward yet he offloads less than your avg winger. Not to mention how he is always dominated in tackles.

He has got nothing!

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
Bring it home Knights said:
Why would someone have thrown him a contract? He plays lock forward yet he offloads less than your avg winger. Not to mention how he is always dominated in tackles.

He has got nothing!

His better then alot of the players in the QLD cup. His still not in their top echelon but he would be a solid pick-up for one of their sides. Granted I dont think his NRL material but QLD cup I thought would throw him a bone.

parra pete

Referee
KniGhTs BaTTLeR said:

He should be like everyone else...Go and get a job...

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
parra pete said:
He should be like everyone else...Go and get a job...

It's not that easy, his whole life would have revolved aroung league he would have been relying on it to raise his daughter and look after his family. Prolly will have to bite the bullet and get a real job now but you can't help but feel for the bloke. Wouldn't be easy being rejected. Thats all im saying.

macavity

Referee
his daughter is really cute - saw him at Coles the other day.

can't believe how tiny he is though - I had a good 4 inches on him, and im no giant..... prob had 35kgs on him too.....

antonius

Coach
Hanscholo said:
"The way the Knights treated me was a kick in the guts."

Newcastle Knights Benevolent Society.

Ofcourse keeping perennially injured under achievers is an intelligent move. I know these guys are playing for a living but honestly if Tanner and Abraham hadnt been preparing for life after grade then thats their problem. Its no secret both of them have had hardly spectactular careers and that the door was looming.

I enjoyed some of Abes' footy, but im disappointed that Smith telling him he wasn’t going to play first grade is somehow poor treatment.

I’m starting to see why this team has done nothing but fail since 2001, the pub team culture needs to go.
Those comments certainly apply to Tanner, but Abes?? get real, the bloke had one serious injury and came back to soon, prior to that he played virtually uninjured from 2000 through to 2005 was players player one year, country rep and is the 14th highest point scorer in the clubs history. I hope he makes it back to the NRL he has the skills and is by no means an underachiever, just unlucky.

AdamT

Juniors
macavity said:
his daughter is really cute - saw him at Coles the other day.

can't believe how tiny he is though - I had a good 4 inches on him, and im no giant..... prob had 35kgs on him too.....

Hey Mac - it sounds like you are calling his daughter a he.....

You had 35kegs on him? Mate you've got 35kegs on the majority of the human population - except for maybe myself..... lol and its not all muscle neither... Too many legal eagle long lunches I suspect and not enough exercise

macavity

Referee
article in the telecrap says Abes has reconciled with his mrs, and is about to sign with Harlequins and take said mrs and bubs to London.... and the CC Storm are signing Reegan to replace Abes, and are close to a deal with Quigs too.

good luck abes, hope you kill it over there. I reckon your pig hunting will suffer though, and remember, dont eat fish out of the Thames....