What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adelaide Sharks?

Godz Illa

Coach
Wonderin why there is no thread on this. Some intriguing comments in this article...

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...ome-in-adelaide/2008/10/22/1224351349902.html

Dogs rile Sharks with push for second home in Adelaide

Andrew Webster | October 23, 2008

The Sharks have accused the Bulldogs of undermining them in the battle for the hearts and minds of AFL-obsessed Adelaide.
In a sure sign of the desperation of Sydney clubs to expand into new markets, the Herald can reveal the Bulldogs are on the verge of securing two home matches a season at Adelaide Oval.
Bulldogs chief executive Todd Greenberg will meet the South Australian Cricket Association and SA Tourism today. It is understood South Australian Premier Mike Rann is a firm supporter of the move.
But the negotiations have incensed the Sharks, who announced earlier this month they had signed a three-year deal to play one home game a season at Hindmarsh Stadium. Cronulla boss Tony Zappia phoned NRL chief executive David Gallop to vent his frustration.
"We're very disappointed that another Sydney club wants to come over the top of us. We thought we would be the only ones there," Zappia said. "The Bulldogs have taken games to Brisbane and New Zealand without much success. Now they want to try Adelaide, where we have agreed to play one game a year for the next three years.
"We've tried to find a new revenue stream in a different market, and they've come in over the top of us. We'd like to think the NRL would step in and stop it."
So far, the NRL has had a luke-warm response to the Bulldogs' proposal because the Sharks were the first to move home matches to Adelaide. They will play North Queensland in round six at the 17,000-seat venue.
NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley said there would be no promise of exclusivity. "We are limited in the amount of financial support we can provide," he said. "We are not going to stop the Bulldogs from playing there, and we said that to the Sharks all along. But because Cronulla were the first one to move a home game to Adelaide, we can only help them with financial support."
Annesley also denied speculation the NRL had been agitating behind the scenes for the cash-strapped Sharks to move to Adelaide.
It is unclear what financial incentive SACA, which controls Adelaide Oval, will provide the Bulldogs, but it is understood it offered cash inducements of about $100,000 to the Sharks before Hindmarsh Stadium countered the offer.
When the SACA courted AFL club North Melbourne about playing home matches there, it is believed to have offered to underwrite the fixtures for about $400,000. The association is desperate for new revenue streams to help fund a $90 million redevelopment of its ground.
Like the Sharks, Greenberg said the Bulldogs were keen to establish Adelaide as their second home and wanted to forge a similar relationship to that between AFL premiers Hawthorn and Tasmania.
Just as the Hawks have done with Tasmania, he would not rule out embroidering "Adelaide" on the famed blue-and-white jersey if it helped clinch the deal.
"The relationship between Hawthorn and Tasmania is one that seems to work very well," he said. "We are keen to broaden ourselves into new markets and make our brand as national as possible so we can attract blue-chip sponsors. And they want us to help promote their city on our behalf."
The Bulldogs played one home match in Brisbane last season, and some directors reportedly investigated a move to the Central Coast.
"But relocation is not on our agenda whatsoever," he said. "Because we share ANZ Stadium with several other Sydney clubs, we can move some home games and it does not impact heavily on our core supporters. This is a strategic move to help strengthen the long-term future of the club. We'd like to make Adelaide our second home."

Parra

Referee
They should both go to Adelaide tomorrow and start their own Super League. Would solve a few issues in one hit.

Perth Red

Post Whore
This is what you get when you let the lunatics run the asylum! It should be the NRL who are strategicaly instigating this type of push, not leaving it to clubs whose soul intent is to bring in a few more $'s.

Good news for Adelaide Rl fans though.

This bit is interesting But because Cronulla were the first one to move a home game to Adelaide, we can only help them with financial support. What financial incentives is the NRL offering clubs I wonder?

ByRd

First Grade
Piss of Todd, not only one game but two games down there, i know clubs are looking for extra ways of making money but we have gone to Wellington, Gold Coast, Brisbane and now Adelaide, one game ok but 2 piss off

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Wonderin why there is no thread on this. Some intriguing comments in this article...
There's a good fun discussion in the Bulldogs section happening right now.
Greenburg is a in the wrong here for even contemplating it.
I've even told you how to spell his name and you still get it wrong? F*ck me you're braindead.
And please tell me how he's wrong for wanting to make money for the club? How also is he wrong for providing the Adelaide public with the opportunity to see some more NRL?
Piss of Todd, not only one game but two games down there, i know clubs are looking for extra ways of making money but we have gone to Wellington, Gold Coast, Brisbane and now Adelaide, one game ok but 2 piss off
Two games I agree is probably a little overboard but as I've outlined elsewhere we're lucky enough to have contra deals with both South Sydney and Parramatta when they host us at ANZ, in effect maintaining 12 home games. We've been blessed in that department in all fairness and it's for that reason this doesn't faze me.

macavity

Referee
interesting both are gunning for Adelaide and neither for Perth, which would seem a more natural fit.

ByRd

First Grade
Yeh thats true Timmah in reference to the Eels and Souths home games but i think we should take 1 game and see how it goes and if its good then take 2 after that but no more

RUNVS

Juniors
interesting both are gunning for Adelaide and neither for Perth, which would seem a more natural fit.

First off i have to say that i am a AFL fan (to avoid confusion) but if i was a NRL fan then i would perfer a team in Perth than Adelaide. As a AFL fan i can tell you that Perth sports fans are better than Adelaide sports fans. Adelaide is full of bandwaggoners which isnt ideal for a new NRL team. When a team is doing well they will support it but when a team is doing badly that support falls away faster than you could possibly imagine.

Atleast in Perth they have abit of loyalty towards their club so even when their club isnt performing well the Perth fans will continue to support it.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Not sure whether you're being tongue in cheek about the clubs, but South Sydney are already headed for Perth.
Yeh thats true Timmah in reference to the Eels and Souths home games but i think we should take 1 game and see how it goes and if its good then take 2 after that but no more
Sounds like a good idea to me. While I agree with the move, I can see the need for it to be properly managed.
First off i have to say that i am a AFL fan (to avoid confusion) but if i was a NRL fan then i would perfer a team in Perth than Adelaide. As a AFL fan i can tell you that Perth sports fans are better than Adelaide sports fans. Adelaide is full of bandwaggoners which isnt ideal for a new NRL team. When a team is doing well they will support it but when a team is doing badly that support falls away faster than you could possibly imagine.

Atleast in Perth they have abit of loyalty towards their club so even when their club isnt performing well the Perth fans will continue to support it.
On the contrary, I have family in Adelaide and they and their friends were avid Rams fans in the two years they existed. They've been staunch Storm supporters ever since and can't wait for NRL to be back there. I know that's only a small few but it may speak to the majority...?

Perth Red

Post Whore

Maybe clubs know that the WA Reds are heading for the NRL soon so don't see a future market as much as Adelaide which probably won't have an NRL team for at least 9-10 years?

Dogs Of War

Coach
Maybe clubs know that the WA Reds are heading for the NRL soon so don't see a future market as much as Adelaide which probably won't have an NRL team for at least 9-10 years?

Personally I would have thought it better to have games played in Perth, and get the Reds matches as an undercard event (even promote it that way), to help generate support for the club. Maybe thats something the Reds need to assist with trying to lay the groundwork for clubs to come over and play matches over there.

yakstorm

First Grade
Well both the Bulldogs and Sharks are aware of the progress of the Reds, as well know they don't have the connections in the west like the Rabbitohs do with PHaC, so are going for the Adelaide market to make their own for the long term.

Honestly if you are a club trying to expand your market, would you really want to go into an area you know there is a good chance there will be a competitor in within the next 10 years and who will leach off all your hard work once admitted?