What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adelaide Sharks?

Dogs Of War

Coach
Well both the Bulldogs and Sharks are aware of the progress of the Reds, as well know they don't have the connections in the west like the Rabbitohs do with PHaC, so are going for the Adelaide market to make their own for the long term.

Honestly if you are a club trying to expand your market, would you really want to go into an area you know there is a good chance there will be a competitor in within the next 10 years and who will leach off all your hard work once admitted?

Which is the perfect reason for the NRL to organise all this. Takes away the self interest in our game, and lets us create new markets a proper way.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Yeah but we know that's not going to happen, so this'll have to do.

Pray for an independant body. Similar to the NFL.

Would love to see automatic bans like the NFL for misbehaviour, which would then bring the players into line a lot more. Clubs can't be trusted to do it properly.

Vossy

Bench
pfft..let the dogs have it, ben roberts would have a field day with a whole new police force to piss off..let SA deal with the constant law breakers..

Dogs Of War

Coach
pfft..let the dogs have it, ben roberts would have a field day with a whole new police force to piss off..let SA deal with the constant law breakers..

You posted the same thing in the Sharks forum.

Either way, Ben Roberts in on thin ice. Whats the bet Ricky takes him if we get rid of him. He can still piss off the SA police force, but he only gets one chance (unless we take our home game against you to SA!)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Personally I would have thought it better to have games played in Perth, and get the Reds matches as an undercard event (even promote it that way), to help generate support for the club. Maybe thats something the Reds need to assist with trying to lay the groundwork for clubs to come over and play matches over there.

That's exactly what's happening next season. The Reds will play as openers for the Roosters and Sth's games to be held in Perth.

http://www.waredsrugbyleague.com.au/content/news/?page=3&nid=3411&oid=

The WA Reds Rugby League has secured an agreement with NRL club, St George Dragons, to play the Sydney Roosters in a pre season trial in February 2009 with options for repeat games in 2010 and 2011, WARL/Reds Chairman Geoff Baldwin announced today.

“The WA Reds will play a trial against Jim Beam Cup grand finalists, Sydney Bulls, in the St George/Sydney Roosters curtain raiser and the Reds will also play the opener to the Souths/Storm game in June.

“The WARL Reds have arranged for both Wayne Bennett and Brad Fittler to head up a coaching and leadership forum in the lead up to the February trial which will provide a unique opportunity to coaches from all WA sporting codes to interact with and learn from these iconic leaders.

rabbitohs

Juniors
These 'trips' will only work if the 3 games last for a few years and Adelaide can build an allegiance to one or the other (it should be only one though). The Dogs idea of having Adelaide as a sponsor like the Hawks is also a good one.

The Dogs also have a history of aiding SA League.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Surely that doesn't fit with our "scummy" image. :sarcasm:

Timmah

Staff member
It's hard not to have humility when you're a Bulldogs fan :crazy:

joshreading

Staff member
Well aren't we now in a difficult position - teams clamouring to get into Adelaide. It should be only one though, and the NRL should back Sharks. I think other teams like Bulldogs should be able to take game there but only against the Sharks.

Timmah

Staff member
Pffft. Let's start limiting expansion initiatives :clap:

flamin

Juniors
So the Bulldogs are taking 2 games there?

So there'll be 5 there next year. I just hope it doesn't spread the market to thinly so that the RL bosses think Adelaide is a lost cause.

joshreading

Staff member
When you divide a limited pie and fight over scraps eventually no one wins. A focussed effort to establish loyalty to not only a code but to a team (which is easier then the code) is needed.

Timmah

Staff member
So the Bulldogs are taking 2 games there?

So there'll be 5 there next year. I just hope it doesn't spread the market to thinly so that the RL bosses think Adelaide is a lost cause.

Five? :| How does that work?

ucantseeme

Juniors
The Bulldogs are looking at Adelaide for financial reasons, but since they play their homegames at ANZ Stadium where they have financial guarantees, what is the incentive to move? I doubt SA can offer significantly more $ to make it worthwhile considering the extra costs involved of travel, accomodation and advertising.

The Bulldogs also have a promotion for "10,000 Members by 2010". I don't know how far off they are but surely the Adelaide proposal won't help them reach this goal.

I don't have an issue with the Sharks playing one game a season in SA, but if the Bulldogs do the same thing it will no doubt water down the impact the Sharks would have.

The NRL should step in and tell the Bulldogs no way now how you're too late. The NRL should work with the Sharks with the intention of showcasing RL to SAers leading to RL development and a NRL team sometime this century.

Timmah

Staff member
I would've thought competition was healthy. And if the Bulldogs established two games per season there and used Adelaide or SA as their major sponsor (as for membership impact, you're forgetting there are two "home" away games that Bulldogs members are allowed free entry for), then it could be a financial boon.

I don't think it's a good idea to pass judgement if you've got no idea of the financial benefits. Nor do I think it's fair to exclude us because Cronulla are already doing something. To be totally fair, Cronulla are playing at a stadium that rarely draws more than 7-8k through the gate.