What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Afl 2004 - Round 19

CyberKev

Staff member
Fremantle (23) vs Collingwood

St Kilda (66) vs Adelaide

Essendon (19) vs Carlton

Sydney Swans (9)vs Kangaroos

Western Bulldogs vs Hawthorn (32)

Brisbane Lions (55)vs West Coast Eagles

Richmond vs Geelong (44)

Port Adelaide (30)vs Melbourne

Are we there yet?

Given the recent surge in coaching sackings you could be excused for thinking that we had at least seen the back of the home and away season!

I'm expecting Sydney and the Kangaroos to put on the game of the round, with both sides desperate to shore-up tenuous positions at the lower end of the 8. The Kangaroos position looks truly forlorn and they MUST win here, or all but concede the finals in 2004. Sydney were sensational last week and a performance anything near 75% like that will be good enough here. Both sides suffer from a dearth of overall class, but the Swans will certainly respond better to the small SCG surrounds. Glenn Archer's 250th should inspire the blue & whites, but at the end of the day they lack the poise required to be a genuine finals aspirant. Sydney to sneak home.

Fremantle and Collingwood should also be an entertaining contest, with the Magpies enjoying a good record against Freo in past times. Freo will almost surely nail a home final, but would be expected to win matches like this against ordinary and flat opposition. The Dockers still look better on paper than they do in the flesh, but their height and midfield dash should be hard for the black & whites to counter, particularly on the wide open spaces of Subiaco. The Dockers lack the killer punch to take out the genuine top sides, but should have more than enough in reserve here.

You can bet dollars to donuts that the Bulldogs and Hawthorn will play to one of the 5 smallest crowds of the season this week. That being said, I'm still predicting a tough and tight contest for much of the day, with Hawthorn grinding down the opposition for a long overdue win. Hawthorn is struggling, but its effort across 4 quarters was solid against the ladder leader last week, and the Bulldogs have endured a shocking week and would be well down on morale. Never thought I'd be tipping the Hawks again this season, but there you go.

Melbourne heads to Adelaide a game clear on top of the table and confident in the knowledge that it has comfortably beaten the Power twice over 2003-04. Of course, both these results were recorded at the MCG, and it should be remembered that the Demons were destroyed by struggling Adelaide on their last visit to AAMI Stadium. Port were terrible themselves against Essendon (who they've "owned" in recent years) and will be keen to atone for that milksop display. Generally this season the Power has shown solid running defence and sound ball getting capacity and would be expected to have the strength and experience to rebound strongly at home.

St Kilda is rarely beaten at the Telstra Dome and will prove far too tall, fast and skilled for a troubled Adelaide team. The Crows deserve credit for gutsing out an ugly win against the Kangaroos last week, but they sadly lack the key position strength to be able to run with the Saints in the ever-perfect conditions at the Dome.

Conversely, Carlton has shown itself to be regularly capable of beating Essendon regardless of ladder positions. Its form has been indifferent all season, but I still expect it to perform solidly here. Essendon should win though, mainly because it remains firmly in the finals hunt and would appear to have too much forward power for the Blues defence. If Essendon expects to play finals for a club record 7th successive season then it must win a game like this. Still too good with its experienced core group for the limited but improving Blues.

Brisbane coming off a bad upset loss, at home to an ordinary Eagles side? It can only be a matter of margin...

Geelong was fabulous against the Saints in a scintillating match last Sunday, and has Richmond beaten all across the park. I'm expecting the Cats to be a boom side in 2005, and its not as if they're too shabby now. Best defence in the competition, exciting and hard running midfield, rock solid ruck capability, and an unpretentious but workmanlike forward structure. A handy overall package in this competition! Richmond still have some forward sting and can muster genuine midfield drive when on song, but remain light-on for class in many positions and lack the stamina to go all day with a side that works as hard as this Geelong side. Its also the hardest physical Geelong side I can remember...

Looking forward to seeing them go around in the finals.

CyberKev

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
Its also the hardest physical Geelong side I can remember...

Looking forward to seeing them go around in the finals.

CyberKev

Agree 110% here mate.

They will slaughter Richmond on Sunday :(

Cupid Stunt

Fremantle vs Collingwood

St Kilda vs Adelaide

Essendon vs Carlton

Sydney Swans vs Kangaroos

WESTERN BULLDOGS vs Hawthorn. :clap:

Brisbane Lions vs West Coast Eagles

Richmond vs Geelong

Port Adelaide vs Melbourne

Cricketer

Juniors
Freo
Saints
Bombers
Swans
Dogs
Lions
Tigers
Dees

I think the Tigers are a chance as I don't know how much was taken out of the Cats last week in a fantastic game of tough footy. Yes I love my Tigers and I think they are a chance.

The Dees hopefully will get over the Power - once you play one on one footy against the Power they are vulnerable.

meltiger

First Grade
Cricketer said:
I think the Tigers are a chance as I don't know how much was taken out of the Cats last week in a fantastic game of tough footy. Yes I love my Tigers and I think they are a chance.

Ahh the joys of being a Richmond supporter, don't worry mate, I know your pain ;-)

We won't win but I'll be there regardless singing and cheering all day.

GO Tigers! :)

dougthelegend

Juniors
Fremantle will be far to strong for Collingwood. Being at Subaico is worth at least 4 goals to the WA Boys - an advantage i can't see the Pies getting over.

St Kilda should easily overrun Adelaide by a big margin. Despite their loss against the cats, the Saints just have too much class all over the ground for Adelaide, who will be buoyed by their win last week over the up and down kangaroos.

Essendon with Lucas and Hird both named in the team announced yesterday, Essendon should easily account for the Blues. However, going on past history, i wouldnt put it past the Bluebaggers to get pretty close.

Sydney will easily account for a gritty Kanagaroo's outfit. Both teams have a lot to play for, with the Kangaroos in the midst of a dogfight to make the final eight yet again. Sydney should beat the determined roos by about 2 goals.

In the worst game of the round, the Bulldogs should have too much for the undermanned Hawks. Will be the lowest skill game of the round, will easily be the most boring game of the round. Bulldogs by 12.

The lions are firing on ally cylinders heading towards an unprecidented 4th flag in a row, they should be far to good for the Eagles. Lions by 36 points.

Geelong will easily account for the lack lustre at best tigers. One of the most dissapointing sides of 2004. Geelong by 50+

Melbourne easily accounted for Port when they met earlier in the year, but at AAMI stadium, and with most of their stars back, Port will be a much tougher assignement, i said the same thing though when the Dees took on Freo at Subi, for that reason alone, im going with the dees by about 12 points.

AuckMel

Bench
Freo in a close one, although a Pies upset wouldn't surprise me.
Saints
Bombers
Swans
Dogs
Lions
Cats
Port

meltiger

First Grade
I REALLY hope the AFL next year thinks long and hard about Friday night Football and the teams involved.

Two truely terrible games in a row. What an advertisement for the game Collingwood, Adelaide and North Melbourne have been the last two weeks :evil:

oxenham

Juniors
Fremantle V Collingwood- Collingwood by 33
St Kilda V Adelaide- St Kilda by 23
Essendon V Carlton- Carlton by 17 Woo hoo git them all right AND the margins :lol:
Sydney V Kangaroos- Kangaroos by 8
Western Bulldogs V Hawthorn- bit of a who cares anyway- Western Bulldogs by 209
Brisbane V West Coast- Brisbane by 79
Richmond V Geelong- Geelong by 106
Port Adelaide V Melbourne- Melbourne by 28
A few thrashings expected this week...I might have gone over the top with the Bulldogs one...it'll prolly be 100 or 150 points less than that
Son of oxenham

oxenham

Juniors
Cricketer said:
Oh the Swans!! bahahahahahahahahaha sucked in!! What a great win by the Kangas. Go you good thing!
Exactly! Good on you Kangas, what a comeback :D :D :D :D :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :music2:

CyberKev

Staff member
dougthelegend said:
In the worst game of the round, the Bulldogs should have too much for the undermanned Hawks. Will be the lowest skill game of the round, will easily be the most boring game of the round. Bulldogs by 12.

Ah hyperbole...

This was most likely always going to be a fab game given the relative closeness of the two sides. It was certainly well ahead of the Essendon vs Carlton game for skill and excitement, and several other matches besides.

CyberKev

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
Cricketer said:

Ahh the joys of being a Richmond supporter, don't worry mate, I know your pain ;-)

We won't win but I'll be there regardless singing and cheering all day.

GO Tigers! :)

Not a bad effort given the burgeoning quality of the opposition.

What do you make of all the Hodge to Richmond talk?

The lad broke through for his first BOG on Saturday night and will cut a swathe through sides if he can ever get his fitness to the required level.

Apparently the talk is based upon Hodge supporting Richmond as a kid and his supposed unhappiness at Hawthorn.

Hawthorn need make sure that he is kept and named captain as soon as possible.

Would you take him with the priority pick if the chance arose?

CyberKev

Cricketer

Juniors
Not to sure about that one. I'd take him, but not for our first pick. I'm still waiting for the coach to be selected, that's my priority at the moment.

meltiger

First Grade
Well it's all internet rumour as far as I am concerned. Am yet to see anything outside of the net to indicate Hodge is coming to Richmond. All the stories I have heard are similar to yours, supported Richmond as a kid, blah blah blah.

We shall see.

& a pirority pick? f**k no. Pre season draft baby :) lol I'm relatively certain he is off contract so no need to use a pick in the October draft. The External draft has to be about kids, or truly proven players.

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
Well it's all internet rumour as far as I am concerned. Am yet to see anything outside of the net to indicate Hodge is coming to Richmond. All the stories I have heard are similar to yours, supported Richmond as a kid, blah blah blah.

We shall see.

& a pirority pick? f**k no. Pre season draft baby :) lol I'm relatively certain he is off contract so no need to use a pick in the October draft. The External draft has to be about kids, or truly proven players.

Obviously the Tigers would take him in the PSD if the chance arose, but I suspect that the Bulldogs will finish between Hawthorn and Richmond on the ladder, meaning that Hodge would not want to risk ending up at the Hounds by nominating for the PSD.

Of course, my priority pick idea couldn't really happen anyway, as these picks HAVE to be used in the November draft.

At any rate, I will also believe he's leaving when I see it. For mine, the rumour is yet to have any greater substance than talk of Ball to Hawthorn, based on similar premises.

CyberKev

meltiger

First Grade
Between Richmond and Hawthorn?

You are assuming Hawthorn are going to win the wooden spoon?

It's making an unhappy return to Punt Road this year I am afraid :(

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
Between Richmond and Hawthorn?

You are assuming Hawthorn are going to win the wooden spoon?

It's making an unhappy return to Punt Road this year I am afraid :(

Let the Dutch Auction begin :p

Even if we were to assume that Hawthorn could beat Richmond in a fornight's time...

They aren't going to beat Brisbane or Geelong, and aren't going to breach the gap in percentage between the two sides.

Congratulations on snaring Wallace too, by the way.

CyberKev

Latest posts