What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL coup will rock NRL

El Diablo

Post Whore
Western Sydney is gone. Maybe if the NRL works hard it may save Gosford and Bondi.

AFL is really teaching the NRL a lesson here.

NRL ? Put a team in Melbourne and hope it works. AFL ? Put a team in West Sydney and give it a sh*tload of draft picks and favouritism so it has to work and be successful and bring in a big name in coaching.

Not all is lost for the NRL though, I hear Dapto need a team.

Victorian alert

whats hes name will be close to 65 before the 2nd sydney team roles around
and he will be 66 when they die a horrible death avg 5 people a game
:lol:

Blind Freddy

Juniors
If you were to compare today's SMH and Daily Tele Rugby League sections on their respective websites, you'd swear that the Fairfax owned SMH was the half owner of the NRL instead of New Ltd/Daily Tele.

Goddo

Bench
Lets take a quick look at the West sydney outfit so far.

Building a training centre to be shared with cricket at Blacktown.
Want, but not getting (because the NSW Gov are afraid of a voter backlash), a redeveloped Showground for their home matches. Will probably have to use ANZ.
Are marketing themselves heavily at ethnic groups that don't follow any Australian sport. oddly enough, this includes the Lebanese comunity that are currently Bulldogs fans.
Apoint an old Victorian sook as coach.
Want the joint to be membership driven in an area where there is next to no interest in AFL.
Are having millions spent on promoting the club.
Have a stated aim of signing a high profile Sydney NRL player.
Are expected to be financially dependent on the AFL for at least 20 years.

vs
Bulldogs, Tigers, Parramatta, Penrith
+ Western Sydney Rovers (a league)

The Swans are a generic novelty team (like the Storm is in Vic) which are only now taking off after winning a comp, but have a very shaky position, and are really only going up against the Roosters.

Hmm, me thinks WS will be a fringe joint for a long, long time before folding.

Last edited:

BLKOUT!

Juniors
I don't understand how this is a "coup"... the guy was previously unemployed as a head coach. So they basically got a guy with no job and have given him a job. That's not a coup.

Apey

Staff member
Main pic in the Victorian paper.

572395-kevin-sheedy.jpg

Excelsior!

al-gore-is-manbearpig.jpg

El Diablo

Post Whore
I don't understand how this is a "coup"... the guy was previously unemployed as a head coach. So they basically got a guy with no job and have given him a job. That's not a coup.

just like Grant Mayer

so they now have a CEO and a coach that were sacked from their last clubs and couldn't get a gig anywhere else

coach

Sheedy is so old he could be dead before the team plays a game.

Gee talk about a beat up of a story.

Living in Perth I know who the bloke is but lets face it, in 27 years of coaching he only won 4 premierships (2 in his first couple of years I have been told), and was effectively sacked at Essendon a couple of years back.

Most people over here in Perth think that West Sydney is a waste of time for the AFL

Not only that but the two worse teams in the AFL (Melbourne and Richmond) didn't want him as coach ... this is just another beat up story by the AFL friendly media

The Western Sydney AFL team will fail within five years and will be quickly considered as the worse decision by any sporting league in Australia.

Devilous

Juniors
Well we had a good run, 100 odd years long.

Now with the appointment of a coach who was pretty much fired from his last job. In a market that has NFI who he is and thousands who think he is batsh*t crazy......

Western Sydney will be AFL heartland by tomorrow......

We will all be following the AFL in 3 years time.......

Bye bye rugby league!!!!

:roll:

Hey! I could run the Daily Telegraph with that sort of quality journalism!!:lol:

Well we had a good run, 100 odd years long.

Now with the appointment of a coach who was pretty much fired from his last job. In a market that has NFI who he is and thousands who think he is batsh*t crazy......

Western Sydney will be AFL heartland by tomorrow......

We will all be following the AFL in 3 years time.......

Bye bye rugby league!!!!

:roll:

Hey! I could run the Daily Telegraph with that sort of quality journalism!!:lol:

You just got yourself a job on Channel 9