What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL escalates turf war with NRL

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/ne...against-ireland/2008/06/03/1212258825882.html
AFL escalates turf war with NRL

Roy Masters, Sydney | June 4, 2008

AN AFL approach to stage an Australia-Ireland international rules match at the Sydney Cricket Ground in competition with the opening ceremony of rugby league's centenary World Cup has escalated the scheduling conflict between the two codes and threatens to erupt into an all-out turf war.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou pressured the SCG Trust to host the hybrid rules match one or two days before the October 26 World Cup opening ceremony and an Australia-New Zealand match at the adjacent Sydney Football Stadium.

Confirming the approach, SCG Trust general manager Jamie Barclay said: "Demetriou wanted to play the international rules match at the SCG on either the Friday or the Saturday before the Sunday World Cup opening ceremony and opening match, but we already had signed a contract with the Rugby League International Federation to stage their events.

"On that basis, we were unable to do it."

The AFL then approached ANZ Stadium at Homebush Bay but support from NSW Major Events evaporated and the match was relocated to Subiaco Oval. While the NSW Government is a financial backer of the World Cup, the alternative plan to play at Homebush Bay was also scuttled because of the potential embarrassment of a poor crowd in Sydney's west.

Australian Rugby League chairman Colin Love, who is the World Cup tournament director, said: "I would have been extremely disappointed if the Trust had not rejected the application and I would be extremely disappointed if it was the aim of the AFL to rain on our parade."

The AFL denies the scheduling was designed to frustrate rugby league. "We see ourselves as a different event," a spokesman said. "We were keen to play in Sydney because the GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) say there is a strong call to play there.

"We made the inquiry to play at the SCG and were told it was not available. ANZ was very keen to host the event but we could not get funding support from NSW Major Events."

Rugby league and the AFL go head-to-head on the Gold Coast on June 28 when the Titans play the Dragons at 5.30pm at Skilled Park and North Melbourne hosts St Kilda at Carrara at 7.10pm.

National Rugby League chief operating officer Graham Annesley claims an approach was made from Fox Sports, which telecasts both codes, to change the Titans match to the following day to accommodate the AFL.

Annesley said: "Demetriou says no approach was made from the AFL to Fox Sports but I've got no doubt a call was made. That call to Fox Sports certainly led to a call to us from Fox Sports asking us to change the time of the match. But the Titans prefer Saturday night, rather than Sunday matches, and we refused to change."

Titans managing director Michael Searle accused the AFL of "running interference", saying: "Our draw was out first. The AFL scheduled two of North Melbourne's three matches up here when we are playing at home. If they were so desperate to avoid us, they could have scheduled to play the June 28 match when we were away.

"Asking us to change is akin to (Melbourne Storm chief executive) Brian Waldron asking Collingwood to change their kick-off time at the MCG. They overestimate their power in this market."

Coinciding with the scheduling battle is a mooted plan for the AFL to buy ANZ Stadium for its second Sydney team, also allowing it to be landlord to five NRL clubs. It is suggested this is a smokescreen for the AFL's main intention of using the adjacent Sydney Showground as a training and administrative centre for the team

grubs

this Demetriou wanker thinks he's King ****

take your geniused game elsewhere

the funny thing is it shows hes afraid of the RLWC and is trying to show that AFL has an international exposure.

FMD AFL cant even find another nation to play their game against.

if i were an AFL id be very worried about AFLs lack of international expasion.

heck id even be worried about their expansion into queensland and nsw too

8Ball

First Grade
The AFL denies the scheduling was designed to frustrate rugby league. "We see ourselves as a different event," a spokesman said. "We were keen to play in Sydney because the GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) say there is a strong call to play there.

:crazy::crazy:

Riiiiiiiiiiight.....

Alehana

Juniors
hes obvisouly the small kid, who is jealous of the bigger kid and his toys, and is trying to compete with them, but its so stupid......

fuc*** sell out, i hope u sydney syders reject afl, like i wish WA did.

Nuke

Staff member
I was smiling away here as I read that article. My first reaction was of hatred of the aussie rules arrogance being on display yet again, but then I kept reading and saw that for all their **** tactics they're trying to use against us (and make no mistake at all, it is exactly what they're trying to do), they're getting told to piss off. In previous years, they've staged some 'legends' game on the same night as an Origin match, now they're trying to stage their farce of an international game against our World Cup. They've claimed this is their 150th year, and by golly, it just happened that this was our 100th year (but of course they celebrated their 100th year only 12 years ago ... you do the math!). They're trying to take over our heartland with their crap 'sport', yet are being met -particularly on the Gold Coast- with councils, governments, and the general public's opposition.

Yet they claim they're not purposely causing schedules to clash. Arrogant arseholes.

The fact that they're now playing that farcial 'test' game in Perth instead of Sydney (after the SCG Trust told them they won't be pushed away from their League agreements, and the NSW Government telling them they won't be clashing with the Rugby League World Cup) says an awful lot.

The two things it says most to me: 1) Aussie rules thinks it can bully, buy, and push around anyone and everyone to get what they want; 2) They are not as powerful as they think they are.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Pathetic, during the Union WC, Rugby League didn't say anything other than, good luck Wallabies, and we all know the history between those two codes, the AFL though.

My god, what a bunch of arseholes, I hope they continue to do stuff like this, it will only make more people in these states go against their code more, and infact it could actually help RL get more fans off their butts and going to games to help their club and code and also to give the AFL a big massive F U at the same time.

The arrogance of the AFL is astounding.

Trying to claim there is a strong demand for a some bullshit halfbreed 'international' fixture in the home of rugby league...right before our genuine world cup that has been around for 50 years...no, doesn't seem like a blatant attempt to run interference at all.

On top of that you have Demetriou's musings that a contract with a state government is easily circumvented...you know. Legally binding agreements where you were given 100's of millions of dollars based on certain promises mean nothing right Andrew? Wanker!

Of course then we have the 150 years farce....

Annesely and Searle are the only two calling the AFL for what they are. Arrogant Bully boys that are far too used to every media and government organisation falling over itself to roll out the red carpet. Bravo Masters for bringing these issues into the light.

No more boys.

Piss off.

ali

Bench
Buy your world cup tickets up people. That will show the AFL tossers up!

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I think the AFL were probably trying to target the TV audience as it will have an effect on our ratings in the southern states.

bobmar28

Bench
They are arrogant and audacious and will try anything. Mostly they fail but they keep on trying, let them waste their money.

Brutus

Referee
Buy your world cup tickets up people. That will show the AFL tossers up!

Good email just read out on the BSB mate. Well done.

These pricks do not want to simply 'co-exist'.

The best thing we can do is get out and support International RL during the World Cup like never before.

I for one can't wait for the World Cup.

For those arseholes to think that hybrid rubbish will hold any sort of interest in Sydney is completely delusional. They are out to stir the pot.

Digga Hole

Juniors
What a paranoid piece of crap that article is. Does Roy write anything that doesn't involve the AFL? A game two days before, that fits in with the schedule of the tour, BFD :crazy:

ucantseeme

Juniors
If the nazi's couldn't destroy RL during WW2, the RU couldn't destroy RL since 1908, what chance do these AFL stooges think they have.

I truly hope the RLWC 2008 is a watershed moment in RL history which thrust the game into the stratosphere.

The Preacher

First Grade
He's a f**king grub, Demetriou. That's from the f**king gutter, that ploy. I'll be at the RLWC for f**king sure now. Every game I can get to, I don't give a rat's arse whose playing.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Shame they ignored Perth for a WC game overwise that wouldn't have been an option for them either. Annoying thing is the BS hybrid game will probably draw a bigger crowd than 75% of the WC games.

Misty Bee

First Grade
So what if it does?

I though the timing and promotion of fairy League's Vics v F**wits interstate game - on top of the centenary test, was in a similar vein.

rumours have it that they will play their GF a day before ours -bastards.

Just goes to show that AFL must feel under the pump big time :lol:

BTW, the ARL are doing a wonderful job with the representative program this year. Yes, pity thre's no game in Perth, but that aside, it's making every post a winner so far. :clap::clap:

Pathetic, during the Union WC, Rugby League didn't say anything other than, good luck Wallabies, and we all know the history between those two codes, the AFL though.

My god, what a bunch of arseholes, I hope they continue to do stuff like this, it will only make more people in these states go against their code more, and infact it could actually help RL get more fans off their butts and going to games to help their club and code and also to give the AFL a big massive F U at the same time.

good post.

i remember gallop wished the wallabies well in the tournament and asked RL fans to do the same.

do any of those f**kers respect the kangaroos.

f**k em