What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

After Bunniesman, Cronk, Smith, JT, Farah and Benji go.....

Desert Qlder

First Grade
It is hard to fault the progression of Matt Srama.

In difficult circumstances he's done everything asked of him and more. Shows speed, cool head, lovely hands, is a knuckle of hardness and makes nice choices. All the qualities you could want in a Hooker. He also seems the type that will respond to having responsibility thrust upon him, the kind of player who can come up with a winning play when the team needs it.

Gold Coast are on a couple of winners with him and Sezer.

Ladmate

Bench
Whats interesting is that all players in the title play on 3 teams combined. It shows what an advantage they have in the competition.

On topic, I say Daly Cherry-Evans. I don't think he will be on a JT/Benji level, but he will be a star.

Noa

First Grade
When I think playmaker I think organiser......calling the shots / moves / plays

The 4 above names are great individual players.

I realise what you were hinting at imo opinion though theres a clear difference bewteen an organiser and a playmaker. Though in saying that the good FB's organise the defensive structure as well as the offensive structure wide of the ruck

In attack those players I mentioned, especailly Barba, Inglis and Hayne are responsible for the majority of there teams plays, whether scoring themselves or setting up for others. Just because Sutton and Roberts wear a 6 doesnt make them more a playmaker for their teams then Inglis or Hayne.

perverse

Referee
It is hard to fault the progression of Matt Srama.

In difficult circumstances he's done everything asked of him and more. Shows speed, cool head, lovely hands, is a knuckle of hardness and makes nice choices. All the qualities you could want in a Hooker. He also seems the type that will respond to having responsibility thrust upon him, the kind of player who can come up with a winning play when the team needs it.

Gold Coast are on a couple of winners with him and Sezer.
agreed. agree with most of the names in this thread. the future is very bright as far as i can see.

Whats interesting is that all players in the title play on 3 teams combined. It shows what an advantage they have in the competition.

On topic, I say Daly Cherry-Evans. I don't think he will be on a JT/Benji level, but he will be a star.

Yet only three premierships between them which happened 7 and 8 years ago.

applesauce

Bench
Would Farah have been in this thread title one month ago?

This point makes this thread void.

Players will step up, get given an opportunity, find form and go on with it.

Can't predict what will happen this year, next year, 5yrs etc etc. Which is why the game is so great. :cool:

Perth Red

Post Whore
The stars of 2017 are playing SG Ball etc now. Too early to say who will be a superstar but there is plenty of talent running around in the under 18's.

typicalfan

Coach
We are in much better shape now then we were 10 years ago regarding halves. Back then we had guys like Chris Flannery playing in the halves for QLD and we were losing talent in those positions.

Cherry Evans and Foran have already guided their side to a premiership and if they stick together will be the gun halves combo of the competition for a while to come.

Shaun Johnson goes without saying as well. Todd Carney will be around when those guys move on as well discipline permitting. I like the look of Rory Kostjaysn as well. He looks a Cronk mk II

Almost every team has some gun half in the side or close to making the side. We only need a small amount of those to kick on. As for hookers Cameron King has big wraps from the Dragons and Jamie Buhrer has already tasted origin albeit prematurely the talent is obviously there.

Mr Fourex

Bench
I realise what you were hinting at imo opinion though theres a clear difference bewteen an organiser and a playmaker. Though in saying that the good FB's organise the defensive structure as well as the offensive structure wide of the ruck

In attack those players I mentioned, especailly Barba, Inglis and Hayne are responsible for the majority of there teams plays, whether scoring themselves or setting up for others. Just because Sutton and Roberts wear a 6 doesnt make them more a playmaker for their teams then Inglis or Hayne.

I'll concede Hayne.

Inglis's "plays" however are more born on the back of his own individual brilliance rather than any organising he does in the attack.

Lambretta

First Grade
It seems all my suggestions have already been taken up

Sironen, DCE, Corey Norman, Adam Reynolds, Shaun Johnson, Kieran Foran, Barba etc are all exceptionally talented players and will step up when the more experienced players retire.

Still, it is worthy noting that Greg Inglis, Cameron Smith, Darren Lockyer and Billy Slater are all "one in a generation players" that have all been playing at exactly the same time. I doubt even with the talent coming through that we'll see such amazing talent in the same team at the same time again.

Loudstrat

Coach
So you mention Sandow, but don't mention this season's Rookie of the year who absolutely dominated him on Saturday night? Bit bizarre I think.
Unless your alleged "wonderkid" is 23, then he's irrelevant in this thread you stupid gimp. I specifically mentioned 23-27. DCE is getting there, but the names in that age group dont include your potential one hit wonder/Scott Cram/Tim Smith.

This point makes this thread void.
Your stupidity makes you void. Farah has been playing great, and apart from Smith -it's been daylight to his closest rival (which I believe to be Isaac Luke).

Just because you only discovered Farah a couple of Wednesdays ago doesnt mean we are all geniuss.

Players will step up, get given an opportunity, find form and go on with it.
Still waiting for NSW players to step up into the void left by Freddy and Joey. Some fleetingly thought Brett Finch, before they necked themselves.

MacDougall

First Grade
In that age group nobody will reach the level of Smith or Thurston.

But there are players running around in Ball and Matthews that will be stars by 2017 and there are guys like Jacob Miller, Curtis Sironen, Luke Kelly, Michael Morgan, Sam Williams, Harry Seijka, Aiden Sezer, Tyrone Roberts, Adam Reynolds that are just starting in NRL and one of them will rise.

In NYC there are guys like Mitch Cornish, Anthony Milford, Manaia Rudolph and Josh Drinkwater who could be anything.

But I think the biggest young star in the game in 2017 will be a guy named Mitchell Moses.

Last edited: