What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

After Bunniesman, Cronk, Smith, JT, Farah and Benji go.....

Loudstrat

Coach
....who will be the key playmakers in our comp? Im thinking about the up and comers who will fill the main rep roles. Their absence may be our reality in 4-5 years, because they will be in their early thirties by then.

To me, it's easy to throw in names like Srama, DCE and Johnson, but their current NRL experience is limited, and there is no strong evidence that they will be key players in the future. 5 seasons ago, Smith and Thurston were test regulars who had captained sides in a GF, Benji was the skipper in waiting for the Kiwis, while he and Farah hd the 05 premiership victory behind them. Cronk also skippered a GF side.

There seems to be a bit of a generation gap. To fill that gap, names like Wallace, Pearce and Foran are easy, but only the latter has a real chance at stepping up to their level. Can we then assume the way is open for someone like Josh Reynolds, Luke Walsh, or even Chris Sandow if he gets off his arse and plays footy the way he is capable of?

To me it looks like the best players in the 23-26 age bracket are either forwards or outside backs, and there isnt a hooker, half or pivot in that age group with anywhere near the talent of players like Inglis or Hayne.

Who is most likely to step up to the key playmaker roles in the Kiwi and Origin sides for 2016-17? Or will we be saddled with old farts?

Last edited:

Special K

Coach
In 2017 Carney will only be 31, Inglis 30.. Folau will probably be back in the game and would be on 28. Plenty of them will still be around

Loudstrat

Coach
If Inglis and Folau are in two of the 6, 7, and 9 QLD jumpers in the same game, I'll know there has been a massive exodus of players to Union.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
It may seem like a gap right now, but with vacancies will come opportunities.

The players who become great often grab chances when they come and make the position their own. Prior to it happening pundits may never have called it. For instance not too many could have predicted Thurston's meteoric rise when he joined North Queensland. My point here is that it may not be possible to predict just who will assume these positions in our game.

Some players don't come through the grades with all the wraps, make all the rep teams or dominate the Junior grades. They learn how to become champions through hard work and determination. Cronk in this instance comes to mind.

Never doubt our games ability to produce great players in key positions.

Bretto

Bench
Corey Norman is one who springs to mind straight away, like Fourex said. He's only 21 years old in his first year of first grade, replacing Darren Lockyer. He's 6"3, and is already 96kgs - give him 4 or 5 years to properly fill out and develop his game and he's going to be scary good. DCE too, when he fills out a bit more, will be a fantastic talent. I think those 2 will be the QLD halves when Cronk/JT call it quits.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Here ya go Curtis the tiger, makes 5/8 his own, he stays quick, he grows to 200cm 112kgs, he keeps the 30 metre sprial pass, both sides, the short ball too, the short and long kick.

Just freakin lethal.

Then throw in the instinct with the brother.

Also make no mistake f**king Qlders will produce to.

Big Sam

First Grade
There seems to be a bit of a generation gap. To fill that gap, names like Wallace, Pearce and Foran are easy, but only the latter has a real chance at stepping up to their level. Can we then assume the way is open for someone like Josh Reynolds, Luke Walsh, or even Chris Sandow if he gets off his arse and plays footy the way he is capable of?

So you mention Sandow, but don't mention this season's Rookie of the year who absolutely dominated him on Saturday night? Bit bizarre I think.

FTR I don't think it's unrealistic to foresee a J.Reynolds/A.Reynolds NSW halves combo in 3-4 years' time.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Benji has a young brother or two in lower grades.

Curtis Sironen's younger brother looks to have more natural ability in the halves than Curtis does.

Some players are close to ready but not yet given much of a chance. Souths have a good young half in their ranks (can't remember his name), Chad Townsend, Luke Kelly, Dane Chisholm, Pita Godinet are all good players who will improve with time very quickly.

As for hookers, Politoni looks quality, Srama will only get better, Kostjasyn is plying his trade right now.

I don't think there's much of an issue, besides, forwards are becoming more ball-players nowadays, so there'll be less requirement for halves and hookers to do everything (they'll still be needed).

aqua_duck

Coach
DCE, Foran and Johnson are the obvious ones.
I still think Pearce can further develop, he's still quite young and has enough good attributes about him. Widdop will be a star in few years, really like the look of him, same with Curtis Siro, and watch out for Matt McGahan from the storm.
In terms of hookers, I'm a big fan of Jake Friend, McCullough is decent as well, also a big fan of Cam King.

Iafeta

Referee
Johnson. No fears in the world about that. Took the Warriors to a grand final last year, played exceptionally to try and bring them back in that grand final, played test football, and has been very very good again for a disjointed Warriors team this year. Some of the things he pulls off is absolutely breathtaking, and his organisation the past few weeks has been brilliant, trapping teams in goal and forcing them to bring the ball out of their own corners. Wouldn't trade him for another young half in the game.