What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

After the Game on Sunday

Parra Guru

Coach
Considering we've had no post match functions this year, I thought a farewell was the least they could do.

Sooo different to only a few years ago.

bartman

Immortal
One thing that's come apparent to me all the way over here, is how important it is to not take your fans for granted. Living somewhere that league is not the number one sport (maybe people in Melbourne experience this as well?), the clubs go to great lengths to be involved in their local community and develop and maintain their support base. This is so that they can improve their finances (through attendance, merchandise and fundraising - no leagues clubs here, so no pokie machines/club grants) but also to raise their profile in the community against competing sports and other pastimes.

So they go the extra mile in both Super League and the divisions below on match day and other functions, because they know if they don't they might lose some casual fans, or a disappointed family, and here they need to hang onto every person they can get. On much less of a budget than a club like Parramatta has at it's disposal (except for the five biggest Superleague sides), all clubs here seem to make the players interaction with fans a vital priority.

Stagger eel

Staff member
having sat back and thought about it I've come to the conclusion that the decision not to have players out there after the games was downright disgusting when you consider that no matter how the seasoned panned out in years gone by we always had a bit of a farewell tribute to the players leaving and a rookie of the year presentation..why should this year be any different?? especially with a tonne of players departing, it just would of been fitting.

eeladdick

Juniors
maybe they will organise a special fan day so we can all turn up,
i'm not holding my breath though..............

Stagger eel

Staff member
eeladdick said:
maybe they will organise a special fan day so we can all turn up,
i'm not holding my breath though..............

yeah! March next year...and even that will probably be in doubt.

fish eel

Immortal
Suitman said:
It all comes down to management.

I can understand that the players were really down about the result, and all they wanted to do was get into the dressing room.
So be it.
Someone in the organisation should have taken the reigns, and told them to get their sorry arses back onto the field. There should also have been some recognition to the players that are leaving the club.
Very poor form indeed.

Just on that response - it's more than you would have got from DK.

Suity

I was away at the time, so excuse my ignorance, but didn't Andrew Johns get slated because he didnt want to be part of an on field presentation after a heavy loss at Parramatta Stadium?

Fundamentaly, what's the difference?

eelz47

Coach
i like that responce, at least it was not just one line.

also i think its is same basket as joey, just not as bad(i dislike him and newcastle). they should of done it

ute, shame on you and *blows rasberries*;-), it really would get to the young kids more so than us. they are their heros!

fish eel

Immortal
I remember the good old days...sunday arvo, win lose or draw post match replay and meet and greet at the leaguesie.

Nowdays, they have to warm down and have a sook if they lose.

Maybe that's why we were crap for so long, to much interaction witht he fans, not enough warm downs!

eelz47

Coach
there needs to be a comprmise, we had a early fan day, then 3 in a week.

it would really benifit the kiddies

Hellsy

Immortal
I remember the old days too Fish! They were great! Up in the auditorium of the Leagusie.

Still many clubs that are doing better than us still have fans stuff on a regular basis, and it doesn't affect them!

St George - Have heaps of Red V events
Roosters - (Even though they are not doing well this year) they have an aftermatch function after every home game even in the years they won or made the GF
Canberra - Have an aftermatch function after every home game, and did apparently a great tru=ibute to their leaving players after last weekends final home game (and they LOST that game too)
Melbourne - Do a lap of honour and meet and great their fansbefore leaving the field whether it be a home or away game! plus last weekend they had the respect to stay on the field to congratulate Canberra's leaving players

These are just the clubs I know about, there may be other clubs out there like Parra that do very little as well, but I think Parra should step up and be like one of the above mentioned teams

Suitman

Post Whore
Obviously the club doesn't think it is important to treat the fans with some respect and acknowlegement.

Suity

Stagger eel

Staff member
what do you reckon MITS...shall we have field day with this at the AGM???

I think we should, just quietly.

Stagger eel

Staff member
MarkInTheStands said:
I am writing my speach now, and I will speak with a member of the board one more time about this before the AGM.

if it's the same member of the board..I can tell you that he was dissapointed and a little confused as to why we didn't have a fitting farewell and a ROTY presentation..he actually put it down to the CEO's decision. Nikki was there with me when he told us.

Suitman

Post Whore
MarkInTheStands said:
I am writing my speach now, and I will speak with a member of the board one more time about this before the AGM.

Why do that?

I know it is being polite to warn them beforehand, but why not just hit them with it on AGM night, so they won't have any pre-prepared dribble ready to reply with?

Suity

Suitman said:
Why do that?

I know it is being polite to warn them beforehand, but why not just hit them with it on AGM night, so they won't have any pre-prepared dribble ready to reply with?

Suity

Well I am more also hitting them up for information and reasons. To have a counter argument already though up. So I am doing that just a step ahead of the first speech.

eelavation said:
if it's the same member of the board..I can tell you that he was disappointed and a little confused as to why we didn't have a fitting farewell and a ROTY presentation..he actually put it down to the CEO's decision. Nikki was there with me when he told us.

Aye, I heard that. I hope the CEO is available for a brief discussion as well this weekend.