What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Akuila Uate

roopy

Referee
The Camden Leisure Pirate said:
Every missed tackle by Uate = a designated driver stint for Wes.
I think wes is banned from driving till they invent cars that drive themselves.
I think we signed his brother as a winger/fullback/chaffeur

Billythekid

First Grade
His still young. Not everyone is going to be a superstar at his age. I think nowadays people are expecting too much from these young players. Yeah some like Inglis can play for Australia at his age doesn't mean they all have to.

I reckon in a few years Uate is gonna be a player other teams really have to look out for (if he isn't already). Defense is something that can be taught, his speed and agility can not.

Yosh

Coach
Yeah agreed defense can be learnt through experience and there is no substitute for speed in league... Cant wait till we see him run week in week out will be exciting to see!!!

Spike

First Grade
I agree, defence and how to read opposition attacks and making the right decisions in defence is something that can taught, however it can take years and years of playing the game to get to the point where you can read defence to a degree to be of a first grade standard.

Given that Uate has only played the game for a short period of time, I don't know whether the Knights are going to be prepared to stand by him for years to come until he is capable of reading the defence on a consistant basis to be considered for first grade. Although the Knights would have been aware of his skills and lack of in certain areas when they initiallyt signed him, they may have thought he would have picked up his game by now.

I hope I'm wrong about him and he kills it this year. I'll be the first to present my plate for a slice of humble pie if he does.

perverse

Referee
Spike said:
I agree, defence and how to read opposition attacks and making the right decisions in defence is something that can taught, however it can take years and years of playing the game to get to the point where you can read defence to a degree to be of a first grade standard.

Given that Uate has only played the game for a short period of time, I don't know whether the Knights are going to be prepared to stand by him for years to come until he is capable of reading the defence on a consistant basis to be considered for first grade. Although the Knights would have been aware of his skills and lack of in certain areas when they initiallyt signed him, they may have thought he would have picked up his game by now.

I hope I'm wrong about him and he kills it this year. I'll be the first to present my plate for a slice of humble pie if he does.
i wouldn't be worried about the knights standing by him, im far more worried about another team snapping him out from under us and turning him into a world beater.

If Israel goes to the bulldogs, I am gonna be a very nervous man. I will bet for sure that Bellamy has Aku on his radar. Aku is gonna be a superstar. I will stand by that. Under Bellamy he would be a deadset try merchant.

Yosh

Coach
I have a feeling he is going to be with us for a very long time... I really miss Tahu these days seeing all the press about him playing for the Tahs... I wouldnt mind watching some Union games this season, to watch Tahu and Lote combine would be awesome to watch!!!

roopy

Referee
Yosh said:
to watch Tahu and Lote combine would be awesome to watch!!!
Sounds great in theory.
In practice those guys will get about 3 runs each per game, and mostly when they have no where to go.

Johns Magic

Referee
roopy said:
Sounds great in theory.
In practice those guys will get about 3 runs each per game, and mostly when they have no where to go.

There's far more space in union than league

roopy

Referee
Johns Magic said:
There's far more space in union than league
is it the 0 metre rule in defence or the extra two defenders that gives them all this extra room?

Big Mick

Referee
roopy said:
is it the 0 metre rule in defence or the extra two defenders that gives them all this extra room?

Well as a matter of fact if you watch the game closely.

Not all 15 guys are in the line.

There are a good 4-5 guys in a ruck/maul situations every time, and fullback...which leaves only 10 guys in a line spread across the entire backline, therefore there are in fact 2 less defenders.

Also, the union guys play with a lot more depth in their attack of phase play.

So while there is not HEAPS of extra room, there is extra room to move with regards to quickness of feet and space between defenders.

roopy

Referee
Big Mick © said:
Well as a matter of fact if you watch the game closely.

Not all 15 guys are in the line.

There are a good 4-5 guys in a ruck/maul situations every time, and fullback...which leaves only 10 guys in a line spread across the entire backline, therefore there are in fact 2 less defenders.

Also, the union guys play with a lot more depth in their attack of phase play.

So while there is not HEAPS of extra room, there is extra room to move with regards to quickness of feet and space between defenders.
bullsh*t.
The only time the outside backs in union get a serious run is when one side is totally outclassing another.
In a top level game of union the wingers could spread out a blankett and have a picnic for all the work they have to do in attack.

Johns Magic

Referee
League_God said:
hes got you there jm

No he doesn't.

As BM explained, there are at least 4-5 players on each side commited to the ruck. Then there's the pillar and post defenders on either side of the ruck who are their for the pick-and-drives.

The backline in union has much more depth in attack.

On top of this, the referee doesn't pause the game and wait for the defence to re-align after every tackle.

Did you watch the Waratahs game on the weekend roopy?

Tahu made 3 tackles and missed 2, where he got completely stepped. He found it much easier defending in league where he could have two of his team-mates come in and help him in every tackle.

On your last line, we were never debating how much involvement union wingers have compared to league wingers. we were debating the space which they have.

macavity

Referee
Johns Magic said:
Tahu made 3 tackles and missed 2, where he got completely stepped. He found it much easier defending in league where he could have two of his team-mates come in and help him in every tackle.

when was the last league game he had to make the grand total of 5 decisions in defence?

there might well be "more space" in onion, but they rarely use it - why would that be? if there was so much usable space the default play would be to the edges, rather than another charge up by another fat bloke. the payoff of all that space would outweigh the risk of losing the ball. but it doesn't. it isn't usable space.

Johns Magic

Referee
macavity said:
when was the last league game he had to make the grand total of 5 decisions in defence?

I'm fully aware of the lack of involvement wingers in union have. I'm not disputing that. However I will say that the top wingers in union go looking for the ball in the middle of the field and can get heavily involved in attack.

there might well be "more space" in onion, but they rarely use it - why would that be? if there was so much usable space the default play would be to the edges, rather than another charge up by another fat bloke. the payoff of all that space would outweigh the risk of losing the ball. but it doesn't. it isn't usable space.

The space is usable if the forwards have a roll-on and has the opposition back-tracking and having to commit more and more players to the breakdown.

If a team's pack is going backwards with the ball then the backline's space isn't usable.

It's no secret that in union the match is won or lost in the forwards in the vast majority of cases.

If you want to see a team with a good pack and a backline that can take advantage of the space they provide, watch the Crusaders or Blues this weekend. Of course I don't actually expect anyone to do this...

roopy

Referee
Johns Magic said:
Did you watch the Waratahs game on the weekend roopy?

I was actually watching a much higher standard of footy - the HM and SGB games in Raymond Terrace.

Can i just say that your argument that Union wingers have more room to move but their team just decides to not give them a run should get you a spot on your school debating team - the logic is breathtaking.

Johns Magic

Referee
roopy said:
I was actually watching a much higher standard of footy - the HM and SGB games in Raymond Terrace.

So you didn't see one of league's best outside backs struggling in defence against a fringe Super 14 player

Can i just say that your argument that Union wingers have more room to move but their team just decides to not give them a run should get you a spot on your school debating team - the logic is breathtaking.

You don't seem to understand anything about rucks in union.

If the ball was spread to the far wing every phase, the forwards wouldn't have time to get to the breakdown, and hence the winger would be isolated and lose the ball.

Unlike in league, possession is hotly contested in union. If play was paused every time someone got tackled to make sure the attacking team kept the ball, the wingers would see the ball far more.

roopy

Referee
Johns Magic said:
So you didn't see one of league's best outside backs struggling in defence against a fringe Super 14 player

You don't seem to understand anything about rucks in union.

If the ball was spread to the far wing every phase, the forwards wouldn't have time to get to the breakdown, and hence the winger would be isolated and lose the ball.

Unlike in league, possession is hotly contested in union. If play was paused every time someone got tackled to make sure the attacking team kept the ball, the wingers would see the ball far more.
Thanks for clearing that up, but i don't really need to know exactly why the attacking winger in union died with David Campese - just knowing that the penalty kick is the main attacking option is enough for me thanks.

As to Tahu 'struggling' in defence - I love the way union fans go into throws of orgasmic delite every time a league convert misses a tackle - i reckon it must be the highlight of the game for most. Getting over 100 years of being called soft defenders must be very hard for you all.

Johns Magic

Referee
roopy said:
Thanks for clearing that up, but i don't really need to know exactly why the attacking winger in union died with David Campese - just knowing that the penalty kick is the main attacking option is enough for me thanks.

So you don't actually understand what you're talking about.

Thanks for clearing that up.

As to Tahu 'struggling' in defence - I love the way union fans go into throws of orgasmic delite every time a league convert misses a tackle - i reckon it must be the highlight of the game for most. Getting over 100 years of being called soft defenders must be very hard for you all.

"Throws of orgasmic delite"? Hardly.

I want Tahu to succeed more than anyone else.

However even I had to admit Tahu looked lost at sea last week.

Latest posts