What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johns Magic

Referee
If he does get suspended then the week where he is "stood down" should count as part of his suspension.

Which is what I said and is surely what will happen, and is the logical way to go about it.

Its another move by the nrl to pander to mothers. Simple.

A one-week suspension for an illegal tackle that has broken a guy's neck and put him in an induced come is a move to pander to mothers?

I suggest you take a look at the bigger picture here. McLean serving a week of his inevitable suspension before he can defend himself from the rest of it is not a big deal when complex medical details are still to come and it's still a raw subject.

LESStar58

Referee
You need to have a good look at yourself, do you believe he will be having celebratory schooners.

Im sure Jordan will make an effort to see Alex when he is well enough but i reckon it might do Storm good to put the kid in front of the camera and talk about it.

LESStar58

Referee
Which is what I said and is surely what will happen, and is the logical way to go about it.

A one-week suspension for an illegal tackle that has broken a guy's neck and put him in an induced come is a move to pander to mothers?

I suggest you take a look at the bigger picture here. McLean serving a week of his inevitable suspension before he can defend himself from the rest of it is not a big deal when complex medical details are still to come and it's still a raw subject.

Innocent til proven guilty, right? If its good enough for criminals its good enough for footy players.

Where is the due process in what the NRL have done by standing him down?

georgesnmith

Juniors
havent seen the tackle

however hope the ARLC doesnt over react due to the media and give the guy a suspension that isnt warranted purely because of the injuries suffered

unless it wasnt intentional it should be graded as careless

magpie4ever

First Grade
Im sure Jordan will make an effort to see Alex when he is well enough but i reckon it might do Storm good to put the kid in front of the camera and talk about it.

Look I'm no storm supporter, but this young man might not be up to it. He probably needs professional support.

LESStar58

Referee
That's because the accident would be your fault if you were speeding dickhead and would be charged and punished appropiatly.

Yet you dont expect family members, friends etc to stand by you?

Isnt that a trait of this great country of ours to say; mate, youre a dick. You know it, i know it but youre still my friend.

lockyno1

Post Whore

Well that would be the least that I expected, especially from a great club with a good culture in Melbourne. Get Jordan to appologise!

Justafan

Juniors
The outcome of this tackle and the resulting injury clearly shows that it's time to draw a line in the sand in relation to lifting tackles. Maybe the NRL's reaction to such tackles in the past has been a little grey when it should have been black and white.

In my opinion, it's just been pure luck that an injury such as this has not occurred in the past considering that I have seen dozens that looked worse than the McKinnon tackle.

But what where does the NRL start? Does it make an example of the tackler? Does it now say that going forward all lifting tackles will be dealt with severely?

The answer is not nearly as black and white as we may imagine.

ek999

First Grade

mozza91

Coach
I feel sorry for McLean to be honest. There was no malice from, there was 2 other blokes who contributed aswell.
Smith on the other has lost all respect that I've had for him. He should apologise for how he acted, such a selfish, disrespectful merkin who's used to having everything go his way. We don't need a person like him captaining Australia.

Johns Magic

Referee
Innocent til proven guilty, right? If its good enough for criminals its good enough for footy players.

I'm no lawyer but I imagine if a criminal murders someone right in front of the cops they don't get to carry on living their life in freedom until the court cases are all over.

The NRL has obviously decided McLean is guilty and that the sentence will be at least a week and that nothing McLean says will change that, which I don't think is unreasonable.

LESStar58

Referee
It is called being a human being and having values! I mean FMD you do something wrong, you man up and appologise!

Im sure his apology is forthcoming. Meanwhile the rest of the world is still waiting for an apology from whoever made your sorry arsem

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
Exactly, if there was no injury would there still be this outcry and media focus?

This...it happened a few times in the game (and other games) and there wasn't any reaction. Twice to Ben Hampton in the same game...did Ben have to get seriously injured to get some sort of action (or reaction from some of the idiots on here?)? When play resumed and Storm got their first set the same happened to Harris. Must be alright for the old guys to do it (Mason et al).
Terrible consequences from an illegal tackle yes, but in his defense McLean is not looking at what the other two defenders are doing, there's no 'driving' action from him, and if McKinnon hadn't tucked his head in this horrible thing would have been different - instinct, tired decision-making or disorientation, whatever the reason I'm sure he would've opted for the body into the ground if he could do it over again. Split second reaction and the guys future is in doubt. Feel for him. Yes, an illegal tackle but McLean's actions are from inexperience - he's had what? 3 or 4 games of NRL? What's all the others excuses? And for whoever said its about "potential' injury, surely that means they should be all cited? Regardless, awful thing to happen and hope he recovers well.
McLean's a nice kid & he'll be feeling it...and he doesn't have to make a 'public' apology to make you all feel better - for all you know he may have spoken directly to the man (he's not SBW) so less judging and more compassion all round is in order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts