What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johns Magic

Referee
I feel sorry for McLean to be honest. There was no malice from, there was 2 other blokes who contributed aswell.
Smith on the other has lost all respect that I've had for him. He should apologise for how he acted, such a selfish, disrespectful merkin who's used to having everything go his way. We don't need a person like him captaining Australia.

Agreed.

I have nothing against McLean(though I'm sure he'll think twice about lifting between the legs next time which I've never liked).

But Smith really made a dick of himself I think. Classless, especially since I don't know what he was trying to achieve? Did he think a penalty was undeserved and going to be overturned?

LESStar58

Referee
Yeah, that's right. Don't apologise for putting a man in thehospital, with the possibility of not walking again.

What? We expect him to go rushing to his bedside with a mea culpa straight away while the Issue is still a very bloody band aid and all the talk Is about respecting Alex's privacy to say nothing of the fact that Mclean had been involved in an incident where he's hurt someone and would need to come to terms with his own actions?

BranVan3000

Coach
Agreed.

I have nothing against McLean(though I'm sure he'll think twice about lifting between the legs next time which I've never liked).

But Smith really made a dick of himself I think. Classless, especially since I don't know what he was trying to achieve? Did he think a penalty was undeserved and going to be overturned?
He knew exactly what he was trying to achieve, to set an argument for his team mate that commentators and spectators would follow through with. Now we have a hundred more idiots on here trying to argue that he tucked his head in

some11

Referee
Just watched the footage then, maybe Alex should have bit the dirt with his face.

Probably a natural instinct to try to roll over.

Swarzey

Bench
Update from the club:

On Monday night scan results for Alex McKinnon confirmed a dislocation at C4 and C5.

McKinnon had emergency surgery early on Tuesday morning to stabilise his neck, which consisted of a disc removal at C4 and C5 and anterior fusion.

Alex had additional scans on Tuesday afternoon, which confirmed a devastating spinal injury.

Alex remains in hospital in intensive care and may require further surgery to stabilise his spine.

He has movement in his right arm and the uncertainty remains in regeneration, with a variable prognosis.

The doctors explained regeneration and recovery could be up to two years.

Family and Club officials remain with Alex in hospital. The Club requests Alex and his families privacy is respected at this time.

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2014/03/24/injury_update_alex_mckinnon.html

Dragons01

First Grade
I think the NRL has done the right thing. Take McLean out of the situation for this week. Let him get the support he needs without having to face abusive opposition supporters at the game this weekend. The main concern should be for Alex and by taking McLean out of the picture the NRL can make sure they focus on him for now.

I don't understand people saying it was partly McKinnon's fault because he tucked his head in, he would not have had to tuck his head in if he was not put in that position to begin with.

LESStar58

Referee
This...it happened a few times in the game (and other games) and there wasn't any reaction. Twice to Ben Hampton in the same game...did Ben have to get seriously injured to get some sort of action (or reaction from some of the idiots on here?)? When play resumed and Storm got their first set the same happened to Harris. Must be alright for the old guys to do it (Mason et al).
Terrible consequences from an illegal tackle yes, but in his defense McLean is not looking at what the other two defenders are doing, there's no 'driving' action from him, and if McKinnon hadn't tucked his head in this horrible thing would have been different - instinct, tired decision-making or disorientation, whatever the reason I'm sure he would've opted for the body into the ground if he could do it over again. Split second reaction and the guys future is in doubt. Feel for him. Yes, an illegal tackle but McLean's actions are from inexperience - he's had what? 3 or 4 games of NRL? What's all the others excuses? And for whoever said its about "potential' injury, surely that means they should be all cited? Regardless, awful thing to happen and hope he recovers well.
McLean's a nice kid & he'll be feeling it...and he doesn't have to make a 'public' apology to make you all feel better - for all you know he may have spoken directly to the man (he's not SBW) so less judging and more compassion all round is in order.

No no no.... you see EVERYBODY in here comes clean and apologises in the direct aftrmath of doing something wrong (especially lockyno1). No time to reflect on the magnitude of your mistake. We're all good and proper citizens here at LU.

But seriously; good post.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Innocent til proven guilty, right? If its good enough for criminals its good enough for footy players.

Where is the due process in what the NRL have done by standing him down?

You do realise that people charged with crimes are often held in gaol until their trial if the crime and evidence is serious enough

Given McLeans actions were broadcast on live, national television, I think the NRL is well within their rights here

LESStar58

Referee
Use the media, do a statement. It is in the Interest, and frankly if he cared about Alex he would.

Do yourself a favor; draft an apology via a media release and send it to the Storm media deparment so you can get your apology and feel better about the whole thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.