What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

_Johnsy

Referee
I realise this is probably a screen shot from a video, it is fairly unclear. I take it that is young McLean's left hand between Alex's legs. I think in later photos, posters were concerned about his right hand as creating the lifting motion.

I think this is better to leave it to the judiciary.

No, it's clear. Even blind Freddy can see his arm between the legs.

You've been carrying on like a condescending twat, telling people they know nothing about the game because they held a different opinion to you. You are now proven wrong & it changes to best leave it to the judiciary. No-one will think any worse of you if you admit you were wrong by stating numerous times McLean did not lift McKinnon.

Last edited:

magpie4ever

First Grade
No, it's clear. Even blind Freddy can see his arm between the legs.

You've been carrying on like a condescending twat, telling people they know nothing about the game because they held a different opinion to you. You are now proven wrong & it changes to best leave it to the judiciary. No-one will think any worse of you if you admit you were wrong by stating numerous times McLean did not lift McKinnon.

Mate, you are one of the twats on here.

One still photo proves zero, but again you want to jump on the bandwagon as if there is a winner and loser from this situation. Let me assure you there are no winners.

As said they (the judiciary) will want to look at the video from every possible angle and listen to experts. I believe it will be found to be a tragic accident.

_Johnsy

Referee
Is it possible for someone more IT savy than me to post a photo of the tackle where McLean has his hands between Alex's legs. From memory he had his hands around or on his legs not between, but I willing to be wrong.

20140330_123016_zpscf27c229.jpg

20140401_170447_zpsceat3qgd.jpg

I realise this is probably a screen shot from a video, it is fairly unclear. I take it that is young McLean's left hand between Alex's legs. I think in later photos, posters were concerned about his right hand as creating the lifting motion.

I think this is better to leave it to the judiciary.

You're either confused or lying. Or editing after you realised you're wrong.

Last edited:

magpie4ever

First Grade
Yeah, I could not find the original photo to check, therefore I decide to edit it. Yes, it was McLean's left hand in the original photo.

Look, I know you are probably a Newcastle supporter and hurting, but attempting to obtain revenge by way of a scarifice will not help.

perverse

Referee
Johnsy isn't a Newcastle supporter, he's just making sense. It's a lifting tackle and went past the horizontal. Textbook... hand between the legs, the works. You're either trolling or need a new set of eyes.

There was just no need to lift him whatsoever, either. I assume they do it to try and get the player onto their backs and slow the play the ball. It needs to end immediately and abruptly.

_Johnsy

Referee
Yeah, I could not find the original photo to check, therefore I decide to edit it. Yes, it was McLean's left hand in the original photo.

Look, I know you are probably a Newcastle supporter and hurting, but attempting to obtain revenge by way of a sacarifice will not help.

I'm not a Newcastle supporter, nor am I looking for revenge by way of a sacrifice. IMO a 2-4 week suspension is sufficient, but depending on his history he may get less than that & I am fine with that.

What I want is for the tackler/s be held accountable for their actions. A young mans life is wrecked because of what occurred. Yes McLeans life will also be affected, but that's life. If no-one took responsibility for their actions regardless of intent, there would be minimal lessons learned.

I took exception to you telling people they had no idea about the game because they believed McLeans actions went a long way to making this injury occur. Simple biomechanics show this.

People saying it was a complete accident is bordering on delusion/ignorance. If he is not lifted above the horizontal (perpendicular for BM) by McLean placing his arm/hands between his legs & lifting this terrible incident does not take place.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Johnsy isn't a Newcastle supporter, he's just making sense. It's a lifting tackle and went past the horizontal. Textbook... hand between the legs, the works. You're either trolling or need a new set of eyes.

There was just no need to lift him whatsoever, either. I assume they do it to try and get the player onto their backs and slow the play the ball. It needs to end immediately and abruptly.

Well I didn't know that.

You are a sad, sad creature to suggest that.

Bman26

Juniors
I'm not a Newcastle supporter, nor am I looking for revenge by way of a sacrifice. IMO a 2-4 week suspension is sufficient, but depending on his history he may get less than that & I am fine with that.

What I want is for the tackler/s be held accountable for their actions. A young mans life is wrecked because of what occurred. Yes McLeans life will also be affected, but that's life. If no-one took responsibility for their actions regardless of intent, there would be minimal lessons learned.

I took exception to you telling people they had no idea about the game because they believed McLeans actions went a long way to making this injury occur. Simple biomechanics show this.

People saying it was a complete accident is bordering on delusion/ignorance. If he is not lifted above the horizontal (perpendicular for BM) by McLean placing his arm/hands between his legs & lifting this terrible incident does not take place.

Pretty sure it would be his first appearance at the judiciary, not 100% on this though.

magpie4ever

First Grade

C'mon from a single photo taken from a video. Every legs tackle will have arms and hands around the opposition player.

While I don't wish to raise this again, what is your take on the Alex's folding action (supposedly and I say, supposedly taught by Newcastle as a way to handle a lifting situation)?

Apey

Staff member
don't bother replying to magpie, he is either trolling (how pathetic if so) or is just a complete moron, essentially trying to blame the club for this incident despite continually saying it was a 'terrible accident'

If that is true than Newcastle are up shit creek - that advice is so wrong.

I believe this is wrong, I have been on the end of a few - more spear tackles - and your natural instinct is to arch your back, neck and head in the opposite direction, get your arm (or arms) out to brace for the impact with the ground. By placing your neck against your chest, you are creating a grabble tackle situation but with the immovable ground not a player's arm, chest or shoulder.

If Newcastle were advising players to do this, than any court case or judiciary against Melbourne or their players would and should be thrown out. The Newcastle club is the one at fault, it was absolutely the wrong advice.

But if Newcastle were advising their players to place their head on their chest, they were wrong and, therefore, at fault. I'm no expert at bio-mechanics but that advice was always going to end up with a serious injury.

But if Newcastle where offering advice as stated, Melbourne will win this in the judiciary or, if required, the courts.

Because, it was a deliberate action and caused the effects of the tackle to be magnified by who knows what - I feel devasated for this young man and also for young McLean. The advice was wrong - watch it again - I can't, he withdraws his arm from the brace position and tucks his head into his chest.

ek999

First Grade
C'mon from a single photo taken from a video. Every legs tackle will have arms and hands around the opposition player.

While I don't wish to raise this again, what is your take on the Alex's folding action (supposedly and I say, supposedly taught by Newcastle as a way to handle a lifting situation)?

If McLean didn't make the lifting tackle none of this would have happened. His actions caused a chain of events which has left us where we are now. Prior to McLeans actions everything in the tackle was safe and legal. He changed that

magpie4ever

First Grade
If McLean didn't make the lifting tackle none of this would have happened. His actions caused a chain of events which has left us where we are now. Prior to McLeans actions everything in the tackle was safe and legal. He changed that

That is the way everyone seems to answer the "elephant in the room" question, by refusing to answer it. But it will be looked at and answered in the judiciary.

georgesnmith

Juniors
I'd f**k Erin Molan and their other female reporter from the Footy Show, but that where I draw the line on f**king Channel Nine.

too late shes dating the captain of the brisbane lions

and shes way hotter in real life is erin even if she goes for the raiders

magpie4ever

First Grade
don't bother replying to magpie, he is either trolling (how pathetic if so) or is just a complete moron, essentially trying to blame the club for this incident despite continually saying it was a 'terrible accident'

You are not worthy of a resonse, dipstick.

Status
Not open for further replies.