What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonwest

Juniors
Years back players were taught to drive on impact attempting to put a player on their back in one motion. This involved shoulder contact, arms grapping the leg and leg drive. A simple tackle where the defender did lift the attacker but was in control of how the attacker came to ground.

Now days the first two defenders in contact are taught to hold the player up and wrap up the ball thus shutting down the play and giving extra time for the defensive line to retreat before the third man comes in just before held to drive them to the ground. It is at this point where control over the position of the player can be lost when brought to ground under the weight of the two extra defenders. Even though the third defender has no intention of tipping a player on his head.

The cannonball and tipping tackle like this one can be removed/limited if the referees simply call held earlier when a player is still standing giving the attacking team a quick play the ball. This removes the insentive for defenders to hold attackers up, it forces defenders to try and bring the attacker to ground on initial contact. Defenders will have to resort back to the old classical tackling techniques of before 10 years ago.

MrAnonymous

Bench
C'mon from a single photo taken from a video. Every legs tackle will have arms and hands around the opposition player.

While I don't wish to raise this again, what is your take on the Alex's folding action (supposedly and I say, supposedly taught by Newcastle as a way to handle a lifting situation)?

Newcastles way of handling a lifting situation?

I got taught to tuck my chin into my chest when going for a ride, when I was a young merkin. Newcastle didn't teach him that, you learn that shit when you first start. Have you ever played Rugby League before.:roll:

ek999

First Grade
That is the way everyone seems to answer the "elephant in the room" question, but refusing to answer it. But it will be looked at and answered in the judiciary.

McKinnon's action could have contributed to his injury, we will never know what woul have happened had he done nothing or moved his body in another way. The fact is, and will always remain, McLean's actions and his actions alone, put McKinnon into a dangerous position which made him feel that he had to take evasive action.

Take the analagy of a car is driving towards you on the wrong side of the road and you swerve to miss him and in doing so you hit a tree and paralyse yourself. You could have swerved earlier or braked earlier which could have saved you from serious injury. The fact you didn't do that doesn't change the fact that the guy on the wrong side of the road is at fault

magpie4ever

First Grade
Years back players were taught to drive on impact attempting to put a player on their back in one motion. This involved shoulder contact, arms grapping the leg and leg drive. A simple tackle where the defender did lift the attacker but was in control of how the attacker came to ground.

Now days the first two defenders in contact are taught to hold the player up and wrap up the ball thus shutting down the play and giving extra time for the defensive line to retreat before the third man comes in just before held to drive them to the ground. It is at this point where control over the position of the player can be lost when brought to ground under the weight of the two extra defenders. Even though the third defender has no intention of tipping a player on his head.

The cannonball and tipping tackle like this one can be removed/limited if the referees simply call held earlier when a player is still standing giving the attacking team a quick play the ball. This removes the insentive for defenders to hold attackers up, it forces defenders to try and bring the attacker to ground on initial contact. Defenders will have to resort back to the old classical tackling techniques of before 10 years ago.

Totally agree, legs tackle should be the dominant tackle and allowed extra time before being required to release the tackled palyer.

Spot On

Coach

:clap::clap::clap:

A man that knows his stuff.

Absolutely no doubt the shift to the wrestle in the defensive technique has been a blight on the game in so many ways. It has led to an absolute mess in the ruck and shit load of "interpretation" flaws for referring standards.

Last edited:

magpie4ever

First Grade
McKinnon's action could have contributed to his injury, we will never know what woul have happened had he done nothing or moved his body in another way. The fact is, and will always remain, McLean's actions and his actions alone, put McKinnon into a dangerous position which made him feel that he had to take evasive action.

Take the analagy of a car is driving towards you on the wrong side of the road and you swerve to miss him and in doing so you hit a tree and paralyse yourself. You could have swerved earlier or braked earlier which could have saved you from serious injury. The fact you didn't do that doesn't change the fact that the guy on the wrong side of the road is at fault

Ok, you say it was evasive action, I agree. Do you believe it was the correct evasive action - opening the back of your neck to possible contact with the ground?

For the trolls refrain from attacking me as being insensitive, as these question/s will be raised in the judiciary.

ek999

First Grade
Ok, you say it was evasive action, I agree. Do you believe it was the correct evasive action - opening the back of your neck to possible contact with the ground?

For the trolls refrain from attacking me as being insensitive, as these question/s will be raised in the judiciary.

Of course it was evasive action, what else could it be?

Whether it was the right or wrong action to take, McKinnon was doing what he thought was best to avoid serious injury from an illegal tackle. The perpetrator of the illegal tackle ie. McLean is to blame for his injury and no one else

tumbidragon

First Grade
It's either that or go in face first which would have caused even greater damage to his spinal cord, and perhaps even killing him. It is a natural reflex to tuck your head in when falling head first and is also a taught method, as it is a far 'safer' way to fall.
The point that is being made and what you seem to be unable to grasp, is that he should never of even had to chose falling head first this way or that way.. He was put in an ILLEGAL and dangerous position by McLean and as a result has paid a devastating cost, for something that was completely out of his control.

Allstar Knights

Juniors

Have you ever thought that it was just natural instinct to evade his face from going into the turf? You're such a trolling f**kwit

magpie4ever

First Grade
Of course it was evasive action, what else could it be?

Whether it was the right or wrong action to take, McKinnon was doing what he thought was best to avoid serious injury from an illegal tackle. The perpetrator of the illegal tackle ie. McLean is to blame for his injury and no one else

I agreed it was evasive action, but the question was, was it the correct evasive action? You didn't really answer it.

Dragonwest

Juniors

It was not McLean's actions alone that put Alex in a dangerous position. He was simply trying to bring him to ground. The same kind of way he would have put players on their backs hundreds of times before. It's the unknown factor of the two extra defenders weight that tips player over onto their head.

We should not crucify McLean or anyone else for that matter. The league needs to look at tackling technique as a whole and the held call in general. A blanket ban on hands between legs is not the answer either.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Have you ever thought that it was just natural instinct as his face was going into the turf? You're such a trolling f**kwit

I asked the trolls not to attack, but I expected it.

The facts are: the natural instinct is to brace with the arm or arms and flex the other way.

magpie4ever

First Grade
It was not McLean's actions alone that put Alex in a dangerous position. He was simply trying to bring him to ground. The same kind of way he would have put players on their backs hundreds of times before. It's the unknown factor of the two extra defenders weight that tips player over onto their head.

We should not crucify McLean or anyone else for that matter. The league needs to look at tackling technique as a whole and the held call in general. A blanket ban on hands between legs is not the answer either.[/QUOTE]

Because almost every legs tackle would be banned.

Parra

Referee

The facts are: the natural instinct is to brace with the arm or arms and flex the other way.

A player should not be in the position where he is being tackled into the turf head first.

That is the issue.

_Johnsy

Referee
Because almost every legs tackle would be banned.

Here is a thought, that's why placing your hands between the legs & lifting above the horizontal is illegal.

Surely you cannot be BM level stupid, has to be a troll. No other plausible explanation.

Apey

Staff member

lol 'facts'

and he tried to brace with his arms you absolute merkin of a human being, he had two (probably 100kg+) defenders with their weight on top of him so his arm gave way almost immediately

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts