What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

magpie4ever

First Grade
A player should not be in the position where he is being tackled into the turf head first.

That is the issue.

Mate, that is you opinion and that is fair enough, no argument.

But someone of these geese who want to verbally attack me, will not answer questions that will be asked in a judiciary. They can not comprehend that issues about the fold (or flip) will be looked at and raised.

They are like children who see things only in black or white, no grey and because someone on here is able to put forward these issues, I am a troll.

It is just their juvenile way to look at this accident, and the majority won't answer simple questions that will obviously be raised.

Last edited:

magpie4ever

First Grade
lol 'facts'

and he tried to brace with his arms you absolute merkin of a human being, he had two (probably 100kg+) defenders with their weight on top of him so his arm gave way almost immediately

You are a deadset dickhead, he pulled his arm back not from the weight.

_Johnsy

Referee
lol 'facts'

and he tried to brace with his arms you absolute merkin of a human being, he had two (probably 100kg+) defenders with their weight on top of him so his arm gave way almost immediately

He disregards simple biomechanics (may not understand what they are) yet expects his views to be considered "facts" which happen to be bio mechanical movements.

I actually pity him.

All three storm players should front the judiciary not just one in relation to their contributory negligence in this tackle. The Ref should also come under scutiny for why they did not call held when clearly McKinnon's progress was stopped and for not stopping the tackle when the third storm player started to lift McKinnon as well.- The NRL/Refs/Players all have a duty of care to one another.

To me this could have been avoided and is a wake up call for the NRL in relation to their intepretation of tackles all this dominant/surrender tackle nonsense has to go and penalties must be blown for any lifting tackle attempt or otherwise including those back slam/head slam tackles as surely one day a player is not going to get up after one of these too.

I also feel that the rule that an attacking player can be tackled in mid air when attempting to score a try should be scrapped and replaced by the rule that any player tackled in mid air whether a defender and or an attacking player no matter where on the field their team will receive a penalty. they are gambling with the possibilty of a player being serious injured if they are allowed to be tackled in mid air- it's not a case of if its a case of when this will happen.

Good luck with your recovery Alex McKinnon we are all praying for this.

All three ?

Get a f**king grip.

Anyone who suggests such a thing is either trying to inflame things further or has no idea about the game.

Truly moronic.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Going well so far Maggie. Can you ever get out of that hole you've dug?

I doubt it. Almost like be attacked by kindy pupils.

I will wait for the judiciary, now. As most posters on here are unable to hold a mature conversation about this incident (and issues raised) without going into hysterics.

thorson1987

Coach
Here is a thought, that's why placing your hands between the legs & lifting above the horizontal is illegal.

Surely you cannot be BM level stupid, has to be a troll. No other plausible explanation.

The bolded part is the relevant issue. There is nothing in the rule book against one hand between the legs, it's part and parcel of a stock standard driving tackle.

He was lifted above the horizontal. Quiet rightly he has a case to answer at the judiciary.

As with johnsy, I believe he will get 1-3 weeks.

_Johnsy

Referee
Mate, that is you opinion and that is fair enough, no argument.

But someone of these geese who want to verbally attack me, will not answer questions that will be asked in a judiciary. They can not comprehend that issues about the fold (or flip) will be looked at and raised.

They are like children who see things only in black or white, no grey and because someone on here is able to put forward these issues, I am a troll.

It is just their junenile way to look at this accident, and the majority won't answer simple questions that will obviously be raised.

Seriously
look%20in%20mirror.gif

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.rlpa.com.au/content/players-call-restraint-reporting

Players call for restraint in reporting
Tue, 01 Apr 2014 15:59:42
Rugby League Player Association

The Rugby League Players Association (RLPA) has called on media outlets to exercise restraint and compassion in their reporting of Alex McKinnon’s situation.

“Media must recognise that what they report has a very human impact and a lot of players are very angry that a situation as serious and sensitive as this one was sensationalised in a way that has upset many players and members of the rugby league family,” said RLPA General President Clint Newton.

A television news story aired on Monday night resulted in a flurry of speculation and misleading conclusions that caused unnecessary distress at what is a very emotional time for all involved.

McKinnon’s family have nominated the Newcastle Knights as the point of contact to deal with media enquiries and provide updates when appropriate and the RLPA, on behalf of the playing group, hopes all media will respect their wishes.

“This is not about ratings or getting the story first this is about a young man and his family going through a very difficult time and whilst we appreciate the overwhelming support of media and fans who, for the most part, are acting with the best of intentions, we call on everyone to refer to the official updates being issued by the Newcastle Knights for accurate information."

The Knights have asked that any messages of support for Alex and his family be emailed to knights@newcastleknights.com.au

Johns Magic

Referee
Magpie...I think it's pretty obvious that the Knights' advice would be appropriate in other tackles where he had flipped further than he ended up going, and that McKinnon misjudged how far he was going as he was disoriented and at the whim of three 100kg+ forwards.

The Knights will not cop the blame here, McKinnon won't cop it either.

Card Shark

Immortal
Ok, you say it was evasive action, I agree. Do you believe it was the correct evasive action - opening the back of your neck to possible contact with the ground?

Of course it wasn't the correct evasive action - the man is probably never gonna walk again.

He had to make a split second decision how to prepare his head with impact with the ground, after having his body contorted by 2 guys & up ended by another.

He tragically took the wrong action but that is hardly his fault in anyway. If it happened in slow motion, he gets a chance to adjust his landing depending on his overall body movement.

Too bad it's only ch 9 that play everything in slow mo to make it look worse. Poor McKinnon had a split second decision to make & made an error of judgement with 3 guys flexing his body during this split second.

Spot On

Coach
You've got to give it Newton there. A very smart statement to select media outlet to pull the effing heads in. Well done.

Rosetta

Juniors
the home of bullshit

i hope Media Watch go after Breen

To be fair, Breen didn't sensationalise the story, he just told the fact that McKinnon is currently in a quadriplegic state as he currently only has sensation in his right arm, this may be temporary (let's hope so) or permanent. Nine News hammed it up by making it sound like it was set in stone that McKinnon would never walk again, which was a despicable way to get people to tune into their news....but it sadly worked, Nine News is killing it in Sydney when it comes to the ratings.

Apey

Staff member
You are a deadset dickhead, he pulled his arm back not from the weight.

Says the guy who has implied he's only seen the tackle once or maybe twice:

Yes, but I will not again knowing the result.

I still find it hard to watch the incident, having my youngest bloke playing top level rep league at the moment, it certainly sends on chill up the spine.

Bullshit, while I don't wish to watch it again, someone else can than say if was it an instinctive protective movement. I say, it was not and I want to know why.

Maybe you should watch it again, that would probably be an excellent starting point for someone who wishes to comment on the actual tackle.

Didn't pull his arm back from the weight... jesus christ, you cannot be for real. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-BmKXU12yE

Card Shark

Immortal
You've got to give it Newton there. A very smart statement to select media outlet to pull the effing heads in. Well done.

Yes it is well done.

Hope that goes for a lot of "issues" within the game. Stop writing bullshit you bottom feeders!!

beave

Coach
Is anyone actually surprised 9 stooped to these levels?

The merkins are that low they could wear a top hat and still walk under a snakes belly.

El Diablo

Post Whore
can't believe the comments Paul Murray made

he had a go at Newcastle for them condemning channel 9 :crazy:

Apey

Staff member
NBN news here in Newcastle started with "... has been told he may not walk ever again." today. Better than last night I suppose.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...to-alex-mckinnon/story-fni3gf5j-1226871318201

Australian cricket captain Michael Clarke ‘cut to the core’ by the tragic injury to Alex McKinnon

Michael Clarke
The Daily Telegraph
April 01, 2014 9:00PM

I’M NOT writing this column as an Australian cricketer. I’m writing it as a lover of all sports and a rugby league fan who has been cut to the core by the injury to Alex McKinnon.

Like millions of others, I’m heartbroken today. The incident that has left Alex in hospital has touched lives across sports, across the country.

I’m hurting for his partner, his family and all the people close to him. Their lives have changed dramatically.

I sincerely hope people don’t blame Jordan McLean for what has happened. There was no malice in that tackle. It was a horrible, horrible accident. He would be feeling as bad as anybody.

This goes beyond a rugby league issue. As someone who played league as a kid and has watched countless games over the years, I’ve never seen anything like this. Freak accidents can happen in any sport, in any walk of life. It’s just very, very sad.

I love my league and was watching the Monday night game between the Storm and the Knights like thousands of others.

Alex’s fall certainly looked nasty, but I don’t think anyone expected things to turn out how they have.

What has come out since then has broken my heart. After I heard reports of his condition the other night, I lay awake in bed until 1.30am thinking about Alex and the things he must be going through. It still makes me feel sick in the guts.

It’s hard to fathom how life can change so quickly, so dramatically and over such a freakish event.

As athletes, we can be a bit guilty of living in a bubble. You can think that things can’t impact upon you like it can others. But something like this proves just how wrong that is.

It’s sent shock waves through league, sport and society.

My thoughts and prayers are with Alex and his family.

Sport needs to help him and others who have suffered injuries like this.

I can’t begin to imagine how something like this changes a life. And not just one life but the hundreds of people who are close to Alex.

I have thought to myself: ‘If something like this happened on a cricket field, would I go out to bat the next day?’ Honestly, yes I would. This is what I’m trained to do. And I’m sure it’s the same for league players. The game will go on. But it must do so without ever forgetting Alex. He needs support. Not just today, but throughout his treatment.

From everything I’ve read, Alex is a fighter. That should give everyone hope — from the doctors to his family to the public that have come to love him. I wish him the very best in his recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts