What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noname36

First Grade
I doubt it. Almost like be attacked by kindy pupils.

I will wait for the judiciary, now. As most posters on here are unable to hold a mature conversation about this incident (and issues raised) without going into hysterics.

Mate the common denominator in this argument continuing seems to be you. Not only are you dead wrong and anyone that's ever played footy can spot that a mile away, but you're also being incredibly disrespectful and quite frankly a complete arsehole by trying to pin blame on McKinnon and his club at this time. Pull your head in.

Noname36

First Grade
Last edited:

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Just on the hysteria about children playing the game.

My experience visting a spinal ward for years, keep them of motorbikes, pushbikes and out of cars.

They are the majority of patients, the odd sports, be it team or skateboards, diving, freak fall are the small numbers.

Motorbikes riders seemed the worse effected in my time there, as in damage done, usually a snap.

As opposed the the knee, shoulder recontruction ward, sports injuries eveywhere.

tumbidragon

First Grade
Just on the hysteria about children playing the game.

My experience visting a spinal ward for years, keep them of motorbikes, pushbikes and out of cars.

They are the majority of patients, the odd sports, be it team or skateboards, diving, freak fall are the small numbers.

Motorbikes riders seemed the worse effected in my time there, as in damage done, usually a snap.

As opposed the the knee, shoulder recontruction ward, sports injuries eveywhere.
Ban the 9's!?

JJ

Immortal
The world would be a better place without the media at times...

Here's a thought, why not give the poor kid and his family privacy, dignity and respect by leaving them alone for a bit...

jamesgould

Juniors
Ok, you say it was evasive action, I agree. Do you believe it was the correct evasive action - opening the back of your neck to possible contact with the ground?

For the trolls refrain from attacking me as being insensitive, as these question/s will be raised in the judiciary.

ALEX McKinnon?s apparent ducked head will not be the focus of Melbourne Storm?s defence strategy for forward Jordan McLean at tonight?s NRL judiciary hearing in Sydney.

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/spor...udiciary-hearing/story-fni3fbgz-1226871223452

magpie4ever fails again.

Meth

Staff member
I know there's already a thread on McKinnon, but its probably best to start a thread discussing the appropriate punishment for McClean ahead of his trial tonight.

How many weeks for McClean and why?

Meth

Staff member
I'm going for 5-6- that's trying to take into account precedent (Inu got 8 weeks for a much worse tackle with much less serious consequence) and the outcome, without getting too carried away or caught up in the emotion surrounding the incident.

It doesn't really matter how harshly McClean is punished, it won't compensate or be commensurate to McKinnon's injury.

franklin2323

Immortal
Tackle without the injury 2 weeks.... The poor bastard will probably get a long suspension due to the media pressure.

Meth

Staff member
Yeah, I am partial to the argument that the outcome should not necessarily determine the severity of punishment. But this is a pretty serious outcome that warrants consideration in coming up with an appropriate suspension, in my view. For example, if a guy throws a punch and it doesn't connect well, I'm not sure it should be graded much differently to if a guy throws a punch and does connect well. The intent was there. In this instance though, the outcome was much less trivial.

Last edited:

Whats Doing

Bench
It should be severe enough to eradicate the tackle from the game.

A strong message needs to be given so that this never happens again.

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kade Snowden copped a huge suspension mostly because of Ray Thompsons broken jaw.

As much as injury shouldn't be considered, its likely it will be.

BranVan3000

Coach
Yeah, I am partial to the argument that the outcome should not necessarily determine the severity of punishment. But this is a pretty serious outcome that warrants consideration in coming up with an appropriate suspension, in my view. For example, if a guy throws a punch and it doesn't connect well, I'm not sure it should be graded much differently to if a guy throws a punch and does connect well. The intent was there. In this instance though, the outcome was much less trivial.
Outcome always determines punishment. If you hit and kill a guy who runs on to the road while you're speeding, you are looking at a manslaughter sentence, not a speeding ticket.

McLean committed a reckless and dangerous tackle that has resulted in the worst possible injury. I expect a lengthy suspension. And NRL needs to do that for their own legal benefit when this eventually turns into a legal battle, if they are not showing a willingness to stop this sort of behaviour with serious punishment then they can be culpable in the eyes of the law. The NRL also need to clamp down on it during games with immediate send offs for dangerous tackles

Meth

Staff member
Outcome always determines punishment. If you hit and kill a guy who runs on to the road while you're speeding, you are looking at a manslaughter sentence, not a speeding ticket.

I don't disagree. I'm not sure if the outcome should always determine punishment, but it certainly should (or go a large way towards) in cases with outcomes as serious as these.

georgesnmith

Juniors
4 weeks thats all.

anything more is ridiculous.

making him a scapegoat changes nothing for mckinnon

judiciary has to show some guts and not pander to the media or even the ARLC

it should get exactly the same suspension as similar tackles have got

nick87

Coach
Ignoring the horrific results, it's a one week tackle at worst, probably wouldnt have even attracted a charge

If they suspended him for 1-2 weeks, id say fair enough. Unfortunately the bloke is going to get hung out to dry for 10-12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts