What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

georgesnmith

Juniors
if mcclean gets 10 - 12 weeks does that mean the next person that does the same tackle also gets the same, even if the person tackled suffers no injury?

hope the storm get him a good lawyer at the hearing because it sounds like it will be a witch hunt

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
i'm not going to speculate on the weeks for mclean as i feel it trivialises what has occurred.

whilst it was not the worst tackle ever committed, it was still an illegal tackle and it's had the 2nd worst possible outcome that could have occurred.

what happened to alex is the reason why the tackles are illegal, and the severity of his injury shouldn't sway the judiciary to impose a longer sentence just for this tackle in isolation.

if the NRL are serious about stamping out spear tackles, there needs to be send offs & longer sentences for anyone engaging in the play.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
He will be better off getting his punishment before the full extent of McKinnon's injury is known.

I'm sure they will succumb to media pressure otherwise all those mums wont let their kids play League ever again.

Snowdens case set the precedent that injury is taken into consideration.

No a heavy suspension won't help McKinnon at all, but it will act as a deterrant to other people lifting, if it was up to me any similar tackle would be an automatic send off, I guarantee you like with the 1 punch your off rule, players would quickly get it.

Ditto the shoulder charge.

12 weeks is about right IMO, it was illegal and it did severely injure Alex.

I do feel for McLean but a heavy price is due.

BeeeeeRad

Juniors
It's obviously a horrific occurrence, but if we are all being honest we see tackles similar to this most weeks, it was just extremely unlucky for all parties involved that Alex McKinnon ended in the position he did. A lot of the time they don't even get picked up by the match review committee if the players don't end up in a really dangerous.

It is really a tough one, because was an illegal tackle that definitely needs suspension, 2 weeks would be fair in normal circumstances which is what I would be happy with, but given these are anything but, I can't help but feel they're gonna throw the book at the kid to make an example of him.

mxlegend99

Referee
The tackle itself should be a week suspension at worst. The same sort of tackle happens a few times in every game and often isn't even a penalty.

If they want to crack down and throw a massive suspension at him to prevent it happening in future. The injury needs to be ignored and every tackle that is similar needs a huge suspension too. Or else it doesnt scare players into not doing those tackles, as injuries like this are one in a million. So only punishing severely when injuries occur won't fix anything.

natheel

Coach
Just hope he isn't made a scapegoat. Yes its horrible what happened but we need to take into account Jordan's welfare as well. I'm sure a young bloke would be struggling with the thoughts that he has caused this so the worst thing would be to be sat out for 10-12 weeks for an unfortunate accident. I think 1-4 weeks would be alright

Generalzod

Immortal
Don't you think the player is suffering for what had happened, I don't understand the purpose of what the judiciary is trying to prove now, If the NRL really wanted to take action they should stop gang tackling its a simple as that.

aqua_duck

Coach
Snowdens case set the precedent that injury is taken into consideration.

No a heavy suspension won't help McKinnon at all, but it will act as a deterrant to other people lifting, if it was up to me any similar tackle would be an automatic send off, I guarantee you like with the 1 punch your off rule, players would quickly get it.

Ditto the shoulder charge.

12 weeks is about right IMO, it was illegal and it did severely injure Alex.

I do feel for McLean but a heavy price is due.

Yep the Snowden suspension really does open a can of worms, without the broken jaw the Snowden tackle wasn't even as bad as the Pritchard tackle from the same week which got 2 matches from memory

Tayjack

Juniors
Reality says 1-2 at worst, if it's anymore than that then they should be appealing it, and winning it, I can't believe we are talking any punishment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts