What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep the Snowden suspension really does open a can of worms, without the broken jaw the Snowden tackle wasn't even as bad as the Pritchard tackle from the same week which got 2 matches from memory

Without the broken jaw that wasn't even a penalty. And without a broken neck McLean wouldn't even be looking at a suspension, whether for 1 game or 500.

How can the NRL seriously consider a suspension for this tackle when you see just as bad about 20 times every game?

Hopefully sanity and not reactionary bullshit prevails.

Zigwaa

Bench
5 - 6 weeks. Anything longer than that is giving into media pressure.

The people who are calling for a longer ban are the ones who don't watch or support the game. The NRL needs to consider it's fans and not listen to the ones who have no interest in the game.

betcats

Referee
5 - 6 weeks. Anything longer than that is giving into media pressure.

The people who are calling for a longer ban are the ones who don't watch or support the game. The NRL needs to consider it's fans and not listen to the ones who have no interest in the game.

So there are people who post on this forum all the time that don't watch or support rugby league? Lol f**k off, people have different opinions to you, doesnt mean they aren't fans.

I think about 8 weeks.

ek999

First Grade
Ah the old "you have a different opinion to me so you must know nothing about or watch the game" trick

JJ

Immortal
I am guessing 5-6 weeks, longer might happen...

If it's short the media will be into it again

FWIW I thought it was a bad tackle, Lousi's too... both should get decent sentences...

As has been suggested though, changes nothing for McKinnon... who was just incredibly unlucky, it's a fine line and his life is changed forever, nothing they do to McLean will change that, no matter how much the media scum write about it

I believe injury does need to be taken into account because essentially its an illegal tackle that's hurt someone. Id give him 15-18 weeks. Not even joking. Dont lift, dont put people in prone positions because if it all goes bad. It can really go bad. Just my 2 cents

Zigwaa

Bench
So there are people who post on this forum all the time that don't watch or support rugby league? Lol f**k off, people have different opinions to you, doesnt mean they aren't fans.

I think about 8 weeks.

I was more referring to the opinion pieces on TV that say it should get a season ban and the like.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Poor kid is probably going to be the patsy for the nrl's lack of initiative in getting rid of this type of tackle. Should get 1week, will get a lot more.

BranVan3000

Coach
It's obviously a horrific occurrence, but if we are all being honest we see tackles similar to this most weeks, it was just extremely unlucky for all parties involved that Alex McKinnon ended in the position he did. A lot of the time they don't even get picked up by the match review committee if the players don't end up in a really dangerous.

It is really a tough one, because was an illegal tackle that definitely needs suspension, 2 weeks would be fair in normal circumstances which is what I would be happy with, but given these are anything but, I can't help but feel they're gonna throw the book at the kid to make an example of him.

You are looking at this backwards. It is not unlucky that this happened to McLean's tackle, it is extremely lucky that this hasn't happened before and more frequently. This type of tackle is pissweak, clumsy and dangerous and the NRL need to make an example to stamp it out.

Living with the burden of knowing what he did, even though it was an accident is a far worse punishment than any length of suspension.
I think other players after seeing what has happened to McKinnon will know now not to tackle like that.

BranVan3000

Coach
Without the broken jaw that wasn't even a penalty. And without a broken neck McLean wouldn't even be looking at a suspension, whether for 1 game or 500.

How can the NRL seriously consider a suspension for this tackle when you see just as bad about 20 times every game?

So when do the NRL start making stricter punishments for this type of tackle if not now? They just keep letting them continue with nothing 2 week sentences?

Frankly if anything I'm happy to see the focus on this type of dangerous tackle, maybe they will start punishing this instead of the ridiculous sentences for shoulder charges

BranVan3000

Coach
Living with the burden of knowing what he did, even though it was an accident is a far worse punishment than any length of suspension.
I think other players after seeing what has happened to McKinnon will know now not to tackle like that.

The weekend was full of them in every game. Even McLean was still tackling in this style

It won't stop until its clear how big the punishments will be and coaches start training to avoid them

Zigwaa

Bench
Looking at it from another perpective.

I imagine there would an assessment criteria for judging the severity of an illegal tackle right? Is the extent of injury to the opposing player set criteria? If it is then he can expect a very lengthy ban. If not, it's very subjective what the ban will be as demonstrated in the discussion on this forum.

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
Given the Judiciary will take into account the fact that the victim of the illegal play has had his career (and livelihood) ended, I am anticipating that McLean will receive a long-term ban ... I honestly would not be surprised to see the Judiciary hand out something like a 1 or 2 year ban.

A pertinent question about this thread is whether we are discussing what we think the Judiciary will actually do, or what we would do if we were in their position ... as it can arguably result in two very different outcomes.

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
I'm not talking about what I would do .. but all the ingredients are there for a massive punishment:

- Player with broken neck as a result of lifting tackle. Career over, potentially quadraplegic.
- Outrage in the media (Daily Telegraph aside)
- Public sentiment hoping that justice is done
- Judiciary thinking they need to send a message so that "Mums still let their kids play footy"

And so on ...

Apey

Staff member
I agree Popeye...so just want them all to know that Jordan McLean is a person too but I don't expect it will matter to a few.

And this will happen again because there are players from many teams still doing it unimpeded, unpenalised, and arrogant enough to do as they please....a scapegoat isn't what is needed.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/th...mckinnon-tragedy/story-fndv325j-1226866701746

I sympathise with McLean but what a wank this piece is. :lol:

I hate people.

Apey

Staff member
Whether you're sick of hearing about it or not, the Snowden incident is good for comparison sake. Illegal act, not that bad/on the lower end of the spectrum for that type of offence, yet moderate to severe injury occurred as a result.

So basically it will depend on how consistent the judiciary are going to be... They're so consistently inconsistent I wouldn't make a wager either way and really have nfi what they will do.

As long as it isn't given a complete slap on the wrist (< 3 weeks), I don't really care.

Johns Magic

Referee

To prevent the same tackle from happening 20 times every game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts