What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danish

Referee
You are expecting parents to think rationally about their childrens safety, they usually dont do that.

Also people can get by without their kids playing footy, not many can get by without using the roads. What im saying is most people dont have much of a choice on whether their kids go on the roads in cars/busses or whatever despite knowing the risk, they can choose a sport they see as safer for their kids quite easily.

If they can't make it rationally then they can't expect me or anyone else to respect their decision.

betcats

Referee
and which sport is supposedly going to save all these children from the evil and dangerous Rugby League?

What? I dunno, whatever f**king sport these parents perceive as safe. I wasnt having a go at Rugby league or calling it dangerous. My kids will play League if they want too, I think its as safe as it can be. I am just looking at it from another perspective.

Trying to rationalise with a protective parent of young children just won't work in a lot of cases imo.

cleary89

Coach
Completely off topic, but has anyone known a kid who played footy and was bullied? I certainly never was and neither were any of my team mates. Now as a teacher, I can honestly say I've never seen it.

carcharias

Immortal
Completely off topic, but has anyone known a kid who played footy and was bullied? I certainly never was and neither were any of my team mates. Now as a teacher, I can honestly say I've never seen it.

A few.

It was usually the fathers idea.

So you divulge personal information about yourself, then get defensive when someone asks if you'll let your kid ride a pushbike or skateboard.

Right....

Yes I do mate.

It was to make a comment re my thoughts on their possible participation in Rugby League, not other activities.

For the record not that it's relevant I am sure they will ride a bike and do plenty of silly arse stunts like any kids.

and which sport is supposedly going to save all these children from the evil and dangerous Rugby League?

Nobody is saying Leagues evil El Diablo.

People are entitled to make decisions for their families based on what they think, and its very silly to compare soccer and tennis injuries to a broken neck don't you think?

I love league and have all my life and will continue to do so, but only an idiot thinks someone breaking their neck and loosing control of their limbs won't impact peoples choice.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not going to condemn you as you are onky acting in the best interests of your children. I do think it's a slightly emotional and irrational reaction though. Your kids won't be exposed to the forces a professional NRL player is. Not to mention you are responding to one incidemt in first grade when I suspect it happens in junior league every year. Seems illogical for this to be the catalyst.

Tommy Raudonikis' nephew died playing League last year didn't he?

These accidents will sadly happen, we can just hope that they are extremely rare and get even more rare in the future.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Nobody is saying Leagues evil El Diablo.

People are entitled to make decisions for their families based on what they think, and its very silly to compare soccer and tennis injuries to a broken neck don't you think?

I love league and have all my life and will continue to do so, but only an idiot thinks someone breaking their neck and loosing control of their limbs won't impact peoples choice.

I think you need to let the emotions from this tragic accident settle before saying no to league or rugby.

Your two littlies will let you and your wife (obviously with your guidance)know the sport they prefer by their coordination (whether they want to kick a ball along the ground or pick it up and run etc). There will be key indicators.

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
For me its a little bit like someone who is afraid of flying. You can sit there for hours explaining how much safer flying is to driving and comparing injury and death tolls etc but when you get them on that plane they are still going to shit themselves. I, like most peopl find that ridiculous, but it doesnt make them any less afraid.

El Diablo

Post Whore
silly analogy imo

a better analogy would be someone refusing to fly after the Malaysian Airlines accident

Last edited:

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I've got two boys - 3 & 1.

They can play what they want, when they want. I played league from the time I was 6. It was the first year of mini and mod footy - 1983. Before that it was international rules on a full field.

The touch football alignment is superb for the game going forward, for the exact reasons some in here have expressed. Tackle should never be banned at any level if kids and parents want to do it, but seriously, the culture of fear in todays society is laughable.

I hope we never have to go to war again as a country. Mum & Dad would have to do all the work.

I really am not a fan of people condemning parents who may decide not to put their kids in league due to this incident.

I am a father of a 2 month old and a 18 month old, McKinnons accident its repurcussions will certainly make me think twice about League.

I realise its an extremely isolated incident but lets be honest, your not going to see such injuries on a soccer field or tennis court are you?

Two pro soccer players have died from heading the ball in the last 15 years.

My kids aren't playing....not now after this one.
I played and hurt my spine.
Yeah they can get hurt anywhere...but playing footy ( as a teenager and older ) is asking to be hurt in comparison.
I will still love the game as a spectator. It's just not worth that miniscule % of something like this happening.

Are you stopping your kids or are they deciding for themselves?

Noname36

First Grade
After Melbourne appealed for him to play last weekend he did the exact same lifting tackle twice on Bulldogs players. You'd think he'd probably learn something...obviously not.

Status
Not open for further replies.