What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

georgesnmith

Juniors
if someone doesnt want his kids playing league its his choice

its not as if most peoples kids are a chance of making first grade anyway

league has tonnes of juniors

and we get NRL players from other sports even soccer

Dean young played soccer up until the age of 16 at a high level then came to league

despite what parents might wish some kids wont like playing soccer and like league for its physicality and other skills

soccer has a limited skill set

Lol @ people comparing travelling in a car to playing rugby league.

One is almost a necessity in life that everyone does almost everyday, the other is a sport.

The comparison isn't spot on but driving is not even 'almost a necessity'

Plenty of people live their whole lives & can become successful not driving.

Danish

Referee
Haha these blokes get so defensive its geniused, they can't even have a conversation about it.

I would argue the exact opposite.

A couple parent posters brought up that they would second guess allowing their kids to play league based on their safety concerns. Other posters tried to counter their concerns with facts showing that league is just as safe as any sport, and their reaction was "Eh... I don't care about facts. Emotions rule".

If you find yourself in an argument and the entire basis of your side is essentially irrational gut feeling then it is YOU who is incapable of discussing the issue, not the people who are taking you to task with points based in fact.

Surrogate

Juniors
I find it unbelievable that so many say "So many other lifting tackles don't result in broken necks, so why should McLean be punished just because his one did result in that?" .... when the WHOLE point that lifting tackles are illegal is BECAUSE the tackled player might break their neck as a result.

FMD, how is this concept that difficult to understand?!?!

There's nothing wrong with a lifting tackle as long as the body doesn't go beyond the horizontal. It only becomes difficult to control when there's other players involved and you don't know when they've completed their tackle. The referee should have called held earlier.

betcats

Referee

A couple parent posters brought up that they would second guess allowing their kids to play league based on their safety concerns. Other posters tried to counter their concerns with facts showing that league is just as safe as any sport, and their reaction was "Eh... I don't care about facts. Emotions rule".

If you find yourself in an argument and the entire basis of your side is essentially irrational gut feeling then it is YOU who is incapable of discussing the issue, not the people who are taking you to task with points based in fact.

What are you talking about? I think League is fine for kids but if you expect parents to remove their emotions when considering their children you are a complete imbecile. Especially when the issue is the kids safety lol fmd that is stupid.

Springs

First Grade
The point of the comparison is the ridiculous hysteria.
And to counter, one may be an essential part of society, but not when you are 16. Having 16 year olds driving on roads full of maniacs is more dangerous than a 7 year old playing f**king mini footy.
But neither should be changed and parents shouldn't be stopping their kids from doing either.

Springs

First Grade
Are you saying our society would exist as it does today without cars, roads and driving??? Never go full genius.

He's talking about it not being essential to the individual.

In fact for a lot of 16-18 year olds who get killed on our roads driving isn't essential.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Mini league is safer than a kid walking home from school FFS.
If league is out of the question so should skateboards, roller skates, cars, bikes, motorbikes, running, every other team sport and even walking on the footpath.

Is that in response to my post?

you need to read it again if it is.

Danish

Referee
What are you talking about? I think League is fine for kids but if you expect parents to remove their emotions when considering their children you are a complete imbecile. Especially when the issue is the kids safety lol fmd that is stupid.

If their emotional decision leads them to pull their kids from one activity and put them in another that is equally or more dangerous, while also let them partake in other definitively more dangerous activities such as swimming at the beach, skateboarding, riding a bike, etc... then its the parent who is the imbecile, not the person pointing out that what they are doing makes no sense.

Being a parent doesn't somehow remove you from criticism when it comes to making decisions about your kids' safety. If anything you should be open to more criticism given your choices are affecting the lives of more people than just yourself.

betcats

Referee
He's talking about it not being essential to the individual.

In fact for a lot of 16-18 year olds who get killed on our roads driving isn't essential.

Yeah I get what he is saying, but he also said that I was wrong, which is stupid.

You'd be a bit of a dope if you weren't concerned as a parent after the Mckinnon incident.

Taking me to task for being concerned about my children. Yeah I am the one with the issues.

What happened to Alex McKinnon was a freak accident brought about by a freak set of circumstances.

To take your kid out of football because they might get a spinal injury like Alex is absolutely ridiculous.

I'm looking at this whole thing and wondering at what age a kid is actually even able to lift another kid let alone drive them into the ground with enough force to break a spine?

At a guess, I would say 14 or even 15 maybe? Maybe even later than that. Up until that age, your kids are more likely to break their neck playing on a trampoline or jumping on the bed.

The better thing to do is to educate your kids on how to tackle and be tackled. Teach them a better technique or speak to their coach and ask that they look at and focus on technique.

Its like when you introduce kids to water. Teach them to swim and how to interact with water in a safe manner. Take them to the local nippers and get them taught how to read rips and the local surf break. By doing this, you minimise the chances of them drowning. However, the chance of drowning is never ever an absolute zero. There is always some risk, no matter how good the swimmer. Same with Rugby League. There is always some risk but if you teach your kids good technique, you minimise the risk.

Regardless, far more kids are injured or die in the water each year than are injured or die on the Rugby League field. Doesn't mean you don't let them swim....

Danish

Referee
You'd be a bit of a dope if you weren't concerned as a parent after the Mckinnon incident.

Taking me to task for being concerned about my children. Yeah I am the one with the issues.

Are you concerned about any upcoming travel plans for your kids based on the Malaysian airlines crash?

El Diablo

Post Whore
Well said.

3s_bubble_narrowweb__200x335.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts