What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

carcharias

Immortal

It has nothing to do colour or race.
It is a fact.
There were virtually no islanders playing when I played.
Now there are plenty and the majority are a lot bigger physically than Caucasian kids.
Don't be a f**king idiot.
It is common bloody knowledge .

RWB

Bench
So moral of the story is that you think for illegal tackles that can end with quadriplegia, a penalty is sufficient as long as the tackler wasn't "trying" to break his neck.

A suspension here is not about punishing McLean, it is about sending the message that lifting players beyond the horizontal is not on because it can have dire consequences.

Well no the moral of the story is I think incidents should be judged on their merits and not the variables such as injuries. I also don't believe in making a statement out of someone career and life like you're suggesting.

Mckinnon ducking is what did the damage, not Mclean's tackle. The tackle needs to be judged on it's merits not the injury sustained.

taxidriver

Coach
What happened to Alex McKinnon was a freak accident brought about by a freak set of circumstances.

no it wasn't a freak set of circumstances.

two blokes pinning a guy while a third comes in to take his legs out/lift them is a set of circumstances that happens in a big percentage of tackles in every game. 300 plus kilos twisting and turning.

by what definition is this a freak set of circumstances?

the circumstances are stacked towards serious injury

Last edited:

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
Tend to side with rwb.

Was he lifted above the horizontal. I saw a leg go up but I didn't think he got him off the ground. It was just an awkward fall.

Johns Magic

Referee
Well no the moral of the story is I think incidents should be judged on their merits and not the variables such as injuries.

The variables that can result from the incident are exactly why it should be punished.

I also don't believe in making a statement out of someone career and life like you're suggesting.

Yeah better not put a guy who just broke someone's neck doing something illegal on the sideline for a few weeks to discourage it ever happening again.

Nice attempt at a moral high horse though.

Mckinnon ducking is what did the damage, not Mclean's tackle. The tackle needs to be judged on it's merits not the injury sustained.

McKinnon made the wrong decision because he was put in a dangerous position by the illegal tackle you dickhead. A tackle that is illegal precisely because things like this can happen.

Are you going to blame the pedestrian who gets killed by a drunk driver because he didn't jump the right way next?

ek999

First Grade
Saying that the majority of Islander's are physically bigger than caucasians is racist?

:lol:

The majority of people from Africa have darker skin than caucasians. Am I now a racist too?

RWB

Bench
The variables that can result from the incident are exactly why it should be punished.

We're not arguing the why, we both agree it's illegal and the reason why is obviously because it can lead to injury but that's not the issue. The issue is how you distinguish on a scale between a serious offender to a minor offender where the perpetrator falls. You seem to think that should be based on injury I think it should be judged on its merits without injury being considered.

Yeah better not put a guy who just broke someone's neck doing something illegal on the sideline for a few weeks to discourage it ever happening again.

Nice attempt at a moral high horse though.

The message has been sent loud and clear, I can't remember an incident ever causing this much news... but you still think people don't understand the consequences? 10 weeks pales into comparison of what Mclean will fight for the rest of his life. I think the consequences are well apparent in this incident.

McKinnon made the wrong decision because he was put in a dangerous position by the illegal tackle you dickhead. A tackle that is illegal precisely because things like this can happen.

Are you going to blame the pedestrian who gets killed by a drunk driver because he didn't jump the right way next?

Really poor & distasteful analogy. Mclean doesn't even come close to a drunk driver who kills/seriously injures someone.

Dragonwest

Juniors
i got slammed in this thread for blaming the tackle that went wrong on the wrestle. I still believe that if the wrestle hadn't taken hold in the game, that tackle doesnt happen.

kent blog in todays paper on the subject

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...writes-paul-kent/story-fni3fh9n-1226871230861

Exactly taxidriver, It's what I mentioned yesterday. It the other two defenders holding the player upright before the third comes in to bring them to ground that make the whole thing so unpredictable. Mclean was just trying to bring him to ground. It's the weight of the other two defenders that cause the player to go past the horizontal.

If the referee calls held earlier when an attacker is wrapped up and still standing, thus giving a fast play the ball the defenders will soon have to resort back to attempted to bring the player to ground on impact.

Cannonballs, chicken wings and tipping will be disappear.

Meth

Staff member
Tend to side with rwb.

Was he lifted above the horizontal. I saw a leg go up but I didn't think he got him off the ground. It was just an awkward fall.

The fact that his head hit the ground first would tend to suggest he was.

Johns Magic

Referee
We're not arguing the why, we both agree it's illegal and the reason why is obviously because it can lead to injury but that's not the issue. The issue is how you distinguish on a scale between a serious offender to a minor offender where the perpetrator falls. You seem to think that should be based on injury I think it should be judged on its merits without injury being considered.

I don't think it should be based on injury. As I said, all lifting tackles past the horizontal should be suspended.

The message has been sent loud and clear, I can't remember an incident ever causing this much news... but you still think people don't understand the consequences? 10 weeks pales into comparison of what Mclean will fight for the rest of his life. I think the consequences are well apparent in this incident.

The NRL judiciary hasn't sent any message yet. What message will they send if they let him off scot-free? And what precedent does it set for future lifting tacklers?

Really poor & distasteful analogy. Mclean doesn't even come close to a drunk driver who kills someone.

Distasteful is putting all the blame on McKinnon as you have done in your last post.

Springs

First Grade
And call a one or two man legs/ball and all tackle dominant, thus allowing them to lay on longer.

Honestly, a small bloke bringing down a George Burgess or Matt Scott by himself should be rewarded more than a 4-man gang tackle on a halfback.

DMS

Juniors
Its ludicrous to believe or even consider a suspension any lower than 8 weeks.....maybe the "tackle" was not on purpose, Maybe we've seen tackles that are worse with lesser outcomes but that doesn't make their sentences right or adequate, you can't undo what has been done in this one.

The Tackle should be a clear and bold message so it can be eliminated from ALL RUGBY LEAGUE NRL/NYC/ESL/QRL/NSWRL/VRL/JRL Competitions and to accomplish that it needs to be a lengthy suspension or you will see this again and again, maybe not as serious, or possibly just as serious......

Are the NRL, the fans and the media willing to take the chance of this happening again and hand out a soft sentence? I hope not because I'm NOT.........I'm NOT a knights fan, I'm a Rugby League fan.......therefore this needs to be the harshest suspension going around today, this has taken a mans livelihood and destroyed his career, he may not ever walk again......

The Judiciary system must change its grading on this matter to do what must be done, this is not an acceptable outcome for a man playing a game of football, You do not go to work/play a game of football and expect to be dropped on your head, Harsh Punishments need to be implemented to eradicate this from the game.

Regardless of how bad the tackle was or wasn't the tackle WAS ILLEGAL. I feel for Jourdan but he needs to be made an example of.....Its the only way the NRL can move forward on this one and get rid of these incidents from the game.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
It was clearly an illegal tackle. I don't think people who think he shouldn't receive some sort of suspension for it should be taken into consideration

So where was Docker's suspension for his illegal tackle on Graham? Or where was McLean reported for similar tackles on the weekend?

Johns Magic

Referee
So where was Docker's suspension for his illegal tackle on Graham? Or where was McLean reported for similar tackles on the weekend?

The question is are you fine with these tackles? If not, then now is probably a good time to make a stand on all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts