What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RWB

Bench
WTF.

Why the f**k is it illegal at all if even a kid looking at life as a quadriplegic isn't a bad enough case to warrant any suspension at all?

You obviously think this type of tackle should not be illegal if that is what you are saying.

Not at all, I think trying to bring a player to ground by picking him up between the legs should be illegal & it is but in this case & most cases penalty is sufficient.

He doesn't drive him into the ground, he doesn't go past the horizontal & most importantly there's no intent. It's just an unfortunate incident where the victim for whatever reason ducked his head and made it look a whole lot worse than the tackle actually was.

This is something Mclean will live with & battle with for the rest of his life, like that's not already enough for those who want punishment?

betcats

Referee
If their emotional decision leads them to pull their kids from one activity and put them in another that is equally or more dangerous, while also let them partake in other definitively more dangerous activities such as swimming at the beach, skateboarding, riding a bike, etc... then its the parent who is the imbecile, not the person pointing out that what they are doing makes no sense.

Being a parent doesn't somehow remove you from criticism when it comes to making decisions about your kids' safety. If anything you should be open to more criticism given your choices are affecting the lives of more people than just yourself.

I agree that it is silly and you can criticise their decision all you want, I don't see the point of that though.

Also lets not act like stopping you child from playing Rugby league because you are worried about their safety makes you a bad parent.

RWB

Bench
Uh he provided you a reasoned response relevant to the topic. You're the one displaying ad hominem

I deny that, his position is one of a bigot and I maintain that.

The poll only represents a portion of the opinions because he thinks some opinions don't matter.

That's the definition of bigotry.

Last edited:
3s_bubble_narrowweb__200x335.jpg

Once again I've never said I'll stop my kids playing league, only that incidents like this do make me think twice.

You might get a job at 9 with your level of replying El Diablo?

carcharias

Immortal
If I saw 3 blokes pick up my kid and slam him into the ground I'd get a f**king gun.
Yet ... If we don't allow it in the name of sport we are soft?

Falling off a bike or being run over by a car is not a premiditated act.

Love the game
But now I know why my parents were worried about my safety.
That was well before the islanders started playing here.

Johns Magic

Referee
Not at all, I think trying to bring a player to ground by picking him up between the legs should be illegal & it is but in this case & most cases penalty is sufficient.

He doesn't drive him into the ground, he doesn't go past the horizontal & most importantly there's no intent. It's just an unfortunate incident where the victim for whatever reason ducked his head and made it look a whole lot worse than the tackle actually was.

This is something Mclean will live with & battle with for the rest of his life, like that's not already enough for those who want punishment?

So moral of the story is that you think for illegal tackles that can end with quadriplegia, a penalty is sufficient as long as the tackler wasn't "trying" to break his neck.

A suspension here is not about punishing McLean, it is about sending the message that lifting players beyond the horizontal is not on because it can have dire consequences.

Valheru

Coach
It should be one week at most as that is what I believe he would have got if the injury didn’t occur. Like everyone else here I have looked at it numerous times and it was just a freak accident.

Valheru

Coach
So moral of the story is that you think for illegal tackles that can end with quadriplegia, a penalty is sufficient as long as the tackler wasn't "trying" to break his neck.

A suspension here is not about punishing McLean, it is about sending the message that lifting players beyond the horizontal is not on because it can have dire consequences.

Any illegal play can have dire consequences. The worst case scenarios for run of the mill high tackles are horrific.

Unfortunately on this occasion the worst (or near to) result did happen but is was nowhere near the worst lifting tackle ever seen. Surely the injury itself is much more a deterrent to lifting tackles than any suspension could ever be...

Johns Magic

Referee
Any illegal play can have dire consequences. The worst case scenarios for run of the mill high tackles are horrific.

Unfortunately on this occasion the worst (or near to) result did happen but is was nowhere near the worst lifting tackle ever seen.

My point is all lifting tackles beyond the horizontal should be suspended. Much more harshly than they are now.

Surely the injury itself is much more a deterrent to lifting tackles than any suspension could ever be...

So you are saying lifting tackles shouldn't incur suspensions?

5-6, although he probably gets 1-2 if there is no injury, I think the injury will factor in. The fact several more malicious dangerous throws have seen a much lower penalty I guess makes him a little unlucky. No matter what he gets though, somebody will be up in arms about it.

_Johnsy

Referee
Given the Judiciary will take into account the fact that the victim of the illegal play has had his career (and livelihood) ended, I am anticipating that McLean will receive a long-term ban ... I honestly would not be surprised to see the Judiciary hand out something like a 1 or 2 year ban.

A pertinent question about this thread is whether we are discussing what we think the Judiciary will actually do, or what we would do if we were in their position ... as it can arguably result in two very different outcomes.

wow deluxe.

2-4, weeks that is IMO

Johns Magic

Referee
5-6, although he probably gets 1-2 if there is no injury, I think the injury will factor in. The fact several more malicious dangerous throws have seen a much lower penalty I guess makes him a little unlucky. No matter what he gets though, somebody will be up in arms about it.

Yes it's a lose-lose situation for the judiciary.

McLean will be unlucky to get more than a few weeks, but the fact is that when you lift beyond the horizontal you bring luck into play. That is why I can't agree with no suspension at all and want a similar standard going forward.

_Johnsy

Referee
McLean's actions while not entirely revered by many it were also not illegal. Rather than handing Jordan an over-reactionary ban beacuse of a massively unfortunate situation, how about the NRL just coming out and initiating an immediate blanket ban of the lifting motion in a gang tackling situation.

Have they amended the rule about not being allowed to lift above the horizontal when making a tackle ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts