What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I just hope McLean FINALLY apologises! Well I hope he gets 8+ weeks and he is never the same again, deserves it. Fight for Alex!

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
McLean does look like he could be of Islander decent. ;-)

Maori mate, as are the Bromwich bros...
League is a bit behind rugby when it comes to kids grades - it's weight for age so there are limits to playing big boys in the lower grades. If they are over the weight they go up a grade or two but not so far they're disadvantaged playing with the older kids.
Not a bad system. having said that by the time they're in high school its free-for-all & there's still a huge weight discrepancy but they've all learnt more about the game.
League is behind rugby in outlawing some of the dangerous play but rugby has way more serious neck injuries than league (scrums & mauls) ...go figure

Yes it's a lose-lose situation for the judiciary.

McLean will be unlucky to get more than a few weeks, but the fact is that when you lift beyond the horizontal you bring luck into play. That is why I can't agree with no suspension at all and want a similar standard going forward.

No suspension will probably piss off the most people. It would essentially be saying that the tackle was perfectly legal.

MrAnonymous

Bench
I just hope McLean FINALLY apologises! Well I hope he gets 8+ weeks and he is never the same again, deserves it. Fight for Alex!

He already has apologized.
Also i would highly doubt he will ever be the same, This situation he is in would f**k any merkin in the head.

carcharias

Immortal
So
The word islander is racist.
That would mean aboriginal is too?
European - no good?
Asian- definite racist word?
Middle Eastern is a no no?
Would Polynesian also be racist?

I probably should have just said "big merkin".
Or that chauvinism ?

shiznit

Coach
I heard something in the media this week that he had to plead not guilty otherwise he could leave himself and the club really exposed if they were to be sued by McKinnon.

I know it's hard to think about those things when you have a poor bloke looking at life in a wheel chair... But I think the Storm have duty of care to McLean.

Tayjack

Juniors
If I saw 3 blokes pick up my kid and slam him into the ground I'd get a f**king gun.
Yet ... If we don't allow it in the name of sport we are soft?

Falling off a bike or being run over by a car is not a premiditated act.

Love the game
But now I know why my parents were worried about my safety.
That was well before the islanders started playing here.

Goodness me, and from what I can read you actually played- must of been for 10 minutes off the bench according to this dribble.

typicalfan

Coach
I hope the kid doesn't get too much of a holiday.Maybe a 4-6 weeks. Not just as punishment but for rehabilitation. Not many people would be willing to trade places with him right now.

typicalfan

Coach
Not all islander kids are big. Ben Roberts for example isn't big and I doubt he was big as a kid.

To go down that road or even implying is something I don't agree with. Weight/age limits have merit but it is simply due to the disparity in sizes in children, which isn't an islander v white thing.

_Johnsy

Referee
I heard something in the media this week that he had to plead not guilty otherwise he could leave himself and the club really exposed if they were to be sued by McKinnon.

I know it's hard to think about those things when you have a poor bloke looking at life in a wheel chair... But I think the Storm have duty of care to McLean.

Yes they do & his state of mind should be the top priority IMO, not trying to influence any sort of further/future legal action. I understand their reasoning, but the bigger picture of the injured player should come before pecuniary protection.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts