What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

innsaneink

Referee
Is it an insult to Alex Mackinnon and his family that Maclean and Melbourne Storm will be pleading not guilty tonight?

There is no way on earth he will be found not guilty

Just plead guilty and cop it on the chin, its all painful enough for those at the center of it all

Johns Magic

Referee
The precednt has already been set, you want to rewrite the precedent to send a message which is just ridiculous IMO. McLean deserves to be judged exactly the same as everyone else regardless of the emotion that surrounds this case. That's justice.

When the precedent allows people to become quadriplegics it is a bad bloody precedent. How do you not get that? Would you rather stick with a terrible precedent and increase the risk of things like this happening just so you can say you stuck with a precedent???

And if you want to talk about precedents, let's talk about Kade Snowden. McLean should get life if we are going by precedents, so I think you can drop that argument.

I'm not putting all the blame on McKinnon I'm just dissolving McLean of all the blame some people want him to feel. A large part of this incident is just bad luck no matter how much those grieving want to find someone to blame.

You said : "Mckinnon ducking is what did the damage, not Mclean's tackle".

Spare me with your "he has suffered enough mentally" crap. If he is not suspended, what sort of "precedent" does that set?

Yeah, a large part of the incident is bad luck...luck that came into play because of McLean's ILLEGAL tackle, which should be discouraged by a suspension. Are you intentionally being obtuse?

It is now obvious how we differ here.

I want to penalise all players who make illegal tackles beyond the horizontal that can have absolutely terrible consequences.

You want to let them go, and when another player has a horrible injury(or worse) as a result down the track, you will let the tackler go again because "the emotional trauma should be enough"...and thus the cycle of a terrible precedent continues.

I do not want more than a few weeks suspension here...but I cannot fathom how you think no suspension is the right way to go.

When these types of tackle start getting punished the way they deserve, wrestling coaches will stop coaching their players to use the tactic, and the game will become safer. Is that really worth less than a couple of weeks on the sideline for McLean?

No, this is a prime example of why this act is illegal.

I am not baying for blood. But to me, suggesting he receives 0 weeks is as ridiculous as saying (as I have heard some say) that he ought to be banned for the season.

The NRL hasn't punished this tackle for years. Why should they now began to because of a freak accident.

People saying its illegal need to get a grip and acknowledge that about 100 times a round its anything but

georgesnmith

Juniors
Who called them evil?

I don't think they compile such stats, and I think you know that. But how about you go watch a junior rugby league game yourself to see the size difference and kids coming off second best. If you can get your head out of the AFL section of the paper, that is.

Phil Gould talks about it all the time.

For the record, I don't think serious injuries like McKinnon's are likely to happen in junior RL.

league is a game for the toughest kids.

langer was smaller than most players but survived.

if some kids have problems tackling polynesians they shouldnt be in the sport, islanders make up a large and growing proportion of the sport

those kids should stick to touch or tag

_Johnsy

Referee
People saying its illegal need to get a grip and acknowledge that about 100 times a round its anything but

Just because it is not Policed does not by virtue make it legal.

Not indicating when you make a turn is illegal, Leaving your window open on a vehicle unattended in QLD is illegal, just because it is not policed/enforced does not make it legal.

Surely you're taking the piss or trolling.

Johns Magic

Referee
The NRL hasn't punished this tackle for years. Why should they now began to because of a freak accident.

Because even if this freak accident happens only once in 100 years it is too often, and the tackling technique is an ugly one that has come into prominence thanks to an ugly part of the game(the wrestle). It is now a bigger part of the game than ever before so I don't think it has been as examined by referees/the judicial system in the past.

I don't see the positives of keeping this type of tackle in the game? We have seen a number of lucky misses in the last year alone.

_Johnsy

Referee
If the charge is lifting the tackled player above the horizontal, thereby placing him in a dangerous position. Then without a doubt, but being Melbourne they'll fight it to the end.

Why they would take legal action so he could play last week was beyond me. If they were so concerned about his state of mind, I would have thought standing him down until it had been heard & finalised would have been a better decision. Allow him to spend time with the psych if he was in a bad place. Least of all I thought it was a bit disrespectful to the McKinnon family. Just MO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts