What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Savage_1

Juniors
I reckon they had some nerve pleading not guilty just an aside. Nothing to do with being insensitive to the situation, he has a right to defend himself and all that of course but did they seriously think he had any chance of being found not guilty? Mind-boggling if so, and they only made it worse for him in the end.

how is it mind boggling when so many similar tackles have not even received a penalty, let alone a suspension?

lockyno1

Post Whore
how is it mind boggling when so many similar tackles have not even received a penalty, let alone a suspension?

Unless I am mistaken you cannot use other tackles that are not penalised as comparison- that was the case last year, could be wrong if they have changed it this year.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Unless I am mistaken you cannot use other tackles that are not penalised as comparison- that was the case last year, could be wrong if they have changed it this year.

you're mistaken

it was said tonight the judiciary were shown footage of numerous grade 1's

magpie4ever

First Grade
player safety has also been mentioned as a reason as well

i remember reading an article about a penrith panthers player from the 70s ending up in wheelchair when a scrum collapsed on top of him

with all the hysteria about lifting in tackles im amazed no-one bats an eye lid about competitive scrums in union which are far more dangerous imo

dont know why the media dont focus on those especially given a number of spinal injuries which have resulted.

as i said before league is quite a safe sport. people need to get a grip.

Sorry mate, it was zero to do with safety and was to take the ball out of a referee's subjective opinion as to whether the ball was fed correctly or the hooker's feet were across before the feed.

You are right the John Farragher incident was in 78 at Henson Park, the non-competitive scrum did not come into vogue until the early 90s.

The_Savage_1

Juniors

I think you may be right, but that doesn't change the logic of my point. It was borderline and there was potential for him to be found not guilty.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Life ban? I've seen some absurd comments on this forum b4 but this tops everything.

You have no idea, it was not my belief.

But some on here were saying that the penalty should represent the injury of the player. Therefore, a logical conclusion to their view would be - a life ban.

Apey

Staff member

That is not even close to being a legitimate defence. Someone else got away with it so I should too? That never holds up.

There is not a single plausible defence they could have provided that would result in him being found not guilty. Plenty of arguments worth hearing about the grading but there is literally no grey area surrounding the illegality of the tackle. It was dumb of them to contest it imo, the 10 minute verdict says it all.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I think you may be right, but that doesn't change the logic of my point. It was borderline and there was potential for him to be found not guilty.

There was bugger all chance of a not guilty finding. That said he basically got 1 week for the tackle, so it wasn't a massive penalty. The 6 weeks extra was the result, so really it isn't that surprising.

insert.pause

First Grade

It's not like every other tackle because the guy who got tackled didn't get up again and may never again, that's the difference!

The real life judicial system recognises the impact of the wrong. Someone could get punched in the head and is able to get up and walk away, or they could get punched and never get up again. Should the sentence for the offender be the same? Of course not, the impact of the wrong matters!

The Eagle

Juniors
Well thankfully this saga is nearly over bar McKinnon's recovery and the storm's typical whine about being unfairly treated

The_Savage_1

Juniors
It's not like every other tackle because the guy who got tackled didn't get up again and may never again, that's the difference!

The real life judicial system recognises the impact of the wrong. Someone could get punched in the head and is able to get up and walk away, or they could get punched and never get up again. Should the sentence for the offender be the same? Of course not, the impact of the wrong matters!

Just because there is one major difference, it does not mean they are not similar.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing that the injury should play a part in the punishment in this case. I'm not really sure tbh, part of me says yes and part of me says no. It's a very tricky situation.

I think the punching example is not applicable in this case. There is no doubt that punching someone is intentional, and in that case I have no problem with the degree of injury playing some part in determining the punishment.

Even though this is a very interesting topic, I am hesitant to continue posting in fear of trivialising Alex's situation. Of course all this pales in comparison to what he is facing and my thoughts are with him and all his close ones.

goodplayer

Juniors
The Storm players are mostly at fault. Especially the leg lifter. Yes Mckinnon's actions contributed to the accident but once a man is off his legs and above the perpendicular you can't blame him for what happens.

Lifting with a hand between the legs is a big no no. Lifting above the perpendicular is a big no no. Whatever you say about Mckinnon, if he wasn't put in that position in the first place he wouldn't have been in a situation to get hurt.

There should be a serious multi week suspension here.

fully agree , very bad situation :(

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Alex McKinnon has been rubbed out of the game due to an illegal action by Jordan McLean. McLean should be rubbed out of the game as a result of those actions. Life time ban even though the act was considered "unintentional".

It is interesting how sporting fields become somewhat immune to the law in these situations.

Lets say McLean was driving a car and "unintentionally" ran into the path of Alex McKinnon on his motorcycle. McKinnon suffers identical injuries and is rendered a quadriplegic. In all probability, McLean would cop some serious charge and potentially a custodial sentence.

Basically every action that happens on a rugby league field would be considered an offence of some sort if conducted in the general community.

Alex McKinnon has been rubbed out of the game due to an illegal action by Jordan McLean. McLean should be rubbed out of the game as a result of those actions. Life time ban even though the act was considered "unintentional".

It is interesting how sporting fields become somewhat immune to the law in these situations.

Lets say McLean was driving a car and "unintentionally" ran into the path of Alex McKinnon on his motorcycle. McKinnon suffers identical injuries and is rendered a quadriplegic. In all probability, McLean would cop some serious charge and potentially a custodial sentence.

Basically every action that happens on a rugby league field would be considered an offence of some sort if conducted in the general community.

Yes, we know, that's why I say, sport not war, at times. However, if an attacking player is put in a position where his hips are above his shoulders when tackled, then it should be a penalty and a yellow card for the leg lifter. And obviously a red card if it's really careless.

Evenflow

Bench
I reckon they had some nerve pleading not guilty just an aside. Nothing to do with being insensitive to the situation, he has a right to defend himself and all that of course but did they seriously think he had any chance of being found not guilty? Mind-boggling if so, and they only made it worse for him in the end.

Respectfully disagree Apey. In essence pleading guilty would in some ways be an admittance of intent which clearly was not the case. I would say 99.9% if not 100% of tackles that go over the horizontal are very much accidental and there's absolutely no malice/intent in any of them whatsoever, so what player or club in their right mind would plead guilty when it was never their intention to deliberately hurt another player?

While I can see the angle you're coming from, I think If he plead guilty he's admitting to that and even blind Freddie can see that's obviously not the case. If they/he pleads guilty and he would've got at least twice as long if not more I reckon so I really can't see how the club made it worse for him. That's just my opinion though, given the nature of the judiciary and how varying the sentences are they dish out who knows how the f**k they would've ruled.

ggmu

Juniors
Thought he might get 5 weeks but 7 weeks is ok. Defiantly not the worst tackle I've seen but when this sort of injury occurs there is always gonna be a big ban.

Worst part of this is the storm fans saying it McKinnons fault cause he ducked his head. If I'm about to get my face rammed into the ground my reaction would be to duck my head also weather that's the right or wrong way doesn't matter as he should never have been placed in the position in the first place.
I was shown a very disturbing Facebook post earlier by the missus. Can't remember it word for word but the storm fan pretty much said f**k Ronald mcdonald he was just ducking his head to milk a penalty suck shit now he can't walk I only feel sorry for poor McLean who has to cop abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts