What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ali v Tyson ; who would win?

Ali would win, but imo the insinuation that these are the best two heavyweights of all time is off the mark. Tyson was the best for a short period of time, while Ali was one of at least 4 fighters in his era who were a good match for each other- Ali just happened to be the fan favourite, and very popular for a number of reasons, many of which weren't to do with boxing.

Ali beat Frazier, Foreman, Liston and Patterson. If you're trying to insinuate he wasn't the greatest then you're off. He had about 10 or so fights between the 4 of them and lost once. Ali is definitely one of the top 3 heavyweights of all time without question, Joe Louis another and maybe Jack Dempsey.

andrew057

First Grade
Ali
Holyfield
Louis
Frazier
Foreman
Liston
Dempsey
Holmes
Patterson
Tyson

Easily. Lewis would struggle to make the top 15 or 20 of all time.

Floyd Patterson? Give me a break. Lennox would tear him a new asshole.

Ali is the only fighter on that list that im 100% sure would beat Lennox, with Louis being the next toughest. The rest a highly debatable, except Patterson, he doesn't belong on that list.

My top 10 in terms of accomplishments and whod beat who looks like this:

Joe Louis
Muhammad Ali
Larry Holmes
Rocky Marciano
Jack Johnson
Lennox Lewis
Joe Frazier
Sonny Liston
George Foreman
Jack Dempsey

gUt

Coach
Posters who claim Tyson was only a puncher should watch him in his early career (i.e. in his prime) and marvel at the way he could come right inside without being touched BEFORE unloading his uppercuts or left hook.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Ali easily

too long a reach and Tyson wouldn't get inside his left jab, Ali would be too fast for him I reckon

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Floyd Patterson? Give me a break. Lennox would tear him a new asshole.

Ali is the only fighter on that list that im 100% sure would beat Lennox, with Louis being the next toughest. The rest a highly debatable, except Patterson, he doesn't belong on that list.

My top 10 in terms of accomplishments and whod beat who looks like this:

Joe Louis
Muhammad Ali
Larry Holmes
Rocky Marciano
Jack Johnson
Lennox Lewis
Joe Frazier
Sonny Liston
George Foreman
Jack Dempsey

Do you really think old 80-85kg heavyweights like Rocky Marciano could even compete with bigger modern heavyweights though?

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Tyson had more skills and speed than Frazier, and Frazier was a perfect style for Tyson imo. Tyson would've smoked Frazier early like Foreman did.

McLovin

Staff member
Tyson in his prime was devastating to say the least. Wouldn't count a prime Tyson out of any fight...

Jubes

Juniors
Posters who claim Tyson was only a puncher should watch him in his early career (i.e. in his prime) and marvel at the way he could come right inside without being touched BEFORE unloading his uppercuts or left hook.

Exactly, the Kevin Rooney trained Tyson had great head movement, and threw beautful combos to the body and head, he was nothing like the limited slugger most of you would have seen in the 90's. I still think Ali beats any version of him, but he'd probably have to climb off the floor to do so( which he did a number of times.)

Also, Lennox Lewis is easily in the top 10 heavys of all time, he was the lineal champion in one of the most competitive eras in Heavyweight history. Larry Holmes is also very underrated, he had the misfortune of being born 5 years too late, or 10 too early.

babyg

Juniors

This. Tyson was pretty untouchable in his prime.

How do you think Foreman would go against Ali if had his time again. I'm pretty certain he wouldn't have fallen for the rope-a-dope and would have smacked the shit out of him.

Ali - a bit too overrated, mainly by himself
Tyson - better than the slugger people think he is.
Lennis - was a big Lewis fan. Great record. Hard to tell how he would have gone against the other greats.

Just like football, reckon a modern day great would shit on an old time great. Too hard to compare.

t10do

Juniors
Just like football, reckon a modern day great would shit on an old time great. Too hard to compare.

not too sure about that. i guess it depends on what is "old time". all this talk of haye having a chance because of his punch.....i reckon foreman (for example) would have no issues then.and trust me, he DID try everything to smack the shit out of ali. i think it showed ali's tactical side.

also, is it me, or are heavyweights becoming more and more unfit/out of shape?

bluesbreaker

Bench
*edit* Sorry guys, wrong thread ;).

I can't agree that heavyweights have got more unfit. Watch the Rumble In The Jungle for instance, Foreman is f**ked by the end of the 2nd round.

Tyson got the skills, he wasn't just a brawler, what nonsense.

Last edited:

jessien

Juniors
Tyson was a far smarter boxer than anyone gave him credit for. He watched a lot of old footage, brought back some methods that had been long forgotten.

Latest posts