What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

American Football players in the NRL?

Bumble

First Grade
The league players that do get paid millions in union are hardly “fringe players”. How many young RL players never make the NRL? How many players make the NRL and play 50 games or less and are never heard of again?

The average length of an NRL career is 8 games. True story.

Squatdog

Juniors
The league players that do get paid millions in union are hardly “fringe players”. How many young RL players never make the NRL? How many players make the NRL and play 50 games or less and are never heard of again?

Uhhhhhh...what?

I never claimed the likes of $BW were 'fringe players'. They can easily change codes because Rugby and League are variations of the same sport.

There are literally thousands of allegedly superior Padball athletes who can't make the cut for the limited number of NFL spots and are earning peanuts in feeder leagues. Playing a season in Europe is basically throwing your hands up in realisation that you'll never make it and should settle for a paid holiday instead.

CMUX

The average length of an NRL career is 8 games. True story.

Yeah I thought it was something like that.

Uhhhhhh...what?

I never claimed the likes of $BW were 'fringe players'. They can easily change codes because Rugby and League are variations of the same sport.

There are literally thousands of allegedly superior Padball athletes who can't make the cut for the limited number of NFL spots and are earning peanuts in feeder leagues. Playing a season in Europe is basically throwing your hands up in realisation that you'll never make it and should settle for a paid holiday instead.

You said that the NFL fringe players can’t earn cash overseas whilst RL players can. It is an unfair comparison as fringe RL players also earn sweet FA.

Squatdog

Juniors

You said that the NFL fringe players can’t earn cash overseas whilst RL players can. It is an unfair comparison as fringe RL players also earn sweet FA.

No, I didn't.

Danish

Referee
I'd be curious to know how these were timed. Wikipedia has an interesting article about the 40 yard dash and timing methods/how they can affect overall times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40-yard_dash

What made me question them though was this:

I know there's a difference between running 40 yards and 100m but I can't imagine Matt Cooper could run a faster 40 than a guy who did a 9.85 in the Olympics. Unless he was just really slow when not on the juice.

As I said, the simple fact that players don't do it with proper starting conditions automatically throws their times into a question.

You also just have to look at stuff like the 50m official world record, which currently sits at around 5.6 seconds to know that both the NFL and NRL (and most sports that record this stuff) are completely full of sh*t.

However they are all full of equal amounts of sh*t so the times are still comparible in my books

Danish

Referee

Not exactly true.

I know of a fair few park rugby players who've gone and earned $100K per year playing in Japan and french rugby, and they weren't even turning out in Shute sheild in Oz.

Fringe NRL players like Cameron Phelps are also making a good living playing the in the ESL

Bumble

First Grade
Not exactly true.

I know of a fair few park rugby players who've gone and earned $100K per year playing in Japan and french rugby, and they weren't even turning out in Shute sheild in Oz.

Fringe NRL players like Cameron Phelps are also making a good living playing the in the ESL

...In the same way that NFL rejects can play CFL or Arena football.

Bumble

First Grade
What? Kurt Warner used to play it. Clearly there's at least a bit of money involved (most of the answers on google are quoting between 20k and 100k)

Danish

Referee
The old AFL had player salaries of $1800 per game.

the new AFL started this year has player salaries of $400 per game. They play 16 games per year so that is two tenths of f**k all.

Some players earn more obviously, however its a semi-pro sport now.

:edit: Found this article outlining just how amateur the salaries in Arena Football are now: http://www.asylum.com/2010/03/01/je...sh-the-dirt-on-arena-football-leagues-return/

Highest paid player in league gets $1000 per game (only 16 games this season) plus housing and meals :lol:

Last edited:

MightyBronco

Juniors
I think squatdog has obviously been on the receiving end of some rough treatment either by gridiron players or fans. He obviously has a huge axe to grind. He sounds very obsessed.

The truth is this argument can never be finalised - its all hypothetical. But i know one thing, there sure would be a lot of NRL players who would love the oportunity to crack into the NFL, but there would be NO NFL players who would want to lower themselves to the NRL.

You know your argument is rooted when the only person agreeing with you is Haynetrain. (who surely must be in the winning for the most geniused person on the internet award)

Danish

Referee
The truth is this argument can never be finalised - its all hypothetical. But i know one thing, there sure would be a lot of NRL players who would love the oportunity to crack into the NFL, but there would be NO NFL players who would want to lower themselves to the NRL.

That has zero to do with the sport and everything to do with the pay cheque.

Why is it that fans of american sport get so hung up on salary, as though its in any way related to athleticism?

Squatdog

Juniors
The old AFL had player salaries of $1800 per game.

the new AFL started this year has player salaries of $400 per game. They play 16 games per year so that is two tenths of f**k all.

Some players earn more obviously, however its a semi-pro sport now.

:edit: Found this article outlining just how amateur the salaries in Arena Football are now: http://www.asylum.com/2010/03/01/je...sh-the-dirt-on-arena-football-leagues-return/

Highest paid player in league gets $1000 per game (only 16 games this season) plus housing and meals :lol:

LOL...this is pure gold.

Once again, if Padball players are such superior athletes, SURELY they would be able to easily break into the professional Rugby circuit and earn six figures a season, rather than get paid peanuts in a semi-pro Padball bush league, right? Right?

"Oh, but ummmmmm...uhhhhhhhh....ummmmmmm...."

-Padball titty twisters

Squatdog

Juniors
I think squatdog has obviously been on the receiving end of some rough treatment either by gridiron players or fans. He obviously has a huge axe to grind. He sounds very obsessed.

Look at my very first post on this thread. I asked whether any Gridiron players had attempted to break into the NRL, with one specific example being a College Football player I remember turning out pre-season for the Canberra Raiders in 1993.

The VERY NEXT POST is some Padball fanboy swinging from the nuts of the NFL and claiming they would easily dominate League with their 'superior athletes'.

I'm merely responding to the massed outpouring of Padball jock-riding and ignorance. Tell me again how Padball players can earn big bucks in Europe (US$50 a game) or Arena Football (US$400 per game max)?

LOL!

Last edited:

rabbitohs

Juniors
Look at my very first post on this thread. I asked whether any Gridiron players had attempted to break into the NRL, with one specific example being a College Football player I remember turning out pre-season for the Canberra Raiders in 1993.

The VERY NEXT POST is some Padball fanboy swinging from the nuts of the NFL and claiming they would easily dominate League with their 'superior athletes'.

I'm merely responding to the massed outpouring of Padball jock-riding and ignorance. Tell me again how Padball players can earn big bucks in Europe (US$50 a game) or Arena Football (US$400 per game max)?

LOL!

By any logic, market force, athletic pride etc. If league players were as superior to NFL players as you say they are then surely, surely, surely, there would be a number of them leaving league to go and play gridiron and earn millions a year.

They leave league for AFL and union ffs. Why not gridiron? Particularly, as according to you, they wear pads and will never get hurt.

Squatdog

Juniors
By any logic, market force, athletic pride etc. If league players were as superior to NFL players as you say they are then surely, surely, surely, there would be a number of them leaving league to go and play gridiron and earn millions a year.

The obvious answer is 'why would they leave a comfortable career in League or Union for some obscure foreign sport they've never played before, where they would be required to learn an arcane set of regulations and wear a metric ton of body armour?'

They leave league for AFL and union ffs. Why not gridiron? Particularly, as according to you, they wear pads and will never get hurt.

LMFAO!!!

Rugby Union is a variation of the SAME SPORT.

Lambretta

First Grade
There was talk earlier of skinny nothings playing NFL

Like Adrian Peterson
6ft 1in tall (185 cm for those of you schooled in modern silly measurements)
98 kgs
10.33 seconds in 100 metres in high school

adrianpeterson.jpg

There's the skinny little twerp.
He wouldnt last 5 seconds on a football field up against the likes of men mountains such as Billy Slater or Steve Turner.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
There was talk earlier of skinny nothings playing NFL

Like Adrian Peterson
6ft 1in tall (185 cm for those of you schooled in modern silly measurements)
98 kgs
10.33 seconds in 100 metres in high school

adrianpeterson.jpg

There's the skinny little twerp.
He wouldnt last 5 seconds on a football field up against the likes of men mountains such as Billy Slater or Steve Turner.

lol, yeah he's not skillful or big enough to lay league:lol: yeah big bad scary Willie Mason, Jason Ryles would kill him!:lol:

Or what about Buffalo first round bust from 2009 Aaron Maybin - he hasn't even made the bench since rd 2, yet he's more ripped then anything in the NRL, and this guy cannot even make the bench for the 1-8 Buffalo bills

aaron-maybin.jpg

RL - world famous in NSW and QLD.