What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

American Football players in the NRL?

fourplay

Juniors
LMFAO!!!!

The Euro Bowl COLLAPSED in 2007 after the NFL was losing an average of US$32m a year and was forced to admit that they lied about the attendance figures. Five of the remaining six teams were based in Germany because much of the crowd were AMERICAN SERVICEMEN!

Padball in Europe is a JOKE. The single biggest and most successful club in Germany (the Berlin Adler) is AMATEUR except for a handful of ring-ins who earn the princely sum of US$50 a week:

"The Sportpark occasionally hosts soccer but is best known as the home of the Berlin Adler (adler is German for eagle), one of the most successful franchises in the history of the German Football League. On Sundays in summer and early fall 1,000 or so loyal Adler fans gather at the stadium to support their team. Public address announcer Roman Motzkus -- also the team's financial officer and public relations director -- keeps the crowd engaged with cheers in German and English. Near the concession stands, which serve up grilled sausage and steak sandwiches, female cheerleaders sell German baked goods to raise money for uniforms and travel.

In the GFL, U.S. players are paid for playing in 12 league games, plus two games in a Europe-wide competition.They're also provided with a car, accommodations, meals and health insurance for the season. The cash is not enough live on -- as little as 100 euros per month (around $146 dollars) in some cases -- so the majority of U.S. players in Germany and elsewhere in Europe return to the States after the season to pursue other playing opportunities or to work outside of football.

European players have a much different experience from their American teammates. Most make no money -- in fact, some teams charge dues to Europeans to be part of the club. ''There are European guys on my team with jobs outside of football and families," says Chris Calaycay, a Hawaii native who coaches the Vienna Vikings in Austria. "Football is something they do in their spare time. This is as amateur as you can get."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/the_bonus/10/01/football.europe/1.html

LOL!

lol good one. Just shows what an idiot he is. They'd rather go play for free in front of no one in a non-existent league than earn millions of dollars.

College Football - Providing the most athletic superhuman shelve stackers in history. :lol:

Red Bear

Referee
TBH i'd like to see what kind of stuff players like Marshall, Lockyer etc could do if they had guys blocking for them, but obviously playing WITHOUT a shepherd rule is an important part of league.

Some of the athletes are freaks, yes, but alot of the skills come from growing up playing that sport. Im sure if guys like Inglis had grown up playing NFL they'd be pretty damn good, much like some of the NFL guys could be excellent league players had they grown up over here. But neither would make a successful switch.

I did like the quote from someone, that football combines the two worst elements of American culture - violence and board meetings

aqua_duck

Coach
Who are the two greatest Running Backs of all time?

Oh that's right:

Barry Sanders - 173cm 91kg

Emmit Smith - 175cm 95kg

Let's have a look at the star Wide Recievers of the 2010 Superbowl champions:

Lance Moore - 175cm 85kg(!)

Courtney Roby - 183cm 86kg(!)

Devery Henderson - 183cm 91kg

LOL!
Sanders and Smith are players from 20 years ago, how many league outside backs from the 80's and early 90's would have been over 6ft tall? Besides the greatest NFL running back of all time was Jim Brown 188cm and 105kg. Someone's height is hardly an indicator of their athleticism or ability, Matt Utai was barely 165cm tall and yet was one of the hardest wingers to tackle in the league in his hey day.

I like how you mention the saints 'star' wide receivers and you don't mention their best and only 1000 yard a season wide receiver (Marques Colston) who is 193cm and 102kg, I mean Lance Moore 'star' wide receiver, the guy played 7 games last year all as a reserve, that'd be like me describing Nick Emmett as a star centre.

Don't get me wrong there are a few decent small receivers in the NFL, guys like Wes Welker and Steve Smith but catergorising guys like Calvin Johnson and Brandon Marshall 'skinny twerps' is hardly accurate

aqua_duck

Coach
LOL...he's the one Wide Receiver in the squad who actually weighs over 100kg.

Let's have a look at the devastating New Orleans Running Backs who rushed the most yards in the Superbowl:

Reggie Bush - 183cm, 91kg
Pierre Thomas - 180cm, 95kg

These are the same guys who Padball titty twisters claim would be unstoppable in Rugby or League???
no one ever mentioned Pierre Thomas, he's a decent team guy but hardly a superstar. A guy like Reggie Bush is an athletic freak, even though he'd only be average size, his speed and agility are world class, he runs 4.33 over 40 yards (put it this way Justin Gatlin turned up at a UT pro day a few years back and ran only a 4.41), and Bush recorded a 40.5 inch vertical at his combine, thats more than any fumbleballer has ever recorded at their draft camp.

stormbati

Bench
Sanders and Smith are players from 20 years ago, how many league outside backs from the 80's and early 90's would have been over 6ft tall? Besides the greatest NFL running back of all time was Jim Brown 188cm and 105kg. Someone's height is hardly an indicator of their athleticism or ability, Matt Utai was barely 165cm tall and yet was one of the hardest wingers to tackle in the league in his hey day.

I like how you mention the saints 'star' wide receivers and you don't mention their best and only 1000 yard a season wide receiver (Marques Colston) who is 193cm and 102kg, I mean Lance Moore 'star' wide receiver, the guy played 7 games last year all as a reserve, that'd be like me describing Nick Emmett as a star centre.

Don't get me wrong there are a few decent small receivers in the NFL, guys like Wes Welker and Steve Smith but catergorising guys like Calvin Johnson and Brandon Marshall 'skinny twerps' is hardly accurate

How dare you not mention Desean Jackson! He's a skinny twerp but in my very biased opinion the best receiver in the NFL.

Squatdog

Juniors
lol good one. Just shows what an idiot he is. They'd rather go play for free in front of no one in a non-existent league than earn millions of dollars.

College Football - Providing the most athletic superhuman shelve stackers in history.

Exactly.

If Padball players were really that good, they could be earning six figures playing Rugby or League internationally, seeing as they're such 'superior athletes'.

Instead, their only option is to get paid peanuts in feeder competitions, the CFL or have a semi-pro paid holiday in Europe playing in empty council parks. If you want a good laugh, look at some of the European Padball highlights on Youtube. Here is the London Blitz (biggest and most successful British team) against 'international' competition in the very pinnacle of the Euro Padball league:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNr9w36xCnc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2bjjtUVm0o

LOL!

Emmit Smith retired in 2004.

Barry Sanders retired in 1998.

Less lies, please.

Squatdog

Juniors
But wait, it gets even better!

Here is an 'international' match between two of the European Padball superpowers (Britain and Sweden), in a clash that represents the elite tier of global Padball:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BG9YDs0nTk

Not only is the game played on a deserted council park in the middle of nowhere with literally no-one in attendance, the British players can't even afford the same colour helmets!

LMFAO!!!

Oh my sides...

Meanwhile, there was 82,000 in attendance at Croke Park (Ireland) for the Rugby Union Heineken Cup semi-final:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL3Dz_h0Eeo&feature=related

Which would you rather be playing in?

Doug2234

First Grade
Out of my whole posts all your could comment on is the Euro part which i made a mistake on....

o well. crapp on about the Euro as much as u want. Whatever helps it "look" like you know what your talking about...

Squatdog

Juniors
Out of my whole posts all your could comment on is the Euro part which i made a mistake on....

o well. crapp on about the Euro as much as u want. Whatever helps it "look" like you know what your talking about...

No, I completely destroyed your entire argument by pointing out that Padball outside of the NFL is a JOKE and vastly less well paid than either Rugby or League.

Once again, if fringe Padball players were really that good, they could be earning six (possibly seven) figures in European Rugby.

Last edited:

Danish

Referee
Danish different type of speed. light footed and quick eye / hand co-ordination... i dont know if Ron Jeremy was talking about there sprinting pace

His exact words were that they could outrun any forward in the NRL.

I suppose in a 1 yard race they might have a chance, but otherwise no

Danish

Referee
Just thought I'd post up some 40m times of NRL players posted on this forum from 2005.

Keep in mind that 40 metres is 10% further than 40 yards.

Brisbane
B: Brent Tate, 89kg - 4.70
F: Tom Learoyd, 115kg - 4.88

Bulldogs
B: Luke Patton, 86kg - 4.89
F: Sony-Bill Willliams, 102kg - 4.81

Canberra
B: Mark Mclinden, 83kg - 4.75
F: Michael Hodgson, 102kg - 5.00

Cronulla
B: Matt Rieck, 86kg - 4.30 * NRL's quickest
F: Paul Gallen, 102kg - 4.80

Dragons
B: Matt Cooper, 92kg - 4.36
F: Tony Jensen, 96kg - 5.10

Manly
B: Brett Stewart, 86kg 4.75
F: Anthony Watmough, 94kg - 4.83

Melbourne
B: Billy Slater, 87kg - 4.71
F: Ryan Hoffman, 96kg - 4.95

Newcastle
B: Timana Tahu, 92kg - 4.82
F: Michael Ennis, 89kg - 4.95

North QLD
B: Mat Sing, 86kg - 4.85
F: Daniel Strickland, 100kg - 5.15

Parramatta
B: Luke Burt, 88kg / Eric Grothe, 100kg - 4.80
F: Michael Vella, 107kg - 5.00

Penrith
B: Rhys Whesser, 85kg - 4.68
F: Luke Priddas, 90kg - 4.80

Souths
B: Matt Riddle, ? - 4.88
F: Ashley Harrison, 95kg - 4.97

Sydney Roosters
B: Ryan Cross, 95kg - 4.68
F: Craig Wing, 86kg - 4.75 *Quickest Forward

Warriors B: Justin Murphy, 80kg - 4.88
F: Wairangi Koopu, 100kg - 5.00

West Tigers
B: Shane Elford, 96kg - 4.36
F: Dene Halatau, 92kg - 4.96

Looks like most clubs have people pretty on par with the so-call "freaks" of the NFL

CMUX

No, I completely destroyed your entire argument by pointing out that Padball outside of the NFL is a JOKE and vastly less well paid than either Rugby or League.

Once again, if fringe Padball players were really that good, they could be earning six (possibly seven) figures in European Rugby.

So what if grid iron is “a joke” as you put it, outside of the NFL. RL is probably seen in a similar vein outside of the pacific and England. Lol at you bringing pay checks outside of America into the argument. The lowest paid NFL team probably earns more than the whole of the NRL put together, maybe even the super league!

As for the fringe player’s argument, possibly they are playing outside of America in the hope of earning an NFL contract. Think of it as the reverse of the situation we have here. An NRL player will threaten to leave the code as a negotiation ploy. A grid iron player could try the same thing except they would be laughed at.

As for the general argument of RL players VS NFL players. The sports are way too different to make a comparison. I think it is fair to say that both Australia and USA have the infrastructure and sport programs to be successful at the alternate code if they were willing to spend the money…..

Danish

Referee
Well you have to bare in mind that most timed tests like this are clocked by hand (as the 40 yard dash is in the NFL) and start when the player wants and not by a gun.

Allegedly no one is capable of a reaction time under 0.1 of a second, so you need to tack on 0.2 of a second to any of these NFL or NRL times (0.1 second to add the runner's reaction to the gun, 0.1 of a second to counter the timer's reaction to the runner leaving the blocks).

Even so that time is still incredibly quick

BLKOUT!

Juniors
Snip

Looks like most clubs have people pretty on par with the so-call "freaks" of the NFL

I'd be curious to know how these were timed. Wikipedia has an interesting article about the 40 yard dash and timing methods/how they can affect overall times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40-yard_dash

What made me question them though was this:

Justin Gatlin who ran 9.85 s for a gold medal at the 2004 Olympic 100 metres, before being banned from the sport for abuse of performance drugs, has a verified 40-yard dash best of 4.42 s.

I know there's a difference between running 40 yards and 100m but I can't imagine Matt Cooper could run a faster 40 than a guy who did a 9.85 in the Olympics. Unless he was just really slow when not on the juice.

Squatdog

Juniors
So what if grid iron is “a joke” as you put it, outside of the NFL. RL is probably seen in a similar vein outside of the pacific and England. Lol at you bringing pay checks outside of America into the argument. The lowest paid NFL team probably earns more than the whole of the NRL put together, maybe even the super league!

As for the fringe player’s argument, possibly they are playing outside of America in the hope of earning an NFL contract. Think of it as the reverse of the situation we have here. An NRL player will threaten to leave the code as a negotiation ploy. A grid iron player could try the same thing except they would be laughed at.

As for the general argument of RL players VS NFL players. The sports are way too different to make a comparison. I think it is fair to say that both Australia and USA have the infrastructure and sport programs to be successful at the alternate code if they were willing to spend the money…..

League players have the option of pulling a $BW and getting paid millions in Union.

Fringe Padball players (the 97% not drafted out of College) get paid peanuts in the hope of breaking into the NFL, where they would slot into a reserve spot earning less than most top Rugby players.

Well you have to bare in mind that most timed tests like this are clocked by hand (as the 40 yard dash is in the NFL) and start when the player wants and not by a gun.

Allegedly no one is capable of a reaction time under 0.1 of a second, so you need to tack on 0.2 of a second to any of these NFL or NRL times (0.1 second to add the runner's reaction to the gun, 0.1 of a second to counter the timer's reaction to the runner leaving the blocks).

Even so that time is still incredibly quick

A lot of these test results are HIGHLY dubious.

Also, players 'cheat' by rocking back and forwards to generate starting momentum.

CMUX

League players have the option of pulling a $BW and getting paid millions in Union.

Fringe Padball players (the 97% not drafted out of College) get paid peanuts in the hope of breaking into the NFL, where they would slot into a reserve spot earning less than most top Rugby players.
[/QUOT]

The league players that do get paid millions in union are hardly “fringe players”. How many young RL players never make the NRL? How many players make the NRL and play 50 games or less and are never heard of again?

Latest posts