What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Johns - are you upset?

Danish

Referee
snoopster77 said:
And what if Newcastle had put 40 on Parramatta? I guess it the point scoring would have been the icing on the cake huh?

I'm sure he would have been in a better mood and accepted the ball in the nice glass cabinet.

I'm also quite sure he doesn't give a stuff about the record.

snoopster77 said:
And you wouldn't have cared that the opposing team, coached by the old record holder, had gone to great lengths to honour an player from another club?

All would mean much less than the thrashing he just received

snoopster77 said:
Club passion? He was being a spoilt, selfish brat.

I'd say it was him caring more about Newcastle than Parramatta or his own personal milestone.

snoopster77 said:
Good on him for showing disrespect for JT, Parramatta and the fans as well I guess?

Again, why should he care more about them than Newcastle or its fans?? I'm sure they would have been delighted to see their captain come out and celebrate getting 40 put on them.

snoopster77 said:
Why, because he didn't accept the game ball from the old record holder? How does that equate to caring about his club. He was licking his wounds and didn't want the world to see it.

Yes. He was obviously devastated about the thrashing his team just got and didn't particularly care about some meaningless record he just broke. Probably thinking more about his dodgey performance against a joke of a side like Parramatta.

snoopster77 said:
Just when you thought the Newcastle fans were fair minded along come this latest bunch of Joey tragics.

I'm a Roosters fan, mate. You don't need to be a "joey tragic" to understand why he might put his club ahead of himself.

eelsta

Bench
Danish said:
If i were in Johns's position i really doubt i would be caring about a meaningless point scoring record after getting 40 put on you by one of the worst teams in the comp.

Good on him for actually showing some club passion. Frankly i would think less of him if he were to come out and be all smiles for the presentation. At least we know he geniunely cares about his club.

Afterall, no player is bigger than the game.

coming from a roosters fan:lol: :lol: :lol:

Danish

Referee
eelsta said:
coming from a roosters fan:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm sorry are we living in a fantasy land where winning 6 games all year is good??

Easts are terrible. And parramatta are no better. the mere fact you have to resort to saying "at least we are ahead of Easts" means you are sh*t. Because being ahead of the roosters right now is only marginally harder than outwitting a 2 year old.

Wests is Best

Juniors
He was hurting no more than certain Clive Churchill medalists from losing Grand Final teams were when they graciously accepted their medals. For the record they were Brad Clyde and Brad Mackay.
All Johns had to do was accept the thing and say he would swap the record for the 2 points if he could, but unfortunately he is not that big a man.

Andrew Johns - YOU OWE THE GAME PLENTY, MATE. Grow up.

eelsta

Bench
Danish said:
I'm sorry are we living in a fantasy land where winning 6 games all year is good??

Easts are terrible. And parramatta are no better. the mere fact you have to resort to saying "at least we are ahEasts"ead of means you are sh*t. Because being ahead of the roosters right now is only marginally harder than outwitting a 2 year old.

Where did i say that :?

Danish

Referee
eelsta said:
Where did i say that :?

I would assume that highlighting my "one of the worst teams in the comp" line is some sort of a dig at Easts current form (or lack there of).

Simply saying that Parra are doing no better.

eelsta

Bench
yes i am aware of that, oh and by the way you'll be hard pressed to find me in any rooster bashing thread!!

Misty Bee

First Grade
Parra are doing better. They flogged the team with the highest points scorer ever! Oh yeah, I forgot. Meaningless record. :roll:

Oddly enough, had Jason Taylor managed a single goal in the 2001 GF, Johns would not have broken the record at Parra on Saturday.

The other odd thing about that record is the Eels link.

Graham Eadie set it at 1917 points playing for Manly v Parra in the 1983 GF.

Mick Cronin set it in the 1986 GF playing for Parra v Canterbury

Daryl Halligan broke Cronin's record in a Dogs jumper, from memory scoring a try that went to the video ref. I recall Laurie Daley walking over to shake his hand. Halligan, like Cronin reached it in 10 seasons.

Jason Taylor broke it playing for Parra.

Andrew Johns broke it against Parra. Unlike the others, he sooked off the field.

I'm sure when Tim Smith breaks it in 2015 after Parra beat the Brian Smith coached Knights 46-12 in the preliminary final, Joey won't be there for the rpesentation either.

Then again we think of Greg Norman watching others don the green jacket, Wayne Pearce's speech after the '89 GF and especially Brian Smith warmly congratulating Joey after the 2001 GF.

Sook. End of story.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Does it annoy or upset you that Joey first of all allowed himself to break the record in such a dire game (i.e. should he have given the 72nd minute kick to someone else and perhaps waited til next week or something?)?

Secondly, does it ire anybody that the Parramatta club went to the trouble of organising a presentation with him & JT after the game, but the sook scarpered and didn't face the presentation? I can understand maybe why but it was pretty poor form on his behalf.

Yes on the first count. I think that the event should have been done in better circumstances, and probably in front of a home crowd. Joey seems to not realise how much he means to the city - and how much it would have meant to a full EnergyAustralia Stadium to see him break the record.

Secondly, I think it was great that Parramatta organised something to commemorate the occasion. I'm disappointed that Joey decided against accepting the award, but I can't blame him either.

Snoop

Coach
Wests is Best said:
He was hurting no more than certain Clive Churchill medalists from losing Grand Final teams were when they graciously accepted their medals. For the record they were Brad Clyde and Brad Mackay.
All Johns had to do was accept the thing and say he would swap the record for the 2 points if he could, but unfortunately he is not that big a man.

Best point this whole thread. One which no one has argued against too BTW.

Kiwi

First Grade
To the people defending Johns.

If the score line was reversed, and the Knights touched up the Eels, and JT and the Eels decided not to do the presentation and used all the excuses being thrown around here about passion ect for cancelling it after losing, there would be an uproar from the very same fans about not showing Johns the respect he deserves, the Eels and JT being sooks and sore losers ect. To these fans I say, when Johns retires , join him.

To guys like RBK whom I have had run ins with in the past, this time I tip my hat to you, well done on honest posts.

Johns Magic

Referee
Kiwi said:
To the people defending Johns.

If the score line was reversed, and the Knights touched up the Eels, and JT and the Eels decided not to do the presentation and used all the excuses being thrown around here about passion ect for cancelling it after losing, there would be an uproar from the very same fans about not showing Johns the respect he deserves, the Eels and JT being sooks and sore losers ect. To these fans I say, when Johns retires , join him.

To guys like RBK whom I have had run ins with in the past, this time I tip my hat to you, well done on honest posts.

To be fair, if Johns had accepted the prize, chances are a heap of blokes would be on here carrying on about how he laps up the attention when things go his way.

Kiwi

First Grade
Johns Magic said:
To be fair, if Johns had accepted the prize, chances are a heap of blokes would be on here carrying on about how he laps up the attention when things go his way.

To be honest, had he accepted the prize after a such a loss, he probably would have gained more respect from those that don't like him. I certainly would have more respect for him had he done the right thing. All he has done is prove that off the field and when he isn't winning he is a sore loser at best.

Johns Magic

Referee
Kiwi said:
To be honest, had he accepted the prize after a such a loss, he probably would have gained more respect from those that don't like him. I certainly would have more respect for him had he done the right thing. All he has done is prove that off the field and when he isn't winning he is a sore loser at best.

It would've looked hypocritical when he refused to talk to reporters after a loss just weeks ago.

Mr Saab

Referee
Johns Magic said:
It would've looked hypocritical when he refused to talk to reporters after a loss just weeks ago.

This is what i dont understand. I know he hates to lose, but seriously, these are club games!! He should talk to the media after a loss
It is not like he has not lost origin games, test matches and major semi finals.

CrazyEel

Bench
Easy to handle yourself when all is going your way but the class of a true champion is how they handle themselves when faced with adversity. Johns has demonstrated yet once again he has no class at all.

Johns Magic

Referee
CrazyEel said:
Easy to handle yourself when all is going your way but the class of a true champion is how they handle themselves when faced with adversity. Johns has demonstrated yet once again he has no class at all.

I'd describe becoming the leading point-scorer ever as something "going his way". He could've crowed about it, but he did the exact opposite, putting the team before himself.

I'm not saying it's right, but you can hardly label him as selfish for what he did.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Johns Magic said:
I'm not saying it's right, but you can hardly label him as selfish for what he did.

What a load of sh*t.

Someone take the blinkers off this horse.

Johns Magic

Referee
Timmah said:
What a load of sh*t.

Someone take the blinkers off this horse.

Bad sportsmanship and selfishness are two completely different things. Someone get this guy a dictionary.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
His show of bad sportsmanship was completely selfish. He wasn't happy, therefore he ruined everyone elses experience. How you can think it wasn't selfish is beyond me, and I'm guessing a lot of other people here too.

You really will find any way to defend this classless player won't you?