What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Johns - are you upset?

innsaneink

Referee
He answered Vossy very quickly...then promptly went on to give all these excuses as to why he didnt, shouldnt, wouldnt or couldnt be there, all which in fact contradicted his statement that Joey didnt know it was happening.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Ummm... Johns knew about it and did apologise in today's paper. Some people are blind in their defence of him I swear.

VWS RABK, I'm glad you have the red and blue goggles off on this one, he was pretty shocking.

Slappy

Juniors
Johns let his whole club and fan base down with that poor effort!
I can understand how a once in a generation footballer who sets such a high standard for himself, was embarrassed by the occasion, but when people put effort in to honour your achievements, you gotta' show up.

Just because he's an outstanding player, doesn't mean he's more gutted after a loss or bad performance than your average player!
No excuses Joey!

strewth_mate

Bench
I bet if the Eels lost by 50, Taylor still would've been out there with a smile on his face.

Precisely.

About the kick, he should have taken it in any circumstances if fit, no question, and I do think he was always going to. The same argument went around when El Masri was chasing the consecutive goal record. In this case he just didn't want his big occasion spoilt by a loss.

Well too bad Joey.

Compare his reaction to that of the post-match MOTM interview against the Eagles where he was top of the world. Honestly his mere presence just gives us fans a bad name; he is a good player but is an arrogant prick that deserves the criticism as much as the praise. He doesn't seem to realise this, and opposition fans don't seem to realise that Knights fans do realise this. I'm frankly ashamed that my captain can continue to misdirect passion into being a spoilt brat.

First thing I thought was that if he gets a bad reaction from the Newcastle media or supporters he might feel unfairly judged and throw a tantrum at the club. If he's that temperamental he needs to wake up. It's not good enough to think we have to ignore attitude problems because we feel we need to keep him happy. I won't excuse his behaviour.

bartman

Immortal
Timmah said:
Does it annoy or upset you that Joey first of all allowed himself to break the record in such a dire game (i.e. should he have given the 72nd minute kick to someone else and perhaps waited til next week or something?)?
No, doesn't worry me. Records come when records come, no point engineering them, that's a recipe for disaster and would smack of arrogance on the record breaker's part. Good on him for taking the conversion when it came, gets all the hype over and done with.

Timmah said:
Secondly, does it ire anybody that the Parramatta club went to the trouble of organising a presentation with him & JT after the game, but the sook scarpered and didn't face the presentation? I can understand maybe why but it was pretty poor form on his behalf.
Yeah, that worries me a little. As someone who has gotten so much out of the game (eg continued livelihood) and played to such a level that such a record is broken, you do have an obligation to the games fans to do that little something extra. Might be an inconvenience but you owe three minutes of your time and a brief smile for the fans and cameras in my book. Then you can move on, and there'd be no needs for threads or discussions like these.

Angry_eel

First Grade
Ok i don't care about Johns but i like what one of them on the Footy Show said. Joey has beaten Parra in a semi final and in a grand final, yet still they managed to treat him with the respect he deserved. Good on us. :clap::clap::clap:

Brutus

Referee
Mr Saab said:
He might be a league lover, but that doesnt mean he is absolved of criticism with regards to some of the rubbish that comes out of his mouth.
Freedman is alot smarter than TK

Freedman is a know-all. He may have had a better education than T.K, but he knows jack sh*t about most sports with rugby league topping the list.

Johns Magic

Referee
Timmah said:
No, I'm not addressing Joey, I'm addressing Knights, and RL supporters as a whole.

Does it annoy or upset you that Joey first of all allowed himself to break the record in such a dire game (i.e. should he have given the 72nd minute kick to someone else and perhaps waited til next week or something?)?

Secondly, does it ire anybody that the Parramatta club went to the trouble of organising a presentation with him & JT after the game, but the sook scarpered and didn't face the presentation? I can understand maybe why but it was pretty poor form on his behalf.

This isn't an "attack Joey" thread - I'm just interested in people's thoughts on how last Knight played out, I'm sure that's not how anybody from the Steel City wanted it to happen.

First of all, clearly it was a shot at him if you call him a "sook".

Secondly, yes it was a bit disappointing that he didn't accept the ball. Usuually I couldn't give a flying f**k when he avoids reporters and such after a loss, because I recognise that he is frustrated with the result. However the fact that the Parramatta club went to the effort of organising an award for him, surpassing their obligations to the visiting side, made this a bit harder to swallow. Saturday night was a pretty poor effort on his behalf.

Raider_69

Post Whore
i doubt they will lose any sleep over it JM, nor will your merkin of a 'hero'
admit it, rbk has, pathetic and childish actions by johns, he takes poor sportsmanship to an entirely new level

Johns Magic

Referee
Raider_69 said:
i doubt they will lose any sleep over it JM, nor will your merkin of a 'hero'
admit it, rbk has, pathetic and childish actions by johns, he takes poor sportsmanship to an entirely new level

It was poor sportsmanship, I thought I established that. Apologies all round if I didn't rip into him completely, I thought enough of that had been done in this thread already. I was trying to offer a different perspective.

It was a piss-poor effort, and I would have hoped for much more from him.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Johns Magic said:
First of all, clearly it was a shot at him if you call him a "sook".

Bait not taken.

I don't expect you to rip into him, but it's good to see some Knights fans look at it with some perspective, which you've done.

Bernster

Juniors
Raider_69 said:
and you'd be right
he laps it up when things go his way, but he carry's on like a spoilt child when they do, he is a great player, but frankly a pathetic, merkin of a bloke

cant wait till the tosser retires, i only hope when he does i dont have to listen to him dribble sh*t in all media outlets
retire with grace - re: fittler

Just like his long lost brother - Shane Warne...

Mr Saab

Referee
Angry_eel said:
he's very stupid i got to admit. why wouldnt you rather break the record at Newcastle.

You dont pick and choose when you break records...makes a mockery of our sport.

Angry_eel

First Grade
Mr Saab said:
You dont pick and choose when you break records...makes a mockery of our sport.
well what would have been better. a hammering at parra and breaking the record or sellout at newcastle and breaking a record. i know which one i'll chose.

borat

Bench
Angry_eel said:
well what would have been better. a hammering at parra and breaking the record or sellout at newcastle and breaking a record. i know which one i'll chose.

What if he declined the kick and the following set his knee gets broken in 10 different places and rubs him out of the game.

Lego_Man

First Grade
He probably thought they'd flog Parra and that waiting and doing it against the Storm was too big a risk...guess that backfired on him.