What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Johns decison is made - Warrington over the 'roos

Grail

Juniors
Razor said:
You just said no player should get special treatment. So why would Johns be treated any differently to the players of the past who have withdrawn from test matches for non-injury reasons?

hahaha
It's special treatment if he decides to withdraw to play a club match. There are grounds that a player can withdraw from for non-injury reasons that don't give them special treatment, ala compasionate leave.

If any other Australian rep wanted to play a club game instead of playing for Australia, where would that get him? It'd get him out of the squad and he'd be replaced for good. Why should Johns be any different?

Razor said:
Yet you don't have a problem with any of the players doing so?

Wrong. I do have a problem with it.
I have a problem with Sione Faumuina saying he'll sit out, I've a problem with anyone who decides that they don't want to play for their country because they'd rather play club footy, or sit off in the corner and have a wank. Injuries or special circumstances (such as Cayless not wanting to travel to the UK coz he wants to be there for the birth of his kid), withstanding, all players should either be eligible for rep footy or they are no longer considered.

Grail

Juniors
Knight76 said:
No, because its Andrew johns, and it seems to be the tall poppy syndrome at work.

It's not the tall poppy syndrome. It's a case of Johns thinks he is bigger than the game. I'd say exactly the same thing if it was Luke Burt.

Knight76

Juniors
It's not the tall poppy syndrome. It's a case of Johns thinks he is bigger than the game. I'd say exactly the same thing if it was Luke Burt.

No, you think johns thinks he is bigger than the game. It is more likely he is doing something he has always wanted to do and dosnt want to miss doing in his career. For the cost to him of playing one game for australia.

Grail

Juniors
He does think he is bigger than the game if he thinks he should get this special dispensation. Why should he? He has had the chance to it in previous years. He has the chance to do it next year or the year after.

Darth Bobo

Brett Kenny was faked an injury to not for play for Australia, after a while playing at an elite level and playing for your country can wear a bit thin.

I don't agree with John's decision but I can't understand the amount of critisism he is drawing from the League community to which he has given SO MUCH to over the years.

Razor

Coach
If any other Australian rep wanted to play a club game instead of playing for Australia, where would that get him? It'd get him out of the squad and he'd be replaced for good. Why should Johns be any different?

The 8 players who withdrew from the test squad in 1996 saying "I couldn't care less about playing for Australia. I want to concentrate on club football". None of them were banned from playing again, and they even said that they couldn't care less about missing the game. Johns does care about playing for Australia. So why should someone who does care about playing for Australia be banned for life for missing 1 game, but 8 players who don't care about playing for Australia free to return?

You're a hypocrit. Saying it's okay for those 8 players to do it, but not Johns.

Grail

Juniors
Darth Bobo said:
I don't agree with John's decision but I can't understand the amount of critisism he is drawing from the League community to which he has given SO MUCH to over the years.

I've been waiting for someone to say something like this.

Johns has given the game so much, why can't we cut him a little slack. If it wasn't for the game of Rugby League, Johns would be living in a fibro shack. He has got plenty out of the game. He has a career in TV waiting for him after he retires. He will have every written media outlet baying to get a hold of him for a couple insightful remarks.

He has gotten plenty out of the game. He will continue to get plenty out of the game.

And as for Razor calling me a hypocrit, don't be a fool. I'll reiterate an earlier comment.

"I'd say the same thing if it was Luke Burt"

I don't care who the player(s) is/are. If you cheapen the Australian jersey, you never get to wear it again. I don't care if you're a fringe first grader or one of the games greats. International league should be where it's at, and until people (players, administrative staff and the fans) begin to give it the reverence it deserves it will always be a poor third to state of origin and club football.

And that my friend is a very sad indictment of the state of the game.

Darth Bobo

Elite players have been dodging playing for Australia for a while, Kenny's "fake injury" dates back to the 80's. Look at all the players who pulled out of the tour when Anderson was coach. Should all those players that pulled out of that tour no longer be considered?

This year we had Gasnier not want to play in the City/Country clash yet he was fine to play for St George on the weekend and then went on to play for the Blues. Where do you draw the line for rep duties?

Grail

Juniors
Draw it definitively, and then have the balls to back it up. And this is not the 80's. It is not in the midst of a Super League war.

If any other Australian player wanted to do what Johns is doing, (with the possible exception of Lockyer), they'd have their playing sheet stamped "Not for selection again". He is blatantly disrespecting the jersey.

Look, I've had it with this argument. You aren't going to convince me, and I'm not going to convince you.

Personally, I hope that Warrington doesn't make it to the ESL GF, and that Johns doesn't have the opportunity to make a mockery of International League.

When the best player in the world doesn't want to play for his country, it's a sad day indeed.

Knight76

Juniors
International league should be where it's at, and until people (players, administrative staff and the fans) begin to give it the reverence it deserves it will always be a poor third to state of origin and club football.

I beg to differ. SOO is larger then international football because it is a contest. International football has been lacking the contest for a long time. Who wants to watch Australia defeat team after team?

Personally, I hope that Warrington doesn't make it to the ESL GF, and that Johns doesn't have the opportunity to make a mockery of International League.

But if Warrington dont make it, he still has made his intention clear and you will all say he shouldnt be picked. Also, judging from your comments, he has already made a mockery of the international game just by saying he would play for warrington first.

Nonny1980

Juniors
If he chooses club over country then that is his decision but he should be told that the ARL's decision is that he cannot participate at this year's tri-nations. Next year I wouldn't have a problem with him playing rep footy, but this is a series and if he is not available for all of it he should not be selected.

Wayne Bennett should wake up to himself and also start respecting the Australian jersey. That incident last time where he picked a player from England as a substitute instead of using players that were taken over or someone from Oz just shows that he is also more interested in winning than the betterment of the international game.

Raider_69

Post Whore
innsaneink said:
Screw him...rep careers over joey boy...you cant make yourself available for reps then change your mind, even the gr8 joey cant have pie and eat too.

for once we agree
piss off joey, enjoy the wolves jerseys cause you dont deserve to don the mighty green and gold again

Mr Saab

Referee
Nonny1980 said:
Wayne Bennett should wake up to himself and also start respecting the Australian jersey. That incident last time where he picked a player from England as a substitute instead of using players that were taken over or someone from Oz just shows that he is also more interested in winning than the betterment of the international game.

and you should also be informed that Bennett was not the coach in 2003. Chris Anderson was and he was the one that selected Darren Smith.

bluesbreaker

Bench
Raider_69 said:
for once we agree
piss off joey, enjoy the wolves jerseys cause you dont deserve to don the mighty green and gold again

You think the same about Ricky Stuart? Didn't think so.

Razor

Coach
And as for Razor calling me a hypocrit, don't be a fool. I'll reiterate an earlier comment.

"I'd say the same thing if it was Luke Burt"

I don't care who the player(s) is/are. If you cheapen the Australian jersey, you never get to wear it again. I don't care if you're a fringe first grader or one of the games greats. International league should be where it's at, and until people (players, administrative staff and the fans) begin to give it the reverence it deserves it will always be a poor third to state of origin and club football.

But you did not say that about the 8 players who said "f**k you" to the Aussie jersey in 1996. What's it matter if it was the Super League War that forced them out? They were asked if that was the reason. They all said no and that they would have turned it down regardless (the only one who has come out since then and said otherwise was Sailor)

Kiwi

First Grade
Razor said:
But you did not say that about the 8 players who said "f**k you" to the Aussie jersey in 1996. What's it matter if it was the Super League War that forced them out? They were asked if that was the reason. They all said no and that they would have turned it down regardless (the only one who has come out since then and said otherwise was Sailor)

There were two sides to that, it wasn't just a matter of them turning their back on test jumper, they were stripped from them first. How many SL players were selected in 95 to play for australia and in Origin? It was a two way street, they weren't wanted because they signed with SL in 95, then were expected to want to play in 96 when SL was starting in 97. How f**ked up is that? And you want to use it as an example in this, it's not the same thing at all.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Rammo said:
Johns will probably still play, Warrington have to make the Grand Final first.

he has already choosen to fore go the honour of representing his country should it come down to that, so i say should it not eventuate why should he be allowed to then line up for the Kangaroos? Give the gig to a bloke who takes the honour more seriously.

When Johns was out injuried and contemplating retirement (from all reports) what do you think spurred him on to keep going? I bet you it wasnt for the chance to play for Warrington, it was to get back and help the knights, blues and eventually Kangaroos reign supreme again...

Who the f**k are the Wolves compaired to the Kangaroos? :roll: