What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Johns retirement!!!

V1er

Juniors
Ben kusto might get a call up.....

I lost a bit of respect for johns for his behavoiur last year at parramatta stadium, but he's an excellent player and one of the best ive ever seen.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
dazeely said:
time to head for the hills Jess. :crazy:

lol, nah, he's actually quite calm - i think they looked better with Jarrod Mullen at #7 anyway! He's just wanting his salary cap back!

how does that work, do they get the money to use for the rest of this year, or is it tied up until next year?

Gronk

Staff member
Angry_eel said:
Sad but it was great to see him having a tantrum after hayne wrecked his night.
Which brings me to say - Great player, maybe the best. But the night he shafted us after we arranged to have the game ball mounted for him etc was the night I lost respect for him as a man.

Happy retirement Joey. <insert middle finger emoticon>

Frederick

Staff member
JessEel said:
lhow does that work, do they get the money to use for the rest of this year, or is it tied up until next year?
Aparently because it's injury forced it's covered by insurance, or something :?

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
so you do get some cap back to use on the rest of your team this year?

dazeely

First Grade
Injury ends Joey's legacy
By staff writers
April 10, 2007 ANDREW Johns, arguably the greatest rugby league player of all time, will announce his glittering career is over at a press conference in Newcastle today.

The Knights captain, who injured his neck in a freak training accident last Thursday after colliding with teammates Daniel Abraham and Adam Woolnough, received unfavourable results from scans taken this morning.

Rather than risk his long-term health, Johns, who had already retired from representative football despite rumour she might return to State of Origin with New South Wales this year, has accepted he has to say goodbye to the game as a player.

Last Friday, Johns gave an interview on Sydney radio station 2GB in which he admitted some of the sensations he felt in his body after the training accident "scared the life" out of him.

"I got a sensation in my leg, no numbness or pain down my arm like I've had before, and it scared the hell out of me," he said.

Johns, though, appeared confident at the time that he might be able to continue.

But the news from his doctors today and a host of world authorities on neck injuries convinced him otherwise.

Johns was due to address a media conference at 1pm (AEST) today, before his manager, John Fordham, announced that would be delayed by three hours.

"Andrew had a cat scan done this morning and that's been looked at by Professor John Yeo and (Newcastle Knights club doctor) Neil Halpin, with Andrew," Fordham said.

"There are still some considerations being made about the findings of the scan.

"No decision has been made yet in relation to his future football career but that will be determined in the next hour or so."

Asked if the delay meant the scan results on the former Australia captain were of more concern than initially though, Fordham said: "No.

"It's a process that's obviously very important because it's dealing with his ongoing football career."

Johns, 32, aggravated an injury in the training accident that initially occurred during his team's shock loss to Canberra Raiders last Monday night.

The star halfback has a history of neck injuries. He was forced to miss the last five matches of the 2003 season because of a bulging disc, which threatened to end his career at the time.

The two-time NRL Premiership winner is contracted to play with the Knights until the end of the 2008 season but was expected to make a decision on whether he would play on again next season midway through this year.

Johns has played club record 249 first grade games for the Knights as well as playing 23 matches for New South Wales, 21 Tests for Australia and was a member of the Kangaroos' 1995 and 2000 World Cup-winning teams.

Johns also had a brief stint with English club Warrington, where he played three matches for the Wolves in 2005.

Frederick

Staff member
JessEel said:
so you do get some cap back to use on the rest of your team this year?
I think that's how it works, but not entirely sure. I don't think anyone actually knows for sure :p

hineyrulz

Post Whore
TheParraboy said:
I wonder if Knights will try and get a halfback mid year now

Any halfback unsigned for next year that possibly may ask for a release? :oops: :crazy: :sarcasm:
I know of a halfback, currently playing out of posistion but ;-)

half

Coach
he was a quality man, it's sad to see him pass away so young. i feel for his family

emjaycee

Coach
Thanks for the confirmation Suity.

Congratulations to Joey for a fantastic career - definitely one of the top 5 players I have witnessed over the last 30 years.

A great player and an inspirational leader for Newcastle, NSW and Australia.
Thanks for the memories Joey and I'll forgive u the hissy fit at Parra Stadium last year if you sign up to give Timmy some tips :)

eelz47

Coach
dazeely said:
Rather than risk his long-term health, Johns, who had already retired from representative football despite rumour she might return to State of Origin with New South Wales this year, has accepted he has to say goodbye to the game as a player.

he he he

even though i disliked him, its sad to see the back of him.should of kept a close eyes on him over the last few games

anyways good luck newcastle

eel4life

Juniors
Date of Birth: 19 May 1974, Cessnock, New South Wales.

Year joined Newcastle: 1989.

First-grade debut: Newcastle Knights v Gold Coast Seagulls, (17 April 1993).

Club appearances: 245 NRL Premiership matches for Newcastle (1993-2006); three

English Super League games for Warrington (2005).

Representative honours: 21 Tests for Australia (1995-2006); Rugby League World Cup winner (1995, 2000); Kangaroos tourist (2001); 23 State of Origin games for NSW (1995-2005); three Country Origin matches (1995, 1996, 2003).

Awards: Dally M winner (1998, 1999, 2002); Provan-Summons medal: (1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002); Clive Churchill medal (2001); Player of the Series Australia v Great Britain (2001); Most Valuable Player in 1995 World Cup; Rugby League Week Player of the Year (1998, 1999, 2002).

#######

That was his career, he did everything no-one should feel sorry for him, as he said if this had happend to him at 19 then he would of missed out of all that, he has had the fairytale career.

The Colonel

Immortal
Brilliant player, definitely. Great? I'll argue that class defines greatness and if Johns has ever lacked anything I think its class most of all. Up there amongst the best players in the game and will count myself as lucky to have witnessed him play. Among the best of an era - Langer, Daley, Fittler, Stuart, Johns, Lockyer.....

Avenger

Immortal
The Colonel said:
Brilliant player, definitely. Great? I'll argue that class defines greatness and if Johns has ever lacked anything I think its class most of all. Up there amongst the best players in the game and will count myself as lucky to have witnessed him play. Among the best of an era - Langer, Daley, Fittler, Stuart, Johns, Lockyer.....

Having said that, Peter Sterling will become an immortal before him.

Fathead

Bench
I obviously never saw Dally Messenger play but I did see Langlands, Coote, Fulton, Beetson, and Churchill Play.
IMO Andrew Johns was the greatest player that I have ever seen play the game of Rugby League.
In my eyes he was just in front of a fella named Ken Thornett, who was without doubt the greatest player that ever played for the mighty parramatta club.

Avenger

Immortal
For mine:

1. Wally Lewis

2. Peter Sterling

3. Andrew Johns

4. Brett Kenny

5. Allan Langer

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
the writing was on the wall when he announced a press conference this morning

I mean, what else would it be for

SOO is gonna suck this year without him

hineyrulz

Post Whore
It's sad to see a great player have to retire through injury, reminds me of how Sterlo bowed out. Probably the best player i have seen.

Latest posts