What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Johns retirement!!!

noosa-eel

Juniors
Top 5 i saw play were :

1. Brett Kenny

2. Sterlo

3. Phil Blake

4. Laurie Daley

5. Darren Lockyer

Bigfella

Coach
Colonel, not even Smartman would have Mortimer ahead of Johns!

And Noosa, not even Phil Blake's mum would have him at number 3. Or did you only watch one season of footy in 1982?

forward pass

Coach
The Colonel said:
If we are talking best we have seen play -

1. Brett Kenny

2. Wayne Lewis

3. Peter Sterling

4. Laurie Daley

5. Alfie Langer

6. Steve Mortimer

7. Andrew Johns

8. Brad Fittler

9. Darren Lockyer

10. Ricky Stuart

Was that Wallys brother ???:lol:

Stagger eel

Staff member
forward pass said:
Was that Wallys brother ???:lol:

yeah played 261 games for Redcliffe, Valleys and Wynnam in the space of 11 years between 73 and 84..

He was a prop forward ;-)

noosa-eel

Juniors
Bigfella my response was Phil Blakes overall career and yes I only watched 1 season of footy in 82, thats all there was............:shock: you don't have to like my choices as I don't have to agree with yours

The Colonel

Immortal
Bigfella said:
Colonel, not even Smartman would have Mortimer ahead of Johns!

And Noosa, not even Phil Blake's mum would have him at number 3. Or did you only watch one season of footy in 1982?

That is your opinion. Some of the greatest games I ever saw played involved Sterling and Mortimer - and at Origin level Mortimer had it all over Johns and Sterling.

1. Kenny

2. Sterling

3. Daley

4. Lockyer

5. Fittler

6. Jason Smith

7. Langer

8. Lewis

9. Hindmarsh

10. Clyde

Johns doesn't even make my top ten, as you can see. He was a good player, but great? Immortal? Personally, I just don't think so.

Suitman

Post Whore
1. Brett Kenny

2. Arthur Beetson

3. Wayne Lewis

4. Andrew Johns

5. Peter Sterling

6. Bob Fulton

7. Ray Price

8. Darren Lockyer

10. Alfie.

11. Suity

Bigfella

Coach
OK for what it's worth (very little I suspect):

1. Johns
2. Kenny
3. Wayne Lewis (may have been higher if played NRL longer)
4. Sterling
5. Langer
6. Lockyer
7. Hindmarsh
8. Stewart
9. Lyons (yes Cliffy - at NRL level the most freakishly talented ballplayer I have seen)
10. Lazarus

I couldn't put Fittler or Daley in the company of those blokes.

And as for Mortimer and Blake - you might as well put Wayne Fullerton Smith in their as them!

:lol:

Suitman

Post Whore
Bigfella said:
And as for Mortimer and Blake - you might as well put Wayne Fullerton Smith in their as them!

:lol: :lol:

WAYNE Fullerton Smith!! :lol:

Suity

The Colonel

Immortal
Bigfella said:

Almost as laughable as you leaving out Daley IMO.

As it is your opinion you're welcome to it. Personally I don't think Johns is any better than Sterlo, Mortimer, Langer or Stuart - much of his hype comes about from the media. Best halfback of the past ten years - much so. No better than any of those four in their prime. There haven't been too many dominant halfbacks around during his time as there have been in other eras.

1985 Grand Final was all Mortimer as much as the 1986 Grand Final was so much Sterling. I've never seen Johns better either of those two displays personally.....

forward pass

Coach
Suitman said:
1. Brett Kenny

2. Arthur Beetson

3. Wayne Lewis

4. Andrew Johns

5. Peter Sterling

6. Bob Fulton

7. Ray Price

8. Darren Lockyer

10. Alfie.

11. Suity

Sorry But I'd rate Steve Crouch above this Turkey !

Stagger eel

Staff member
Hollywood Jesus said:
1. Kenny

2. Sterling

3. Daley

4. Lockyer

5. Fittler

6. Jason Smith

7. Langer

8. Lewis

9. Hindmarsh

10. Clyde

Johns doesn't even make my top ten, as you can see. He was a good player, but great? Immortal? Personally, I just don't think so.

where the f**k is Galbraith ya soft c**k..;-)

forward pass

Coach
Since we are in a reminiscing mood can someone answer this question.

In RLW today there are a couple of bits about Brett Kenny. Anyway in the old Eels team photo, there is a small aboriginal guy who played halfback for us occasionally. What was his name again ? Its' on the tip of my tongue !

Stagger eel

Staff member
forward pass said:
Since we are in a reminiscing mood can someone answer this question.

In RLW today there are a couple of bits about Brett Kenny. Anyway in the old Eels team photo, there is a small aboriginal guy who played halfback for us occasionally. What was his name again ? Its' on the tip of my tongue !

Brad Garret.

forward pass

Coach
Thats him yeah. He was a nippy little player form memory. Filled in when Sterlo was out. What a pair of boots to fill !

Stagger eel

Staff member
forward pass said:
Thats him yeah. He was a nippy little player form memory. Filled in when Sterlo was out. What a pair of boots to fill !

there was also Greg Henry, I think they were both aboriginal boys.

Latest posts