What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Johns Retires - It's Official

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Gene Krupa said:
You know Dodge, if you weren't a Dogs fan, I'd say you were a good bloke. ;-)

:p

I'm not changing that fact just to be called a good bloke :lol:

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
A shame his career came to an end prematurely, but certainly a decision for the best.

Good luck to him.

Serc

First Grade
Dodger said:
Saw him a few times in clubs up around Newcastle, always playing the sleaze.

Yeah heard enough stories from my mates at Newy Uni when I used to live there to confirm that...but anyone in the spotlight like Johns is bound to have every little thing that he does wrong highlighted in neon lights. Reminds me a lot of Warney actually - both of them are probably good Aussie style blokes.

And then you hear stories like Johnsy at the bottom of the previous page - it makes you wonder where the media are to report all the good news stories about our sporting heroes.

Thanks for the banners too! Great stuff

Moffo

Referee
legend joey - his creativity inspired the likes of prince and benji

an icon that will be sorely missed. anyone who is laying into him is a f**king moron with no idea about the game

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The last thing I'm doing is laying into him, that's the furthest thing from the point - some Knights fans who are a little upset about it all (who can blame them) have picked at tiny bits of messages which in general are wishing well. Only (certain) Raiders fans and some others are being nasty.

Charlie124

First Grade
hillbillyjazzer1954 said:
i hope for him and his familys sake that his neck will be okay and that what ever he chooses to do in the future will be a success..........but football wise i am glad to see the back of the spoilt petulant prick

as ink said he was a great footballer but a wanker of the highest order dont let the door hit you joey

I agree 100% with this post.

Never liked him, glad to see the little brat gone.

Although i do hope his neck is ok

KempoKnight

Juniors
Charlie124 said:
I agree 100% with this post.

Never liked him, glad to see the little brat gone.

Although i do hope his neck is ok

this coming from a bloke who has carl webb all over every post he make?:crazy:

Azkatro

First Grade
Dodger said:
You goose! That's the first time he scored. His debut was off the bench in round 6, 1993 against Gold Coast. The Knights got schooled in that game, losing 22-6. Johns' debut was amongst giants of the game like Dale Shearer, Adrian Vowles, Michael Searle, Adrian Brunker, Jason Martin and Michael Hagan.

johns_debut.gif

meltiger

First Grade
What is with all these Canberra and Brisbane f**kwits? Seriously, you dickheads.

Nothing I can add except to wish Joey good luck, hopefully he gets his body right to have a good quality of life for as long as possible.

He's certainly provided me with many many great memories.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
It doesn't matter if you liked him or lothaed him, there was no doubt Joey was one of the most respected rugby leagye players of the modern game. He's done things beyond alot of people's normal comprehension.
So what if he's had bad days in the spotlight, so what if there are silly individuals who think he's a spoilt sport.
The fact of the matter remains, he was the master in this game and was part of it's changing revolution

The idiots here saying they are happy...etc..you should really just admit you admire him. You realise if you bad mouth a person, you are secretly hiding true admiration.

perverse

Referee
byrne_rovelli_fan82 said:
It doesn't matter if you liked him or lothaed him, there was no doubt Joey was one of the most respected rugby leagye players of the modern game. He's done things beyond alot of people's normal comprehension.
So what if he's had bad days in the spotlight, so what if there are silly individuals who think he's a spoilt sport.
The fact of the matter remains, he was the master in this game and was part of it's changing revolution

The idiots here saying they are happy...etc..you should really just admit you admire him. You realise if you bad mouth a person, you are secretly hiding true admiration.
i've been waiting for this post.

you've hit the nail right on the head.. he is largely responsible for the vast array of talent and style we see in the game today. 10 or 15 years ago, no-one had seen the likes of joey's kicking and passing games. he innovated where others hadn't and he was impossible to read. now every other half and team are doing what he has been doing for 10+ years. he has left a massive footprint in the game of rugby league, and anyone who doesn't see that is flat out biased.

we've lost one of the best ever - the fact that this is even disputed boggles my mind. it actually makes me laugh because any NSW fan worth their salt will give lewis, langer even meninga the credit they deserve.. and yet when joey's name is mentioned they whinge like little children. he is equal with the greats and to deny this fact is a shame.. because everyone on this board has had (or should have had) the pleasure of watching one of the greatest players of the game do his thing at every level. GF '97 and origin '05 (the 2 that popped into my head first) are some of the many great footballing events i will tell my grandkids about - i got to watch the great andrew johns play football in the flesh.

those of you that bitch about him are totally ungrateful - he has given more to our great game than everyone on this board combined, and has played a big part in making it the spectacle it is today.

congratulations on a complete career as the complete footballer joey. my only disappointment is that i'll never get to see you play again.

disclaimer - i apologise to all the QLDers that do acknowledge that johns deserves the accolades he receives, it was a generalisation for the purpose of my rant.

Raider_69

Post Whore
perverse said:
i've been waiting for this post.

you've hit the nail right on the head.. he is largely responsible for the vast array of talent and style we see in the game today. 10 or 15 years ago, no-one had seen the likes of joey's kicking and passing games.

:lol: no one had seen the likes of joey's kicking and passing games?
Ricky Stuart, Laurie Daley, Brad Fittler, Alfie Langer, Cliffy Lyons and god knows who else ive fogotten might have something to say about that :lol:
2:30 in the arvo is not the time to be smoking Ice, i dont care who you are

macavity

Referee
Raider_69 said:
Ricky Stuart, Laurie Daley, Brad Fittler, Alfie Langer, Cliffy Lyons and god knows who else ive fogotten might have something to say about that :lol:

perhaps.

but he had all their skills in the one package.

i dont expect hateuh mc raiduh to understand that.

perverse

Referee
Raider_69 said:
they all had masterful kicking and passing games - but johns had the x-factor and was another rung up the ladder. he had extra vision above all of those names (except one that you have ommitted - that being lewis). macavity is also right in saying none of them had the complete package.

don't worry - i don't care who you are either.

Raider_69

Post Whore
:lol:
this is getting abit out of control, isnt it? :lol:
ice bombs all around for newie fans, is it?

Its one thing to appreciate him as a player, and hell i can even excuse you for saying he is the GOAT. But at this point you're a post away from claiming he is the perfect player :lol:

laughable

Latest posts