What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Johns vs Darren Lockyer

Who's the greater player?

• Andrew Johns

Votes: 302 69.9%
  • Darren Lockyer

Votes: 130 30.1%

• Total voters

Cliffhanger

Coach
In what world is beating the premiers, prelim finalists and pushing the runners up to the brink shaky?
Lol, they beat the Dragons when the choke looked on again, lol we only managed to beat souths by 4 points a few rounds earlier too, and well a few rd after versing the broncos the titans even lost to the Sharks.

Broncos look shakey after origin more often than not and start fading rapidly. There's a few seasons which were exception, but generally they go downhill after origin.

user_nat

Coach
Lol, they beat the Dragons when the choke looked on again, lol we only managed to beat souths by 4 points a few rounds earlier too, and well a few rd after versing the broncos the titans even lost to the Sharks.

Broncos look shakey after origin more often than not and start fading rapidly. There's a few seasons which were exception, but generally they go downhill after origin.

:crazy: Last year was clearly not a year where we were shaky during or after origin. Between round 9 and 22 (where Lockyer got injured) we narrowly lost 3 games. One to the second place team, one to the third place team and one to eventual runners up.

Big Pete

Referee
Lol, they beat the Dragons when the choke looked on again, lol we only managed to beat souths by 4 points a few rounds earlier, and well a few rd after versing the broncos the titans even lost to the Sharks.

Are you being legit? Those are some of the worst excuses I've heard.

Fact is the Broncos were 3/4 with Lockyer there, when he went down they couldn't win a game.

Thanks for bringing up the Origin fade outs, tell me which Broncos player happened to get injured a fair bit during that period?

Cliffhanger

Coach
:crazy: Last year was clearly not a year where we were shaky during or after origin. Between round 9 and 22 (where Lockyer got injured) we narrowly lost 3 games. One to the second place team, one to the third place team and one to eventual runners up.
You narrowly lost a game to the Tigers when Lockyer was missing too and smashed the Rabbits while he was gone.

Broncos ran out of fuel, in the last two weeks. They started the season poorly and nenver should have come close to a finals birth. They then got fatigued an missed out. It wasn't just about missing Lockyer.

Cliffhanger

Coach
Yeah.. likes that's an accomplishment..
Then why is losing to the Roosters by only 4 points one when Souths did exactly the same thing not a few weeks earlier?

All I'm trying to say is Lockyer's important and lifts the team but not the way John did. Everybody sees things differently. This discussion is beyond boring now.

Big Pete

Referee
:lol: Didn't the Rabbits need to call up Stapleton from the mines just to have 17 players on the field?

The way you make it out Cliffy you'd swear the Knights couldn't win a game without Joey...when they won plenty without him.

DecoyRunner

Juniors
Why does importance to their team come into it?

Anyway, Lewis poops on Lockyer, and Sterling poops on Johns. Dave Brown poops on the lot of them.

Cliffhanger

Coach
Didn't see Sterling play but I'm pretty sure there are very few people who rate him above Johns.

Brown is the Bradman of legue there is no being better than him.

RHCP

Bench
The way you make it out Cliffy you'd swear the Knights couldn't win a game without Joey...when they won plenty without him.
Just as the Broncos did without Locky.

Moot point anyway. Players should be judged on their merits on the field, not the attitude their team mates display when they are not.

Big Pete

Referee
I never said otherwise.

I disagree with your other point. To me it's another valid point to their career and it demonstrates how valuable they were for a team. Just look at Cam Smith, his stats. don't make him out to be the best hooker in the game (at least some seasons) but you just have to see how Melbourne perform without him to see just how valuable he is in that dummy half role. That's what sets these top tier players apart, the little things that make a huge difference in the end.

Either way, I certainly don't think it's a point you can hold against either player. Both were as inspirational as each other.

RHCP

Bench
Either way, I certainly don't think it's a point you can hold against either player. Both were as inspirational as each other.
Pretty much what I meant.

I also believe though that the influence of the coach, the attitude of the rest of the team and other outside factors have to big a sway to ever definitively decide whether Player X or Player Y was more valuable to their team.

Mr Fourex

Bench
Didn't see Sterling play but I'm pretty sure there are very few people who rate him above Johns.

Brown is the Bradman of legue there is no being better than him.

Big fan of Sterlo when he was playing ........ a half backs half back

That said.......Johns was a better player

My top 3 in order (3 being the best)

3. Lewis
2. Johns
1. Lockyer

Loudstrat

Coach
1. Johns
2. Beetson
...Fittler.....Heather

Heather only achieved his renaissance as a pivot when Freddy and Joey both retired.

Johns dominated the sport from start to finish. Heather gets the longevity award, but Cameron Smith should be QLD and Test skipper by now.

Loudstrat

Coach
Of course it isn't in the same league, but I still think it's a clutch play. You may call it luck, but Lockyer had to get himself in a position to pounce on the error. The fact he shot out of the line for that quicker than any Blues player could walk over and fall on the ball says lots. He also bagged the winner in the 06 tri-nations final, again, by putting himself in the position to capitalise, again, to some that's luck, but to others, it's instinct.
FFS Paul Cariage could have scored that try. Pick up a lose ball, run a few meters, fall down.

I simply love all the posts in here pumping up John's tyres ... cause most don't know it, but they just make Lewis even better ... which is hard to imagine :D

Oink !
Squeal like a pig. EEEEEEEEEEE.

Lewis was Kenny's bitch.

some11

Referee
Not being sarcastic as I've never seen Johns play, but did he ever play a position other than halfback?

Last edited:

kickback

Juniors
This is a joke right!!! all you joey lovers he wont put out any more for you by claiming he is the greatest of all.

He is not even close

Look at the records girls they dont lie, even Joey would agree with that!!

Latest posts