What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Johns vs Darren Lockyer

Who's the greater player?

• Andrew Johns

Votes: 302 69.9%
  • Darren Lockyer

Votes: 130 30.1%

• Total voters

j0nesy

Bench
Johns as a half, best player in modern history. although Lockeyer would beat him on rep stats alone. I think someone else said it, but f**k Lockeyer was a dangerous fullback.

fourplay

Juniors
Gotta go with the guy with all the silverware. Lockyer. Who is the man to have at the end of a tight game? One is the ultimate clutch player, the other will just throw a tanti

Like when the scores are all locked up with 10 seconds to go in a grand final?

RABK

Referee
Yeh it's hard to say Lockyer is a more clutch player when Johns goes blind side, draws all defenders across then casually passed inside without looking to win a grand final in the last 10 seconds against the best defensive team of the modern era. It simply does not get more clutch then that.

Yeh it's hard to say Lockyer is a more clutch player when Johns goes blind side, draws all defenders across then casually passed inside without looking to win a grand final in the last 10 seconds against the best defensive team of the modern era. It simply does not get more clutch then that.

With less than 5 to go in an origin game, down by 2, staring down the barrell of 4 straight series losses, swooping on a mistake from the opposition and planting the ball down under the posts to win the series.

RABK

Referee
With less than 5 to go in an origin game, down by 2, staring down the barrell of 4 straight series losses, swooping on a mistake from the opposition and planting the ball down under the posts to win the series.

Are you for real? See the part where you mentioned opposition mistake?

That's not 'clutch', but great play. It does not enter the same league as a 'created' try to win a GF in the final seconds.

Whos Ya Daddy

First Grade
Johns move was skill whilst Heathers was luck.

I'd want the ball in Johns hands with 10 seconds left on the clock.

RABK

Referee
I'll never forgive Hodgson for that, out of all the pain of the last 5 years that is the worst. Amazing play by locky.

Are you for real? See the part where you mentioned opposition mistake?

That's not 'clutch', but great play. It does not enter the same league as a 'created' try to win a GF in the final seconds.

Of course it isn't in the same league, but I still think it's a clutch play. You may call it luck, but Lockyer had to get himself in a position to pounce on the error. The fact he shot out of the line for that quicker than any Blues player could walk over and fall on the ball says lots. He also bagged the winner in the 06 tri-nations final, again, by putting himself in the position to capitalise, again, to some that's luck, but to others, it's instinct.

timka4

Bench
I know. Think how different origin could have been, I mean we probably would of lost 07, but it would of been a big dint in QLD's confidence going down 4 series.

Obviously though there are a whole lot of "could have" happens in sport.

Big Pete

Referee
I'll never forgive Hodgson for that, out of all the pain of the last 5 years that is the worst. Amazing play by locky.

At least the game is remembered for something more than Queensland getting absolutely screwed over by the refs.

But yeah, Hodgson gets off light compared to what Kidley cops. You've got to remember in Game 1 he also gifted Queensland a try to get them back into it.

Pigskin

Juniors

funny post ... John's wouldn't have been playing on GF day in a combined comp

Oink !

Pigskin

Juniors
I simply love all the posts in here pumping up John's tyres ... cause most don't know it, but they just make Lewis even better ... which is hard to imagine :D

Oink !

AuDragon

Juniors
Of course it isn't in the same league, but I still think it's a clutch play. You may call it luck, but Lockyer had to get himself in a position to pounce on the error. The fact he shot out of the line for that quicker than any Blues player could walk over and fall on the ball says lots. He also bagged the winner in the 06 tri-nations final, again, by putting himself in the position to capitalise, again, to some that's luck, but to others, it's instinct.
Not to mention he has done this 3 times to NSW, albeit the other two were not in the dying moments of an Origin clincher.

I can understand some people taking Johns side, especially if they are NSW fans and even more if they support the Knights as well.
RABK takes it to idiotic levels as do those that try to reduce Joey to an average or overrated player.
I go Lockyer because I'm a Qld'er and a Bronco, and also because I value colective over individual, which is where Lockyer was superior.

Obviously, breaking longevity records doesn't say it all, it's brilliance, leadership and longevity altogether that makes Locky the next immortal.

But as far as I'm concerned, I'm more than happy to go with Jason Maher and just call them the two greatest players of this era.

Last edited:

RABK

Referee
I can understand some people taking Johns side, especially if they are NSW fans and even more if they support the Knights as well.
RABK takes it to idiotic levels as do those that try to reduce Joey to an average or overrated player.

Back it up, what did i say that's idiotic? Dickhead.

AuDragon

Juniors
Back it up, what did i say that's idiotic? Dickhead.
Sorry I hurt your feelings sweetheart, but when you start your ramblings in this thread with the Origin score between Johns and Lockyer, the rest can't be taken seriously...

Hallatia

Referee
I cannot help but prefer Lockyer, I feel like Locky is a guy who everyone in the team with him benefits from playing alongside. The other thing about Locky is he always aims to be better and will always put in for his team. The reason Locky sounds the way he does is because he has been putting off having surgery on a broken bone in his throat til after his career is over so it wouldn't interfere with his ability to represent his teams and that is admirable.

Andrew Johns on the other hand has bi-polar and seems to think that that makes it okay for him to take drugs. I cannot deny Joey's talent, but all he added to the game was his his (drug effected) self, which did come with some wonderful things, but unfairly wonderful things. I don't know what sort of a player he would have been without them or even whether he would have continued in the game. What I do know is his drug abuse and the Knights' and NRL's covering it up is far worse than any other kind of cheating which has occurred in the game in my lifetime. Another thing I know is that it is not possible for me to look back at Joey's career and forget the drugs because the reality is that he SHOULD have been reprimanded for taking them BEFORE his career took off.

I came to the conclusion earlier this week that the main reason I was accustomed to Johns getting more fanfare than Locky was because I lived south of Tweed Heads. I don't know if that is actually why, but I know in my own case that I never really had the wank over Joey that all of New South Wales likes to have and I was obsessed with the game for several years.

Big Pete

Referee
I've had no issue with RABK's points. They've all been constructive and I know the rest of the post is just part of the parcel here on LU.

Latest posts