What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Johns vs Darren Lockyer

Who's the greater player?

• Andrew Johns

Votes: 302 69.9%
  • Darren Lockyer

Votes: 130 30.1%

• Total voters

POPEYE

Coach
Getting into arguments about who is the better player is fraught with danger. Depends on the criteria by which you judge 'better'. Johns would look even better with

Lockyer playing alongside him and vice versa. There have been more talented centres than Mick Cronin but when he was running around he was my #1 pick.

Depends if you like your bloke to turn up ready to play every game. Lewis was the best ever player and would be now if he played simply because

he never made a rash decision. He achieved his status by keeping a cool head when everyone else was panicking. He never won man of the match because of his work rate.

roarr

Juniors
I think ive said this before... but if I was going to pick one of them for one game and one game only, it would be johns. But if I could choose one of them at 17 and have them for their entire career it would be lockyer.

Elia_Tuqiri

Juniors
As a long time Knight fans, it pains me to say this but Lockyer for me.
Johns took drugs to his advantage.
He couldn't handle the pressure of being a professional football player.
A more interesting poll would be Buderus v Smith.

perverse

Referee
and it should once again be pointed out that Elia_Tuqiri is, in fact, a Broncos fan. i'm not sure what his angle is, but he's been masquerading as a Knights fan for a while now.

Elia, there is no way a Knights fan would ever think that... and it's proof that you arn't one that you actually think you can pass off as one and say that.

and Buderus vs. Smith isn't more interesting at all. Smith is the next evolution, he is the superior player. Buderus is a champion at all levels, but Smith is a different beast entirely. it was close when Bedsy was on the way down and Smith was on the way up, but Smith has shown since that he is an all class, player of his generation. far more strings to his bow than Bedsy... and he has kicked on and gone on with it. Smith is as close to a genuine great of the game as we have playing at the moment, along with a couple of his QLD partners in crime.

Elia_Tuqiri

Juniors
I been watching footy for over 30 years.
I will be forever grateful what Johns did at the Knights.
But if I could choose Johns or Lockyer, it will be Lockyer everyday of the week except for days that end in y.

mozza91

Coach
As a Knights fan it pains me to say that Johns was a much much better player.

Last edited:

some11

Referee
and it should once again be pointed out that Elia_Tuqiri is, in fact, a Broncos fan. i'm not sure what his angle is, but he's been masquerading as a Knights fan for a while now.

I'm not so sure, hes stinking up the Broncos forum with the most useless bullshit posts you'll ever see.

Billythekid

First Grade
As a long time Knight fans, it pains me to say this but Lockyer for me.
Johns took drugs to his advantage.
He couldn't handle the pressure of being a professional football player.
A more interesting poll would be Buderus v Smith.

Buderus isn't in the same league as Smith.

jonno_knights

Juniors
Buderus isn't in the same league as Smith.

You my friend have no Idea. People always say this, but If you trot out Buderus 2001-2006 against Cam smith 2006-2011 and you have a mighty good comparison of top players. Not saying Buderus is better, but the gap between he and Smith is a lot closer then the Gap between Johns and Locker in terms of playing ability. Only thing Smith exceeds Buderus in by a country mile is a kicking game. Running wise, defensive wise, inspiration wise, toughness wise, vision wise there is little between them.

Azkatro

First Grade
in all honesty, i don't know the play you're talking about. i may have been too young to know or give a shit at the time.

i did say it was one of the most audacious play i've seen. if you feel that the play you're talking about was moreso, then i probably didn't see it, or it didn't leave an impression on me at that age.

are you trying to imply that the play i speak of wasn't audacious... or nitpicking for the sake of it?

I was going to sit here and formulate a massive diatribe explaining what I was getting at but it's probably easier to just say yeah, I'm nitpicking just for the sake of it :lol:

Billythekid

First Grade
You my friend have no Idea. People always say this, but If you trot out Buderus 2001-2006 against Cam smith 2006-2011 and you have a mighty good comparison of top players. Not saying Buderus is better, but the gap between he and Smith is a lot closer then the Gap between Johns and Locker in terms of playing ability. Only thing Smith exceeds Buderus in by a country mile is a kicking game. Running wise, defensive wise, inspiration wise, toughness wise, vision wise there is little between them.

I disagree, not much more i can say here.

ellskimore

Juniors
Lockyer is a greater player and person, however Johns is waaaaaaaay better at racial discrimination.

Also even though I hate the guy, Cam Smith is better than Buderus ever was. I realise Im coming off anti-knights here but thats just the way I see it.

Gap between Johns and Lockyer is closer than the gap between Smith and Buderus.

Rapture_Shark

Juniors
i loved the way johns played and his impact on the game but the fact lockys played more and the whole drugs controversy with joey, puts lockyer ahead, i personally like lockyer more also

Bulldog Force

Referee
Andrew Johns. It's a no-contest really. Johns was great until the day he retired, whereas Lockyer has showed signs of age.