What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Johns vs Darren Lockyer

Who's the greater player?

• Andrew Johns

Votes: 302 69.9%
  • Darren Lockyer

Votes: 130 30.1%

• Total voters

THE CHAMP

First Grade
To all the plebs out there still crapping along on how great johns WAS. Have a look at SOO Game 3 last year that's 2010 for the slightly slow. Lockyer boots a field goal from 46 metres out and about 10 in from the sideline to give the Mighty Moroons a 7 point lead right on halftime. Give me an example of Johns doing anything like that in a game of equal importance. Don't bother none of ya can.

Haffa

lol. Hey Champ try watching Game 2 2005 and watch game 3 as well.

Qualifying final 2001, Return game vs Broncos 2001, Grand Final 2001.

Semi vs Manly 2006.

And many more I can't be bothered to list.

Lockyer is an all-time great. IMO Johns was better but I'm not going to argue about it everyone is entitiled to their opinion.

Ask my dad who was better Sterling or Mortimer and he says Horrie Hastings everytime.

Silent Knight

First Grade
I still have to suffer through listening to redneck Queenslanders crap on about how Darren Lockyer is so much better than Andrew Johns. Of course they only come out and say this long after Joey retired.

I will just look at them, smile and say "Game 2 2005." It's amazing how much frothing at the lips those words inspire.

Hutty1986

Immortal
lol. Hey Champ try watching Game 2 2005 and watch game 3 as well.

Qualifying final 2001, Return game vs Broncos 2001, Grand Final 2001.

Semi vs Manly 2006.

And many more I can't be bothered to list.

Lockyer is an all-time great. IMO Johns was better but I'm not going to argue about it everyone is entitiled to their opinion.

Ask my dad who was better Sterling or Mortimer and he says Horrie Hastings everytime.

Game 1/2 2003 as well.. that sideline conversion to beat the Dragons in 03...plus various inspirational efforts for the Knights over the years!

Apey

Staff member
I love people who have serious hang-ups about shit like this :lol:

KiamaSaint

Coach
It is amazing how short our memories are about great players. Joey had it all, the passing, the kicking, his defense and he could kick goals. Yes, I know Lockyer could kick goals but he choose not to, not sure why? I haven't personally seen a more complete player than Andrew Johns.

The one quality Lockyer had that Andrew didn't is that he is much less injury prone which is a huge advantage. Doesn't matter how good you are if you are sitting on the bench.

Not much between the two to be honest and all of us would have either in our side in a heartbeat.

Red Bear

Referee
To all the plebs out there still crapping along on how great johns WAS. Have a look at SOO Game 3 last year that's 2010 for the slightly slow. Lockyer boots a field goal from 46 metres out and about 10 in from the sideline to give the Mighty Moroons a 7 point lead right on halftime. Give me an example of Johns doing anything like that in a game of equal importance. Don't bother none of ya can.
probably running down the blindside to set up a try in the last 15 seconds of a grand final. That might be up there.

jonno_knights

Juniors
probably running down the blindside to set up a try in the last 15 seconds of a grand final. That might be up there.

And wasnt game 3 last year a dead rubber, not exactly important :lol:

I'd rate kicking match winning conversions from the sideline (STGI 2003 for example) as a better examples then kicking a field goal with no pressure (as it was before halftime) in a series that was already decided.

Azkatro

First Grade
one of the most audacious clutch plays i can remember from anyone, ever, in anything.

What ... Kevvy Walters kicking the ball downfield from inside his own TWENTY with seconds remaining in an Origin match wasn't audacious?

perverse

Referee
What ... Kevvy Walters kicking the ball downfield from inside his own TWENTY with seconds remaining in an Origin match wasn't audacious?
in all honesty, i don't know the play you're talking about. i may have been too young to know or give a shit at the time.

i did say it was one of the most audacious play i've seen. if you feel that the play you're talking about was moreso, then i probably didn't see it, or it didn't leave an impression on me at that age.

are you trying to imply that the play i speak of wasn't audacious... or nitpicking for the sake of it?

Last edited: