What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Johns vs Darren Lockyer

Who's the greater player?

• Andrew Johns

Votes: 302 69.9%
  • Darren Lockyer

Votes: 130 30.1%

• Total voters

AuDragon

Juniors
I think you "accidentally" forgot 2005. Can't really blame ya, 66% is embarrassing... :sarcasm:
:lol:

fourplay

Juniors
2005 was the year that Andrew Johns missed the first half of the season with a broken jaw and Newcastle lost 13 in a row, then Johns came back and they won 8 of there last 11.

RABK

Referee
2005 was the year that Andrew Johns missed the first half of the season with a broken jaw and Newcastle lost 13 in a row, then Johns came back and they won 8 of there last 11.

Could be argued that Lockyer was out of form first half of 2006 yet then had an amazing 2nd half of the season. So if the players voted for Lockyer mid season in 2005 because of Joeys injuries than you have to concede that Johns pipped Lockyer in 2006 because it's a mid season poll.

No one was better than Lockyer in 2006.

Big Pete

Referee
I'd rate Smith over Lockyer in 2006.

Smith's injury played a big role in the Broncos victory over Melbourne that year.

Mr Fourex

Bench
:lol: Derp, he from qld so he da best!

So.......you would rate Fittler better than Lockyer and Ricky Stuart greater than Langer?

LOL..........it's confirmed. You have NFI. :lol:

and for the record numbnuts, I've earlier rated Johns > Lockyer (as an individual player), but when you NSW deluded and jizz riddled nuffys start rating Johns > Lewis

something has to be said!!

Wally Lewis has been the greatest RL player of the modern era. /

Hutty1986

Immortal
So.......you would rate Fittler better than Lockyer and Ricky Stuart greater than Langer?

and for the record numbnuts, I've earlier rated Johns > Lockyer (as an individual player), but when you NSW deluded and jizz riddled nuffys start rating Johns > Lewis

something has to be said!!

My personal opinion hasn't come into it you f*ckwit, you'd still blindly rate anything Maroon over a Blue any day :roll:

Silent Knight

First Grade
In other news...

New South Welshmen are backing NSW players.

Queenslanders are backing QLD players.

In spite of the Chump's incessant frothing at the mouth every time he bumps this thread, the 265 relatively sane people that voted Johns have spoken. Let this thread die or at least move it to the Interstate Circle Jerk forum.

Mr Fourex

Bench
My personal opinion hasn't come into it you f*ckwit, you'd still blindly rate anything Maroon over a Blue any day :roll:

Open your eyes you brainless cocksmoker .......I just said I rated Johns higher than Lockyer

as an individual player.

I agree with RABK. In terms of a greater career.......Lockyer > Johns.

POPEYE

Coach
I also took the thread as asking who is the preferable player to have in a team. I prefer Lockyer but then again Smith would be my next picked. There might be a place for Johns but I would have to think about it

Loudstrat

Coach
Ricky Stuart greater than Langer?

He has the same idea as the test selectors had on 2 Kangaroo tours when Langer was dumped for Sticky after the first Ashes test - twice.

BestOfTheBlues-1994-179-S2-BrettKenny%20.jpg

Mr Fourex

Bench
He has the same idea as the test selectors had on 2 Kangaroo tours when Langer was dumped for Sticky after the first Ashes test - twice.

BestOfTheBlues-1994-179-S2-BrettKenny%20.jpg

Are you saying Brett Kenny was greater than Lewis...?

I was a huge Kenny fan........but c'mon

You can't be serious....:crazy:

coverkk.jpg

Last edited:

Knightmare

Coach
In other news...

New South Welshmen are backing NSW players.

Queenslanders are backing QLD players.

In spite of the Chump's incessant frothing at the mouth every time he bumps this thread, the 265 relatively sane people that voted Johns have spoken. Let this thread die or at least move it to the Interstate Circle Jerk forum.

:lol: I was having an argument with two Qlder mates of mine last month about whether Joey was better than Lockyer and they kept saying "God, you're so biased!" because I didn't accept the "fact" that Lockyer is a better player than Johns.

It's amazing what a lifetimes' exposure to nothing but the media up here can do to a persons' opinions....

And before I get shouted down for daring to suggest that JoE Johns was a better player than His Highness Lord Lockyer, I should add that while I think Joey is the best player of all time, Lewis was a more dominant presence throughout his Origin career.

Last edited:

nohope

Juniors
Modern Era would be recent/present time, Lewis is neither of those. He played when league was an amateur sport.

As for Lockyer vs Johns, I'll gladly have both of them in my team ahead of anyone else.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Wow, this debate has gone on for 32 pages?

It just goes to show the effect of "the moment", and how being flavour of the month can sway an argument. Sort of how some 'tards have been suggesting lately than Sachin Tendulkar is better than Don Bradman!

Im an impartial Roosters fan and i cant think of one area of the game where Lockyer is better than Johns.

Joey has a better passing game - long and short, a better kicker game - long and short, a marginally better running game (some people forget how lethal he was 5 yards out, he only needed half a gap and would break through tackles), obviously a far better defender and he was of course the smartest guy to ever walk on a footy field.

The longevity argument is silly. It's akin to suggesting that Ricky Ponting is better than Don Bradman.

Bottom line is Johns was an absolute freak. The greatest player i have ever seen and will probably ever see - even if im around watching Rugby League for another 50 years.

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
Are you saying Brett Kenny was greater than Lewis...?

I was a huge Kenny fan........but c'mon

You can't be serious....:crazy:

coverkk.jpg
Deadly.

Head to head Origins: Kenny wins

Kenny kept Wally testless on the 1982 Roo tour. Wally couldnt do the same.

4 premierships and a challenge cup from 7 deciders, plus a golden boots award. 2 tries in 3 consecutive grand finals. 265 first grade games.

Knightmare

Coach
You make some fair points Loudy, but Kenny didn't have the charisma of Wally, nor did he single-handedly dominate Origins the way Wally did.

Mr Fourex

Bench
Deadly.

Head to head Origins: Kenny wins

Kenny kept Wally testless on the 1982 Roo tour. Wally couldnt do the same.

4 premierships and a challenge cup from 7 deciders, plus a golden boots award. 2 tries in 3 consecutive grand finals. 265 first grade games.

:roll:

Wally Lewis:

1 World Cup Championship (C)

2 Kangaroo tours "82 (V/C) "86 (C)

33 tests For Australia (23 as Captain)

31 games for QLD (30 as Captain)

8 m.o.m awards in SOO .........Man of the series medal is named after him

301 premiership games

Hall of Fame

AN IMMORTAL !!
PDT_030.gif

Latest posts