What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Johns

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It's a discussion thread kia. The rights or wrongs are there to be debated. Much better than locking it down because (some) people believe the subject matter is taboo.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
nah mate i didnt create a new account....i know i'm reprasentative of how many blokes think about this...but all you lot who are "soooo angry about this important ishooooo..." are our new generation of sensitive new age beautiful men-thats great, i'm really happy for you and your people...jsut dont open yr mouths coz the goo thats dribblin out of the side of yr mouth is bllsht...wankas...

Your basic premise is that racist language should either be ignored or the utterer should be punched in the mouth.

Nine times out of 10 those comments are ignored ... or at least are let slide. It hasn't done much to address the problem, though, has it?

I have no problem with someone thumping a racist, but unfortunately the law doesn't back us up on that one. Should Tahu risk being charged and probably set himself to be the villain of the whole situation? Or does it make more sense to say "I'm sick of this sh*t and won't stand for it anymore."?

Here's another question super hero - what would you or your Samoan mate do if the racist mouthing off was a woman, child or a person with a physical disability? Are you obligated to ignore it and they have a free pass to say whatever vile crap they like, or are you honour bound by your manly heterosexualness to knock their teeth out?

For the record, on the racist scale of one to 10, I think what Johns did is at the shallow end. It's made a bit worse by the fact that it has apparently been going on for a long time, but I think everyone is going to get over this one. That doesn't mean it's acceptable and that people like Tahu and Inglis should have to just put up with it (or have to punch Johns in the head if they really want him to stop it).

Last edited:

Footy-Fan

Juniors
Stupid & wrong on Joeys part, but I feel its been blown up. Worse stuff gets said on the weekends in my soccer side, at school even. I don't condone racism at all, & I feel some sort of action needed to be taken, but I also don't like the way Tahu has left his team mates right before a big game after a week of commotion because of a comment directed at a player on the opposing team.

I can see the positive side on how hes taking a stand, but I think its an over reaction. Why hasn't Hayne walked out? Isn't he part Aboriginal, like Inglis? Couldn't Tahu have confronted Joey on the matter & perhaps made it public instead of punishing the rest of the side also? I also highly doubt Joey truly looks down upon other races, but that his comment was more of a spur of the moment thing to fire up who ever it was he was talking to in the meeting.

Perhaps I'm wrong & I just don't understand, but I'd say that because of thicker skin then most. I wouldn't care if someone said something about my race, simply because it would make whoever said a lesser person. The reason racism is still a big thing is because of the reaction it gets.

It's a discussion thread kia. The rights or wrongs are there to be debated. Much better than locking it down because (some) people believe the subject matter is taboo.

Not saying that but the references to Johns being a drug taker etc have no relation to this issue...

I can't believe Brian Waldron or the Storm rortfest has not been included in this discussion.:sarcasm:

stormbati

Bench
Racism is a two way street. But it seems white people are paying for what happened along time ago. Its unfair and just childish really. But racist remarks shouldn't be thrown around, even as jokes. Black people use the race card way too often.
Now I'm of the belief sometimes my colour will work against me, but sometimes I can make it work for me!

newyboy

Juniors
Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

Tahu and most of the the Knights players would be nothing without Andrew johns, alot of players should thank god (andrew johns) every morning when they wake up for allowing them to ride on his coat tails.

Tahu would have nothing if it weren't for Andrew, he should have approached Joey first off, then if no resolve then management asking for Joey to be axed, if that failed then walk out.

PS: On the racism front, i live across the road form an aboriginal family, everytime they have a booze up and the "COPS" arrive (once a week), they yell out White C*** and every racist comment under the Sun, i have to lock the house up and turn the music on so the kids do not hear the language, the next day when released, they are nice as punch and say sorry and life goes on. I am still polite and lend things if need be.

Tahu is a weak arse.

Last edited:

Bench
My take on the whole thing is Tahu is to precious,he should never be picked for origin again(shouldn't have been picked this year anyway),harden up Tahu,there is a big bad world out there.
I get called worse than that every week,and I don't go off crying,I have no respect for Tahu anymore,he is a sook,Johns was just trying to fire the team up,god knows they need it.

Didgi

More details are needed. If Johns is constantly racist in camps and etc, if it happens every day, then Tahu has a case. If it was a one off incident, Tahu is a sook.

Shorty

Staff member
I love how it's what Tahu should have done, never what Joey should have done....how about just calling Inglis a merkin? How f**King hard would that have been?

Tahu has acted fine, now people will think twice before being so ignorant and socially racist.

Karlos

Juniors
Oh my God you made a comment discriminating against people from a certain area, that's discrimination based on where someone's from, they can't help that and it's complete stereotyping.

I have a friend from the Shire, I am deeply, deeply offended on his behalf.

And to those who think I'm overreacting, you wouldn't understand. Shire people have been geographically discriminated for years, it brings back memories of a dark time in their history. You aren't in their shoes.

Now, get back on that high horse of yours and continue telling others off for discriminating.

Spent last Australia day at the 'Shire'. Tremendous display of young Australians celebrating their country (is there one of those little faces that emotes extreme sarcasm).

I have very close family in Cronulla and hang sh*t on them constantly about coming from the 'shire'. Due to the fact that they are white and have some of the best opportunities and some of the best living coniditions on the planet it doesn't appear to upset them all that much.

newyboy

Juniors
Wasn't Andrew Johns helping out in one of the islands after a tsunami or some natural disaster and everyone thought he was fantastic?

oh well it was all a lie and a publicity stunt then? he didn't do it from the goodness of his heart.

bluey

Bench
Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

Tahu and most of the the Knights players would be nothing without Andrew johns, alot of players should thank god (andrew johns) every morning when they wake up for allowing them to ride on his coat tails.

Tahu would have nothing if it weren't for Andrew, he should have approached Joey first off, then if no resolve then management asking for Joey to be axed, if that failed then walk out.

PS: On the racism front, i live across the road form an aboriginal family, everytime they have a booze up and the "COPS" arrive (once a week), they yell out White C*** and every racist comment under the Sun, i have to lock the house up and turn the music on so the kids do not hear the language, the next day when released, they are nice as punch and say sorry and life goes on. I am still polite and lend things if need be.

Tahu is a weak arse.

The P>S quote IS what happens, Every one can say this or that but this what is happeing.
I was walking in the mall a moth ago and a Aborinal lady walked up and said ' Aye got two dollars you rich whit c***,
I grabbed my 10yo daughter and quickly left It is out there on both sides.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Tahu is a sook of the highest order. What Joey said doesn't paint him as a racist, it just paints him as an imbecile, but we all knew that.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
More details are needed. If Johns is constantly racist in camps and etc, if it happens every day, then Tahu has a case. If it was a one off incident, Tahu is a sook.
This is the crux of the issue. Is it a one off?

We just don't know the full story.

fuggitt

Juniors
oh yeh for the record (sorry dvd) this whole crock of trivial turd can b distilled down to one thing-complete and utter total lack of humour...ive seen it come up quite a bit with islanders...there good blokes but f**k me have a larf and lighten up...
and who hardens this lack of humour-modern media trying to be oh so fckn self righteous....sweet mutha of jesus tahu...how much are you paid a year...you earn in a week what i earn in a year....i owe $450,000-someone callin me a white cnt is the least of my worries..

bluey

Bench
oh yeh for the record (sorry dvd) this whole crock of trivial turd can b distilled down to one thing-complete and utter total lack of humour...ive seen it come up quite a bit with islanders...there good blokes but f**k me have a larf and lighten up...
and who hardens this lack of humour-modern media trying to be oh so fckn self righteous....sweet mutha of jesus tahu...how much are you paid a year...you earn in a week what i earn in a year....i owe $450,000-someone callin me a white cnt is the least of my worries..

I tend to agree with that, all Aussies now have no SOH, because if you have a chuckle at some thing bit left field watch out you are a Racist

Latest posts